Kasperi Kapanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
i see this guy as a second line winger, but probably third line when we have our guys in place. Hornqvist type

Timashov - Nylander - Marner
J. Vesey/ N. Soshnikiov - 2016/17 McLeod? - Johnson
Brown - Gauthier - Kapanen
Leipsic -Carrick- Leivo

with Bracco, Dzierkals and some 2016/17 guys waiting in the wings.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
many variations to play with here:

jvr-matthews-marner
timashov-nylander-kapanen
johnson-?-bracco
soshnikov/leivo-gauthier-brown

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm a big fan of the Tarot Cards. haha

Just my opinion, but I don't think that he would be ready for full-time duty and the way that the Detroit model has developed players, it would seem like they like him to be fully ready before he's brought up.

Of course the won't come up until he's ready. I was just laughing at how you seem to think you know where he will be at 10-12-16 months from now.

Do you think that he has a legit shot at making the team out of camp next year?

I don't understand how somebody could say he doesn't have a shot. He's a prospect who is our property who will be at our camp. Not having a shot does not compute.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kapanen really struggled at the last WJC going 5 games 1 goals 0 assist 1 point.

Perhaps that is one of the reason Pens soured on him and made him available to the Leafs in trade.

Being his home country this time will add more pressure for Kapanen to have a big tournament.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Kapanen really struggled at the last WJC going 5 games 1 goals 0 assist 1 point.

Perhaps that is one of the reason Pens soured on him and made him available to the Leafs in trade.

Being his home country this time will add more pressure for Kapanen to have a big tournament.

Or maybe they didn't sour on him "make him available" and negotiation simply required them to give up their top forward prospect.

But yes he does have a decent sized monkey on his back going into this tournament.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Didn't he fall in the draft for the same reason? He was ranked on par with Nylander at one point during his draft year.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Or maybe they didn't sour on him "make him available" and negotiation simply required them to give up their top forward prospect.

But yes he does have a decent sized monkey on his back going into this tournament.

I imagine the Leafs wanted Pouliot and Kapanen, whichever one Pittsburgh buckled on, the Leafs would receive a lesser quality prospect of the other position. ( Harrington being lesser than Pouliot.)

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Of course the won't come up until he's ready. I was just laughing at how you seem to think you know where he will be at 10-12-16 months from now.

I don't understand how somebody could say he doesn't have a shot. He's a prospect who is our property who will be at our camp. Not having a shot does not compute.

I never said that I knew for sure. It was my opinion that he would need another year.

So anyone in the Leafs system has a legit chance to make the Leafs out of camp? Korostolev could make the Leafs out of camp next year?

sda

Feb 18, 2008
I never said that I knew for sure. It was my opinion that he would need another year.

So anyone in the Leafs system has a legit chance to make the Leafs out of camp? Korostolev could make the Leafs out of camp next year?
Korostolev is the least likely prospect to make the leafs. He is likely 3 years away if he improves

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Yeah that's what camp is for. Kapanen moreso than Korostelev because he's more talented and will have two years of pro under his belt.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Snipers go hot and cold all the time.

I think his production upon arriving in the AHL was pretty good and more then redeems the WJC tournament production.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Snipers go hot and cold all the time.

I think his production upon arriving in the AHL was pretty good and more then redeems the WJC tournament production.

I think Kappy would like this years WJC performance to wipe out last years.

A strong bounce back leading Team Finland in scoring and leading his team to a medal will do that on home ice.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Yeah that's what camp is for. Kapanen moreso than Korostelev because he's more talented and will have two years of pro under his belt.

Okay, so what would you say his chances are to make the team as it stands?

Here's what my argument was before...

I figured that there would be a total of 3 spots in the top 6 available come next season. At least Komarov, Kadri, (1 of JVR, Lupul or Bozak) will be on the roster. That leaves room for ideally 3 spots that will be filled from outside spots, whether it would be free agency, trade or a prospect.

So in those 3 positions, I would expect the advantage to go towards Nylander and Marner. That's not a sure thing, but both of those players seem to have the edge in terms of skill.

Kapanen, in my opinion, would be in that next tier of players that could push for a spot, but is very unlikely.

And the way that the management has decided to over-develop their players, this seems like the approach that they would take. Does that mean that I'm right? Of course not. I'm usually wrong (ask my wife). But trying to follow what they're saying, this is my interpretation of it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Kappy would like this years WJC performance to wipe out last years.

A strong bounce back leading Team Finland in scoring and leading his team to a medal will do that on home ice.

I think a bronze would be a real nice accomplishment for team Finland. There are a lot of stacked teams, I like a lot of what Finland has going on minus their centre depth.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think a bronze would be a real nice accomplishment for team Finland. There are a lot of stacked teams, I like a lot of what Finland has going on minus their centre depth.

With Mikko Rantanen and Kasperi Kapanen added to top prospects Jesse Puljujarvi & Patrik Laine the Fins will have a potential dynamic offense.

Julius Nattinen the Ducks 2nd rounder that plays in Barrie will be a big time centre for the Fins blessed with those wingers.

Winning on home ice is tough for any country because of the added pressure to have success, but the Fins could be in the gold medal game.

Kapanen would love to help his Country win it all.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
With Mikko Rantanen and Kasperi Kapanen added to top prospects Jesse Puljujarvi & Patrik Laine the Fins will have a potential dynamic offense.

Julius Nattinen the Ducks 2nd rounder that plays in Barrie will be a big time centre for the Fins blessed with those wingers.

Winning on home ice is tough for any country because of the added pressure to have success, but the Fins could be in the gold medal game.

Hintz is a nice player as well, just comparing their centre depth versus Canada, US, and even Sweden...it's a tough tournament. I maintain Bronze is a nice accomplishment.

Canada is the favourite right now but the U.S. has a good team (defense is questionable), Russia is looking good too. Sweden is also nice, huge addition to get Nylander.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

He seems to be injured a lot, and physical play is non excitant, it will be interesting to see if playing for his country can amp him up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He seems to be injured a lot, and physical play is non excitant, it will be interesting to see if playing for his country can amp him up.

Kapanen has a reputation of being a perimeter player and doesn't like the traffic areas nor the contact.

His NHL future as such is still to be determined as his game overall is more conducive to the Euro leagues and bigger ice and more skating and less physical contact.

Lets hope he develops more and overcomes some of these things that might hold him back as he has a ton of skill but durability and style of game a concern at present.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I bet half the people making comments here haven't watched him play more than a handful of games. Some of the comments would indicate they haven't seen him play more than a few games or they know SFA about hockey.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
With Mikko Rantanen RW and Kasperi Kapanen RW added to top prospects Jesse Puljujarvi RW & Patrik Laine RWthe Fins will have a potential dynamic offense.

Kinda sucks they are all RW

mikebel111*

I bet half the people making comments here haven't watched him play more than a handful of games. Some of the comments would indicate they haven't seen him play more than a few games or they know SFA about hockey.

Lets be honest here. 98% of this board dont watch and care about the Marlies. They are like "OMG look at those points, he is such a terrible player and is doing so bad. We got a bad piece in the Kessel trade"!

Kapanen looks better and better every game. His points are very impressive as his role has been changed a lot. Sometimes he plays checking role, sometimes scoring role. I have been really happy with his play as he is showing improvement. Not sure someone can say "meh" when he has been good so far.

Its sad all these people who claim these outlandish comments dont even watch Marlies games.

Heck if I had to ask half these posters, who the Marlies head coach is? They wouldnt know.

I have been very impressed with Kapanen and is looking like a real good player. Has been very good with the Marlies

Ducati1098VII

Nov 11, 2008
Okay, so what would you say his chances are to make the team as it stands?

Here's what my argument was before...

I figured that there would be a total of 3 spots in the top 6 available come next season. At least Komarov, Kadri, (1 of JVR, Lupul or Bozak) will be on the roster. That leaves room for ideally 3 spots that will be filled from outside spots, whether it would be free agency, trade or a prospect.

So in those 3 positions, I would expect the advantage to go towards Nylander and Marner. That's not a sure thing, but both of those players seem to have the edge in terms of skill.

Kapanen, in my opinion, would be in that next tier of players that could push for a spot, but is very unlikely.

And the way that the management has decided to over-develop their players, this seems like the approach that they would take. Does that mean that I'm right? Of course not. I'm usually wrong (ask my wife). But trying to follow what they're saying, this is my interpretation of it.

Nylander Marner Brown would be the 3 spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad