Confirmed with Link: Katz Group in legal battle with Boyle Street

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Boyle Street evidently alleging that the reason it wasn't financially viable was that the $1 lease was conditional on removing the $5m obligation. Katz Group denies this so we shall see.

I thought reporters reported facts? This dude just takes a side and polishes it.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I thought reporters reported facts? This dude just takes a side and polishes it.
You’re living in the past. Now reporters need to apply the appropriate narrative to keep their jobs. The reason he doesn’t understand it is that he doesn’t understand business. This lawsuit is actually good for the charity because it means that Katz group wants to continue to work with them. The alternative is to give them their 5M and tell them to never phone again. Because they don’t keep their word. And likely Katz doesn’t like people who he does business with sticking their hands in his pockets.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
You’re living in the past. Now reporters need to apply the appropriate narrative to keep their jobs.
Boyle Street evidently alleging that the reason it wasn't financially viable was that the $1 lease was conditional on removing the $5m obligation. Katz Group denies this so we shall see.

It was in the original story also.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
You’re living in the past. Now reporters need to apply the appropriate narrative to keep their jobs.

Opinion columnists writing in newspapers has been a thing for as long as I've been able to read newspapers. He is definitely sharing a perspective but it's not presented as facts. He even explicitly says that the claims of neither party have yet to be proven in court.

Did none of you read people like Kerry Diotte back in the day? I never really read the Edmonton Journal but there was a whole bunch of regular opinion columnists in the 90s. It's been a thing since at least the early 1900s. I even remember the picture of Kerry that that link mentions is common for the editorials.

This lawsuit is actually good for the charity because it means that Katz group wants to continue to work with them.
This lawsuit is that they explicitly that they do not want to pay the $5m because they feel Boyle Street has not satisfactorily tried to raise funds and would prefer to proactively litigate that they do not owe the money rather than wait for Boyle Street to start the process. Anything more about their reasoning is speculative (my own included).

The alternative is to give them their 5M and tell them to never phone again.

I'm not sure why you think this is the only alternative. There are several alternatives.
  1. They could just pay the $5m and be done with Boyle Street.
  2. They could pay the $5m and continue working with Boyle Street.
  3. They could work out a settlement with Boyle Street if they feel that Boyle Street has not upheld their part of the agreement and handled this all behind closed doors.
  4. They could sue, win, and keep their money, and also tell them to never phone again.
  5. They could sue, win, and keep working with Boyle Street.
  6. They could just not pay the money and leave it to Boyle Street to have to litigate to get the money.
  7. Probably a half dozen more that I haven't even thought about.

It was in the original story also.

Fair enough. I definitely missed it and apologize for the repost of it.

Reactions: Sra1974

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Opinion columnists writing in newspapers has been a thing for as long as I've been able to read newspapers. He is definitely sharing a perspective but it's not presented as facts. He even explicitly says that the claims of neither party have yet to be proven in court.

Did none of you read people like Kerry Diotte back in the day? I never really read the Edmonton Journal but there was a whole bunch of regular opinion columnists in the 90s. It's been a thing since at least the early 1900s. I even remember the picture of Kerry that that link mentions is common for the editorials.

This lawsuit is that they explicitly that they do not want to pay the $5m because they feel Boyle Street has not satisfactorily tried to raise funds and would prefer to proactively litigate that they do not owe the money rather than wait for Boyle Street to start the process. Anything more about their reasoning is speculative (my own included).

I'm not sure why you think this is the only alternative. There are several alternatives.
  3. They could work out a settlement with Boyle Street if they feel that Boyle Street has not upheld their part of the agreement and handled this all behind closed doors.
  4. They could sue, win, and keep their money, and also tell them to never phone again.
  6. They could just not pay the money and leave it to Boyle Street to have to litigate to get the money.

@Spawn
I usually go to Reddit (or HFBoards) for biased, opinionated narrative. ;) If that’s the pond that Ej Newspaper reporters want to fish in then so be it.

Papers also used to place all editorial pieces on page 3 so you clearly knew you weren’t reading news. Nowadays it’s in every article on every page. There is no delineation. You don’t know what is editorial or,perhaps, fact based reporting.

I’m also betting that Keith Gerein went to journalism school not opinion ranting school. He’s a reporter that is picking sides is my point.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

So, you like doing business with people who cheat you? And if you’re paid to have an opinion, maybe it should be a little better than progressive greed. Btw, it stated in the original piece that they wanted to keep doing business. That just ignored too. It’s like mars and Neptune.

Reactions: oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
@Spawn
I usually go to Reddit (or HFBoards) for biased, opinionated narrative. ;) If that’s the pond that Ej Newspaper reporters want to fish in then so be it.

Papers also used to place all editorial pieces on page 3 so you clearly knew you weren’t reading news. Nowadays it’s in every article on every page. There is no delineation. You don’t know what is editorial or,perhaps, fact based reporting.

I’m also betting that Keith Gerein went to journalism school not opinion ranting school. He’s a reporter that is picking sides is my point.
Well they are bought and paid for now. Just saying, hard to not have the guy who’s signing your cheques opinion. Especially with the fed election coming they expect to have another pay day.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
There are other Edmonton organizations that also had their roots started in the 1970's as many individuals and organizations noted people sleeping rough in various parts of the city, ravines, and in the river valley during that time period.
Most of those were very few compared to today's were there because of alcoholism and could have had housing if they wanted but would not or were not able to because of their addiction

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Most of those were very few compared to today's were there because of alcoholism and could have had housing if they wanted but would not or were not able to because of their addiction
My dad slept rough in winter 1944 when he was 15 in strathcona. Got picked up by the drill crews on breakup. When it was cold he stayed at the hotel.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
@Spawn

This is so key. Theres a real distortion in what is a fact news piece or an opinion piece in todays newspapers and not a good distinction. Many news articles written with very clear distortions as if they are editorial rather than news. The notion of what is objective or subjective being seemingly not understood.

Next that there are so many opinion pieces now in papers. It seems as if every journalist employed wants to write opinion pieces instead of just writing news articles. The latter could even be seen as a troubling indictment on who or what qualities are presently attracted to journalism. Where as at one time it would be to be honest and factually present news and want to do that the will of journalists today is arguably to influence the news and to define what is news and to distort and subvert the news. This appears to be the present attraction in journalism.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There's nothing new about columnists or opinion pieces in journalism and it states its an article by a columnist literally at the top above the title.

It's fine if you missed that, but lets not pretend like this is new phenomena

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
There's nothing new about columnists or opinion pieces in journalism and it states its an article by a columnist literally at the top above the title.

To a degree you are right, but it is a changed phenomena in how widespread it has become.

The issue that I was pointing out was that most mainstream journalism has moved away from strictly fact gathering and reporting of said information thus allowing the reader to form their own opinion of the subject matter based on that, to an environment now where writers gather information, parse out facts and information that supports their own personal bias, inject opinion sometimes subvertly but more often overtly, and in some cases, they have even become thought-activists, using their “news“ platforms to influence and advocate thought paradigms.

It’s the fact that it’s in the majority of so-called news articles nowadays without being sectionalized as an editorial statement that is deceptive and frankly, off putting of mainstream media. Keith Gerein still states he’s a senior journalist at EJ on his LinkedIn. I’d suggest he's an opinion writer Instead. Huge difference.

It's just another reason why mainstream media is struggling to survive. They have lost their way.

Anyhoo, I see your point. It was an editorial, one of many throughout the EJ and it’s “news reporting”. Given that none of the facts around the matter have been communicated yet in court, I choose to wait until I pass judgement on Katz or Boyle in the matter. There’s lots that we (and probably Gerein) don’t yet know.

Thanks for the discussion.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

It used to just be editorials. This isn’t an editorial, he isn’t an editor, and the socially important aspects he gets totally wrong. No it’s not ok to be gifted money from others because you’ll look bad if you complain.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kulak was in playoff form last night. Good to see he’s ramping up… or trying everything to not be the TDL casualty (which he proved again last night why he shouldn’t be).

Reactions: AM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad