Confirmed with Link: Katz Group in legal battle with Boyle Street

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don’t doubt that Boyle streets plan all along was just to rely on that backdrop gift but just pay the money OEG. It’s a terrible look shaking down a charity, especially given the current climate around homelessness in the city. OEG got what they wanted and 5M is nothing to them. Pay the money and then never take another call from Boyle street again and just be done with them.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
He made the agreement, he should follow through. Having it in place probably made fundraising less of a priority, and care more of one.

Personally, I'm not a fan of his but he has done a lot of good. Hopefully this gets sorted and Boyle Street doesn't have any shortcomings.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
“…we remain supportive of Boyle Street Community Services and their plans to move into the King Thunderbird Centre, which will provide them with a long-term, sustainable facility to deliver their services," said Tim Shipton, OEG Sports & Entertainment's executive vice president of external affairs.

Monsters:rolleyes::sarcasm:

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Given that it’s a CBC written article I’m going to wait until I understand the facts of the matter before I get too churned up here.

My suspicion is that the “conditional donation” (CBCs choice of words) is being pulled because the conditions haven’t been met. Unfortunately, because it’s a charity and billionaires, pearls will get clutched here, but if the charity signed a contract and didn’t follow through on their obligations, it would be in Katz’s order to walk away. Same as if it’s the other way and Katz has reneged.

But in this case it appears that it’s Katz that has launched legal proceeding so it makes sense to assume that the charity has reneged on some of its terms.

I guess court or a negotiated settlement aside will sort this out eventually.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
mr-burns-behave.gif

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Oh I can just imagine what the thread on CP looks like right now.

Reading the article it’s a bad look on Katz but if Boyle Street is indeed in breach of their contract should Katz really be required to pay the extra 5M?

This.

It was actually a good faith move by Katz Group in the beginning. You do your best to raise the other capital, and if you don't succeed we'll back stop it. If they didn't even really try to raise capital on their own, they're effectively treating the Katz money as guaranteed, which obviously wasn't what anyone agreed to.

Devil is in the details of what they did to collect their portion of the funds, obviously.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Whether the conditions were met or not... its a freakin bad look on a billionaire owner. It's a damn homeless organization that you're taking to court because they didn't fundraise on their own... and you benefitted from taking over their property.?

Katz is getting ripped on Social media right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Lol why is the Katz group bad for not wanting to pay a “conditional donation” if the conditions weren’t met?

Because people here like to go off on rich people something something lol

The fishy part IMO is why Boyle just didn't accept the extension when offered? Is it because they would be obligated to continue their fundraising work....something OEG was questioning from the getgo?

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Lol why is the Katz group bad for not wanting to pay a “conditional donation” if the conditions weren’t met?

It looks to me like the conditions for the conditional donation were met. Boyle Street was unable to fundraise enough money to take the donation off the table.

Imagine if NHL teams could sue other NHL teams after trades with conditions because they think the player with the conditions didn't try hard enough.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It looks to me like the conditions for the conditional donation were met. Boyle Street was unable to fundraise enough money to take the donation off the table.

Imagine if NHL teams could sue other NHL teams after trades with conditions because they think the player with the conditions didn't try hard enough.

Well they would be in their right to do that if the team trading the player offered a performance guarantee. That would never happen though, so it's irrelevant.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He made the agreement, he should follow through. Having it in place probably made fundraising less of a priority, and care more of one.

Personally, I'm not a fan of his but he has done a lot of good. Hopefully this gets sorted and Boyle Street doesn't have any shortcomings.
The boyle company made an agreement for the conditions and didnt follow through.

Why should Katz follow through.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

How do you figure this? It sounds like they would get a top off if they couldn’t fundraise enough if they did x,y,b and sounds like they didn’t do x,y,b.

I’m not even going to bother with that NHL team scenario.

Reactions: frag2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At the end of the day taking a group like Boyle Street to court is just a horrible look no matter how you look at it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Whether the conditions were met or not... its a freakin bad look on a billionaire owner. It's a damn homeless organization that you're taking to court because they didn't fundraise on their own... and you benefitted from taking over their property.?

Katz is getting ripped on Social media right now and rightfully so.
Social media isn't the courts and we should stop pretending it is or is representative of views. As judged by responses already in this thread we see a balance of views here rather than the typical hive mind of social media.

People know I'm fervently against Arena/Stadia public fund supported builds, was staunchly against this Arena being built. But that doesn't dissuade me from noting the crux of the contention that Boyle street did not meet the conditions of the original agreement and as stated were instead relying on the 5M. That is counter to what the agreement was.

Further, I could say its even a bad look how many people wanted this project, where it is, and with the agreements (which commonly tend to not to come to fruition in these transactions) and are now complaining about the latest. Ironically more than a few people that used to post here were enraged that anybody would oppose any and all of the Arena agreements and would typically posit all the good that would come from that and that anybody that couldn't see that was "a clown". Well here we are. yet again with another of the agreements not having materialized as originally announced.

I've also long encouraged people to donate to already established charities rather than the Oilers foundation or 50/50 tickets and the like whereby only a fraction of the money gets to service where its needed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad