Proposal: Kapanen for Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yawn.......sorry didn't really read the essay...leafs need D help... they will trade forward depth and explore UFA like Shultz...its already been said internally. This includes Alex P from the blues.... sorry about pointing out super obvious holes in the oilers ...its .ot hard to see what this teams needs to be a seroius contender. Until then have fun ....
There you go. The Leafs sign Petro and the Oilers resign Hall. That was easy. Now everyone's happy!

Which of these two is actually most likely to happen by the way.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
There you go. The Leafs sign Petro and the Oilers resign Hall. That was easy. Now everyone's happy!

Which of these two is actually most likely to happen by the way.
Leafs signing AP......to answer your question

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
The leafs will use that forward depth to help on the back end... they may chase a UFA right shot d man too...lole a justin Shultz

With what cap space? What you are saying makes no sense unless they move a big chunk of $

Edit. Oops I didnt realize I was responding to a troll acount until I read the rest of the thread. ...

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Leafs could definitely use a RHD but Oilers don't have one to give up so they're not good trading partners.

I don't even think it makes sense to move on from Larsson at this point unless the Oilers add another piece.

Not really sure about the AA and Kapanen comparisons though, Kapanen has never seemed like a player who's allergic to puck battles to me but the Oilers are already in on AA so we'll see where that goes.

Not sure what the Leafs do with their defense, they seem to obviously need a major upgrade there but have no cap to do it and Dubas doesn't seem willing to move any of his big money forwards to get the job done.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Jones would be more available for sure. Les sproven than Bear, plus a lefty and there is already 2 long term LHD on the Oilers, plus some more in the pipeline

If i was an NHL GM though, Id be targeting Jones. He has looked solid and had all the tools. He didnt play massive minutes yet so hes unproven (thus a lower cost).

Smart to target but he'd be dumb for the Oilers to move.

Holland should be praying for someone to take Russell's contract. Then the debate is do you move Benning to make way for Bouchard or maybe try to bring Green back on a super cheap 1 year deal and move Benning to recoup some picks.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Smart to target but he'd be dumb for the Oilers to move.

Holland should be praying for someone to take Russell's contract. Then the debate is do you move Benning to make way for Bouchard or maybe try to bring Green back on a super cheap 1 year deal and move Benning to recoup some picks.

Yeah Russell was probably moveable before this happened but I don’t think so now with how things are looking cap wise next year but you never know, an advantage is that the actual dollars owed to him are way less then his cap hit so that will be attractive to teams with money issues.

I’d hope they could re-sign Green at a price under Bennings q/o and then deal Benning in a package for an adequate 3C or to recoup picks as you suggested. Run Bear, Larsson, Green on the right with Bouchard likely eventually being worked in.

If the Oilers are targeting a forward from the Leafs, I’d rather see them pursue Kerfoot if he were available rather then Kap or Johnsson. Maybe something around Benning+ for Kerfoot.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Yeah Russell was probably moveable before this happened but I don’t think so now with how things are looking cap wise next year but you never know, an advantage is that the actual dollars owed to him are way less then his cap hit so that will be attractive to teams with money issues.

I’d hope they could re-sign Green at a price under Bennings q/o and then deal Benning in a package for an adequate 3C or to recoup picks as you suggested. Run Bear, Larsson, Green on the right with Bouchard likely eventually being worked in.

If the Oilers are targeting a forward from the Leafs, I’d rather see them pursue Kerfoot if he were available rather then Kap or Johnsson. Maybe something around Benning+ for Kerfoot.
Leafs are rumored to have interest in Benning. Your prospal is good . Kerfoot is available for D help.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No, not interested in moving Bear.

Benning could be had, but obviously we'd be discussing a much lesser piece than Kapanen.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
How do the Leafs manage that capwise if the defenseman coming back is established and better than Bear? The only reason a team might move such a player for Kapanen and futures is because of the cap and the Leaf's cap situation is worse than almost any other team. Two decent established RHD's to replace Barrie and Ceci will cost $7M at least if the Leafs got very lucky. Take away Kapanen's salary and that leaves you with less than $1M in cap space on 18 contracts if the cap stays at $81.5M.

The cap dictates that the Leafs will very likely have to move one or two forwards for mostly futures unless the want to run a very rookie laden defense.

barrie and Ceci gone and moving Kapanen in a trade would give them around 10 mill in cap space. Plenty of cap room for a more established dman.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
barrie and Ceci gone and moving Kapanen in a trade would give them around 10 mill in cap space. Plenty of cap room for a more established dman.
Yes and no... I do believe your correct and that they will take a run at AP...but at same time they need to reinforce the D .... they will trade a least one forward for D help

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Right now at best the cap will be $81.4M. Even without resigning Barrie and Ceci, and with Kapanen gone for free the Leafs would have $7.9M in cap space to sign 7 players. Sign AP and the Leafs have 0 cap space to sign 6 players. To sign AP at something like $8M the Leafs would need to move one of Marner or Nylander. And if it is Nylander, they would have to move one and likely two of Kapanen, Johnsson and Kerfoot with almost no salary coming back.

The roster below leaves $6.7M to fill in 6-7 forwards. And since most teams need about $0.75-1M to deal with short term injuries. That's actually more like $6M to fill out the roster.
Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
edit.svg

RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kerfoot, Alexander
$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Pietrangelo, Alex
$8,000,000
D
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
D
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Lehtonen, Mikko
$925,000
D
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rosén, Calle
$750,000
D
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Right now at best the cap will be $81.4M. Even without resigning Barrie and Ceci, and with Kapanen gone for free the Leafs would have $7.9M in cap space to sign 7 players. Sign AP and the Leafs have 0 cap space to sign 6 players. To sign AP at something like $8M the Leafs would need to move one of Marner or Nylander. And if it is Nylander, they would have to move one and likely two of Kapanen, Johnsson and Kerfoot with almost no salary coming back.

The roster below leaves $6.7M to fill in 6-7 forwards. And since most teams need about $0.75-1M to deal with short term injuries. That's actually more like $6M to fill out the roster.
Roster

toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
edit.svg

RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kerfoot, Alexander
$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Pietrangelo, Alex
$8,000,000
D
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
D
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Lehtonen, Mikko
$925,000
D
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rosén, Calle
$750,000
D
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Which is totally fine if they are going after AP. They will make it work. If it means nylander that what it means... kapanen AJ kerfott all available to go for D help. There was a previous poster who said ..when it's a player like AP you find a way... its that's simple

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That wont get you kapanen or quality winger depth that you seek. Larsson may

Jones is, or will be better than Larsson (very soon). Either you havent followed the Oilers much, or you overrate Larrson/underrate Jones. Id personally take Jones over Larsson going forward

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Jones is, or will be better than Larsson (very soon). Either you havent followed the Oilers much, or you overrate Larrson/underrate Jones. Id personally take Jones over Larsson going forward
I meant Bennett not jones at all....

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

I think that there is zero chance that the Leafs are signing Pietro, but the Leafs don't need to carry 3 spares. They can carry no spares and rely on emergency call ups. They also have Spezza who will re-sign for 700K. And then Barabanov and likely Robertson - both under 1M.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Roster

toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
edit.svg

RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kerfoot, Alexander
$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Pietrangelo, Alex
$8,000,000
D
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
D
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Lehtonen, Mikko
$925,000
D
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rosén, Calle
$750,000
D
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I assume 6ix just added Barrie's 2.75, Ceci's 4.5 and Kapanen's 3.2 together for more than 10 million

And this is why that method is terrible, and it doesn't work. It assumes every player that was on your roster this year was there for the entire season(no fractional cap) and will be there next year with no raises. We added Campbell, Clifford, Rosen, and Malgin mid season, Engvall, and Sandin among others were here for fractions of the season and Muzzin, Holl, Engvall, and Campbell are combining for 4.225 this year compared to last year.

Just start fresh with next years numbers to determine next years cap. It's way more accurate and the numbers are literally sitting right there on CapFriendly whenever you need them.

Sorry, that's my rant for the day. Pet peeve when I see people do that.

Reactions: biotk

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

Roster

toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Hyman, Zach
$2,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Matthews, Auston
$11,634,000
C
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Marner, Mitchell
$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Engvall, Pierre
$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Tavares, John
$11,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kapanen, Kasperi
$3,200,000
edit.svg

RW
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Kerfoot, Alexander
$3,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rielly, Morgan
$5,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Pietrangelo, Alex
$8,000,000
D
UFA
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Andersen, Frederik
$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Muzzin, Jake
$5,625,000
D
NMC
UFA - 4
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Holl, Justin
$2,000,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 3
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Campbell, Jack
$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Sandin, Rasmus
$894,167
D
RFA - 2
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Lehtonen, Mikko
$925,000
D
UFA - 1
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Rosén, Calle
$750,000
D
UFA - 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I appreciate your work but where the heck did I say anything about signing Pieteangelo? My original post was saying I’d rather trade Kapanen and other assets for an established dman, top 4 of course that has term. Many signed to deals under 8 million.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I appreciate your work but where the heck did I say anything about signing Pieteangelo? My original post was saying I’d rather trade Kapanen and other assets for an established dman, top 4 of course that has term. Many signed to deals under 8 million.
My apologies. You were not the guy who brought up AP. That said even moving Kapanen if the established top 4 d has a salary equal or greater than his, the leafs still have a significant cap issue to deal with. It's not unsolvable since there are a lot of assets that can be moved. But the forward depth could take a fairly significant hit to address the defense.

Bennings name has come up in this thread. He's not a high profile guy but he is actually quite successful on the bottom pairing and he is a true RHD. And while he made $1.9M this year I think he could be re-signed for less. He is a polarizing guy on the Oiler board, but much of the issues people have had with him have been around his play when he is forced to take on a much more significant role. If he is on the 3rd pairing or even on the second pairing with a guy like Muzzin he can hold his own.

Benning has been a plus player every year. while +/- has its flaws given the Oilers struggles this says something. He also has a little bit of offense in his game.

A deal built around Benning and Kerfoot could make sense for both teams.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think that there is zero chance that the Leafs are signing Pietro, but the Leafs don't need to carry 3 spares. They can carry no spares and rely on emergency call ups. They also have Spezza who will re-sign for 700K. And then Barabanov and likely Robertson - both under 1M.
They probably do not need a 23 man roster. But even with the AHL team in town it is hard to see them playing much of the year with less than 22 on the roster. There are too many short term injuries to a mange this.

Having he Marlies in town does allow them to move guys up and down a lot more efficiently than is the case for many other teams though.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
They probably do not need a 23 man roster. But even with the AHL team in town it is hard to see them playing much of the year with less than 22 on the roster. There are too many short term injuries to a mange this.

Having he Marlies in town does allow them to move guys up and down a lot more efficiently than is the case for many other teams though.

Their plan was to run a 20 player roster all this season and just rely on emergency call ups. With the cap not going up again I see little reason to expect them to plan differently next year.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
My apologies. You were not the guy who brought up AP. That said even moving Kapanen if the established top 4 d has a salary equal or greater than his, the leafs still have a significant cap issue to deal with. It's not unsolvable since there are a lot of assets that can be moved. But the forward depth could take a fairly significant hit to address the defense.

Bennings name has come up in this thread. He's not a high profile guy but he is actually quite successful on the bottom pairing and he is a true RHD. And while he made $1.9M this year I think he could be re-signed for less. He is a polarizing guy on the Oiler board, but much of the issues people have had with him have been around his play when he is forced to take on a much more significant role. If he is on the 3rd pairing or even on the second pairing with a guy like Muzzin he can hold his own.

Benning has been a plus player every year. while +/- has its flaws given the Oilers struggles this says something. He also has a little bit of offense in his game.

A deal built around Benning and Kerfoot could make sense for both teams.
Agreed...he has been mentioned in leaf trade talk before. He wont get you kapanen but maybe a lesser forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad