Keep Stepan or Brassard?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Kevin Hayes is 10X the player defensively than Stepan was as a rookie. They are very similar players, Hayes likely having even higher upside offensively. He penalty kills pretty well and strips pucks like nobody's business. In three years I'll be disappointed if he isn't at least nearly equal to Stepan defensively.

That said. Read the rest of my post if you're wondering about how I feel about Stepan.

Well, I don't agree with this at all and fact of the matter, he was 2 years younger and was every bit as good if not better his first year.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Stepans the better player, AINEC.

but, which contract is better...which player gets you what back in return?

if im keeping brassard at his contract vs signing stepan at 7mil a season and also getting back a bluechip player like Draisatl or something insane like that...then yeah, i'll trade stepan.

but stepans the better player.

Wolfy*

Are you serious? Won't trade Brassard, we're in need of good centers, and Brass becomes better and better. He was great in the playoffs.

Then you have his bromance and chemistry with Zucc, those two are very dangerous on our top line.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Stepan is better on offense, better on defense, and 3 years younger.

Not sure why anyone would prefer Brassard.

The notion that Stepan will age faster was a good sidebar based on fairy dust, though.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Derek Brassard is the more talented player in most every aspect of the game. Better skater, better hands, better passer, better shot.

You can bring his PPG rate into the discussion but you'd still be wrong.

Yeesh.

You criticize people for giving criticism on goalies saying that they don't know the position. You clearly don't know much about skaters. Wow.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
They both bring something different to the table . We need both plain and simple. In the end stepan will be paid more so i hope he steps up accordingly and continues to progress in his career. I am brass fan and the way he plays in the playoffs but i can see how some may say step is the better player. I don't see how anyone can be down on Brass tho. In todays nhl his contract is a very good one for us, he plays well in playoffs and his chemistry with Zucc is imperative going forward for next 4/5 years.

*Bob Richards*

I'm just glad we've graduated from our questionable center depth from just a few years ago. Neither Step nor Brass are the classic "big heavy super center" but they are very strong in their own rights.

Choosing one is hard but I'd have to give the edge to Stepan because he is a three zone player.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Yeesh.

You criticize people for giving criticism on goalies saying that they don't know the position. You clearly don't know much about skaters. Wow.

I clearly don't know much about skaters because I said Derick Brassard is a better player than Derek Stepan.

Got it.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Brassard is better at taking slapshots than Stepan and that's about it. I suppose he's also better at faceoffs though that's not saying much given the opposition (and he's bad at faceoffs himself)

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
No, but your thought process at coming to that conclusion is surely reflective.

My thought process of coming to that conclusion isn't based purely on his statistical production, which you are basing your conclusion on.

The original question was who would you rather keep, Stepan or Brassard. I personally chose Brassard because of the raw tools he possesses that aren't measured by a piece of data. How well he skates, his hands (stick handling, dangling, etc) his ability to shoot the puck (all types of shots, wrist, slap, snap) etc. Not to mention his fire, and compete level which is lacking in Stepan's game. He's a notoriously soft player.

Those raw tools are some of the things he was originally judged on when scouted and eventually drafted in the first round, sixth overall, to Stepan being drafted in the second round, 51st overall.

Stepan has better statistical numbers, so if you're judging him to be the better player that way, I understand and respect it.

When in reference to who i would rather keep, I personally want the more talented guy in the fundamental aspects of the game. Making a judgement on a player based on pure production stats that can be heavily influenced by line mates, and other factors shouldn't be the only thing taken into consideration when determining who should be kept.

Using that same logic, you wouldn't want Rick Nash to play in the playoffs at all.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I said Brassard based on this year, if this is the Brassard we see from this point on. Over their career Stepan is the better player no doubt. And I want to see if Step's possession numbers rebound next season

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Stepan. Better offensively and defensively.

Brassard has never outproduced Stepan PPG wise since Stepan's rookie season back in 2010-11.

Stepan had a higher PPG than Brassard in his peak offensive year this season, despite not even playing with Nash or Zuccarello, the two top forwards on this roster.

Brassard only had 3 more goals and 2 more assists than Stepan in 12 more games.

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Keep Brassard, Stepan is a horrible skater, and his decline will come quicker than most think.

^^This. Brassard has so much more talent, he was, what, sixth overall pick in the draft that year? Steps dreams of having half the talent Brass has naturally.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Those raw tools are some of the things he was originally judged on when scouted and eventually drafted in the first round, sixth overall, to Stepan being drafted in the second round, 51st overall.

We're thinking alike here on Brassard. I posted my earlier comment before I read this. I'm a big believer in Brassard. Steps is good but Brassard brings a lot more to the table overall. I love when Brassard gets his chirping at the opponents too.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Its pretty close, but Stepan. He's younger and more productive, while also being better defensively.

Brassard is more visually talented, but that doesn't make him a better player. And their draft positions are utterly irrelevant. They mean nothing at this point.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
You all have to be kidding me if you want to keep Steps over Brassard. I wonder if you are the same ones who complain that the Rangers never have a pick in the first round. We GOT a first rounder in Brassard -- and he's not a bust! It was a great trade and I'd do it all day long every day if I had to.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Its pretty close, but Stepan. He's younger and more productive, while also being better defensively.

Brassard is more visually talented, but that doesn't make him a better player. And their draft positions are utterly irrelevant. They mean nothing at this point.

No, it's really not if you take into consideration the history of first round busts that the Rangers as a team have in their history. We got a player who was picked in the first round on a platter.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
No, it's really not if you take into consideration the history of first round busts that the Rangers as a team have in their history. We got a player who was picked in the first round on a platter.

I'm honestly not sure what your point is here and how it pertains to Brassard being a better player than Stepan.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
You all have to be kidding me if you want to keep Steps over Brassard. I wonder if you are the same ones who complain that the Rangers never have a pick in the first round. We GOT a first rounder in Brassard -- and he's not a bust! It was a great trade and I'd do it all day long every day if I had to.

I hope this post isn't serious.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Brassard is more naturally talented and has the ability to really dominate a game when he's on. But for all the strides he's made, he just doesn't bring that consistently enough.

Stepan, for all his accomplishments, has yet to put together an 82 game season that fully represents what he is capable of. However, if healthy I think he outproduces Brassard and brings a bit more consistency.

Without factoring in contracts, I'd take Stepan without too much gnashing of teeth.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
How is it not serious? Name some players we had that were a success that were picked in the first round in the last 20 years. Brassard isn't a player you let get away.

He was drafted 9 years ago by another team, I am not sure how the draft factors in at this point of his career.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
How is it not serious? Name some players we had that were a success that were picked in the first round in the last 20 years. Brassard isn't a player you let get away.

Your reasoning for keeping Brassard is that he was a first round pick - FOR ANOTHER TEAM - and he worked out here.

That is some....very, very questionable, uh, "logic".

Guess we should keep Kreider over Hank, then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad