Kasperi Kapanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
5 years from now.. The future is very gord. So bright.. :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::):):nod::nod::nod::nod::amazed::amazed::amazed:

Nylander-Marner-Kapanenn
Leivo-Brown-Johnson
Leipsic-Gauthier-Verhueaehgea
Devane-Carrick-Komarov

Rielly-Harringhton
Valiev- Gardiner
Nielsen- Granberg

Gibson/Bibeau/SParks

- Rakesh

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm completely underwhelmed looking at this roster.

Shanahan, Hunter, and Dubas have massive amounts of work to do.

ChickenTikkaMasala*

Yes. i am deeply sorry i forgot about Berny. Sorry sir.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
What I didn't realize is that Kapanen is still only 18. He hasn't even turned 19 yet. Dude is still extremely young.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Name me the last Finnish star forward not named Selanne or Koivu. Every year there is always some overhyped Fin in the draft that never amounts to much.

Obviously, Kapanen can become that caliber of player but I'm not going to be holding my breath on that one.

Not a single blue chipper in this trade.
I agree that finland hasn't produced high scoring superstars in years. Barkov is good, but not nearly as great as selanne or koivu. Mikko Koivu is a two way player and not a scorer. Granlund is a very smart player with pretty high skill and scoring touch with the passing hand. I see Kapanen can be almost as good as granlund offensively. Hoping Kapanen can play more of that Mikko Koivu type real solid two way game. That would make my days. Score something like Dubinsky and Granlund and still play that solid Mikko Koivu game. Let's see mothers. Finland hasn't produced great superstars in ages. The age of Selanne, Koivu and Raimo Helminen is over. Jari Kurri is a grandpa soon. Tikkanen still drinking that good stuff.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I never understod reasoning like that. Sure, I dont mind speaking in generalisations but one got to keep in mind that an individuals chances to achieve something has nothing to do with what country, group he or she comes from.

You act as if track records have no merit. Finland struggles to produce quality forwards for whatever reason. This is a known fact; perhaps a generalization but one based on fact. I know that some will argue population, and while that does have some weight, Finland is regarded as goalie factory despite this limitation.

Also, I specifically mentioned that he still has all the potential to become a star caliber forward just like Koivu/Selanne. I never reasoned that he will suck, I stated I wouldn't be counting on him becoming a star player on the basis Finland's track record with forwards. And yes, some are very overrated; look at the hype that Pulkkinen got leading up to his draft as an example.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm completely underwhelmed looking at this roster.

Shanahan, Hunter, and Dubas have massive amounts of work to do.
That's why rebuilds don't take 1 or 2 seasons. The Leafs have some nice pieces going forward for sure but if you expected that to be the team 5 years from now you're just being silly

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
5 years from now.. The future is very gord. So bright.. :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::):):nod::nod::nod::nod::amazed::amazed::amazed:

Nylander-Marner-Kapanenn
Leivo-Brown-Johnson
Devane-Carrick-Komarov

Rielly-Harringhton
Valiev- Gardiner
Nielsen- Granberg

Gibson/Bibeau/SParks

- Rakesh
UNREAL CORE! I love what the leafs have been doing! All the guys you listed are going to have great NHL careers! I cant wait to see them flourish and put Toronto back on the map!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
People realize that the whole point of a rebuild is to ensure we don't have to hope for trades like Kessel, PHaneuf etc to try and contend right?

We are going to suck the next two years and draft studs comparable to Mitch freaking Marner.

We could not preach a rebuild if Kessel was still on this team. You have to tear down the foundation before you rebuild or you will collapse again.

Do you want Mitch Marner, Nylander, whoever we draft next year, Kapanen to have Kessel's work ethic? Young players are taken under the wings by the veterans. By age, Kessel is a veteran player but by his maturity he is just a happy go lucky guy who is happy to just score goals and make 8M.

Marner is ultra competitive. We need more of that. Less of Kessel types.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012

Nylander-Marner-Kapanenn
Leivo-Brown-Johnson
Devane-Carrick-Komarov

Rielly-Harringhton
Valiev- Gardiner
Nielsen- Granberg

Gibson/Bibeau/SParks

- Rakesh

All these prospects outside of the first line, Brown and Rielly are likely to be fringe NHL'ers who likely will not even make the NHL, and if they do they are non impact dime a dozen types that can be had in free agency. I hope most of the players you have penciled in (except for the first line and Rielly) are not even Leafs in 5 years, as most of them have minimal upside. On the bright side, if that is the Leafs team in 5 years we are a lock for the top pick. Not a fan of the Kessel trade, but considering Kapanen and Harrington become top 8 prospects in the Leafs sytem, it just shows what an untalented prospect pool the Leafs actually have.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Watching that video of him being drafted...he is definitely not as short as some of you are claiming him to be.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Teravainen had 24 points in 49 games (0.49 PPG) in his draft year, and 33 points in 50 games (0.66 PPG- third on his team in PPG, excluding NHL players) in his draft+1. Kapanen had 14 points in 47 games (0.30 PPG) in his draft year, and 26 points in 47 games (0.55 PPG- second on his team) in his draft+1 season.

Worth noting for some that considering age, it doesn't make much sense to compare Kapanen's 3rd season with Teravainen's 3rd.

Given birthdate, makes a lot more sense to compare Teravainen's 12-13 season (Sep 94 birth) with Kapenen's 14-15 season (July 96 birth), like done above.

Now compared to previous season, Kapanen's production increased by 50% in 6 fewer games, for a 72% PPG increase (I just took their regular season play since in all cases their playoffs are a tiny sample size and adding up leagues seems a bad idea). That's actually considerably greater progression than Teravainen, who went from 18 to 31, a 57% increase in PPG.

So comparatively Kapanen statistically improved more in his draft + 1 year, whereas Teravainen had the better production. Worth noting differences in team though.

• Teravainen played on Jokerit, which went 38-15-2-5 for 111 points, first overall. Team scored 168 goals, 4th in the league. Was 4th in PPG if you include a 16 game stint of Valtteri Filppula, so reasonably you could say 3rd. Highest scorer was Ilari Fillpula at 54 points.
  • Kapanen played on KalPA, which had 97 points for 6th overall, but only scored 134 goals, 11th in the league. He was 2nd in PPG (several pretty close to his numbers on the squad btw), with the team's top scorer Michal Birner with 36 points.

Not to argue who is better out of the two btw, but looking at the above and considering the differences in teams, Kapanen's progression this year looks pretty solid, and doesn't fit the narative of busting.

That said I'll readily admin I haven't seen him play this year and am purely looking at stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad