Proposal: Kapanen for Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Successful Cup winning teams on an island!!!! The Oilers in a bogged down swamp loaded with great talent but unaware they need depth to get out of the swamp....sweeeet
Still waiting to hear how trading one of our top two RH D for a middle 6 winger makes us better.

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
Didnt mcdavid get beat at the all star game????? There are probably 10 skaters around the league faster..
Barzal if I remember right. But I think that McDavid is the fastest with the puck, that is my point with the other post I did. Perhaps McKinnon is faster who knows.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There aren't many realistic deals that would convince me that we should trade Ethan Bear. This is not one of them, even though I do like Kapanen. I'd consider something around Caleb Jones, but I don't think he has proven himself enough for the Leafs to have much interest.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I think the Oilers are going to be better than people think, very soon.

Their management is committed to building a defence long term. It’s way harder to get top-notch defenders than it is to find forward depth.
Not until they address the forward depth ...forwards 8 through 12 need an upgrade...aquire another shutdown style d man...and get a goalie who can get the job done..realistically this team gets picked apart at playoff time by most western conference teams and beat soundly best most east teams Boston Washington Pitt Tampa..

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There aren't many realistic deals that would convince me that we should trade Ethan Bear. This is not one of them, even though I do like Kapanen. I'd consider something around Caleb Jones, but I don't think he has proven himself enough for the Leafs to have much interest.
Kapanen, or a forward like Kerfoot (who might be more interesting for the Oilers) or Johnsson, could be moved for someone like Jones with futures added just because of the pending cap situation.

If the cap is flat the Leafs will be doing some serious dancing to get the roster under $81.5M. Right now they have $4.6M left with 17 contracts and they have to resign or rebuild their defense. The question is what would the plus be. The Leafs may want a lot but may not get it from the Oilers. The Oilers will also want to be careful on the cap. For the Oilers Jones at $850K for two years is excellent value even if he does not improve at all this year so I don't see the Oilers being too keen to add much for a winger given how valuable cap space could be this year unless they can shed either Neal or move Russell.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kapanen, or a forward like Kerfoot (who might be more interesting for the Oilers) or Johnsson, could be moved for someone like Jones with futures added just because of the pending cap situation.

If the cap is flat the Leafs will be doing some serious dancing to get the roster under $81.5M. Right now they have $4.6M left with 17 contracts and they have to resign or rebuild their defense. The question is what would the plus be. The Leafs may want a lot but may not get it from the Oilers. The Oilers will also want to be careful on the cap. For the Oilers Jones at $850K for two years is excellent value even if he does not improve at all this year so I don't see the Oilers being too keen to add much for a winger given how valuable cap space could be this year unless they can shed either Neal or move Russell.

Great point, the cap situation is unpredictable at the moment, it is entirely possible that Jones may not be movable for Edmonton simply due to his cap hit. We could see a scenario where we may need to buy out Russell just to keep what we have.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not until they address the forward depth ...forwards 8 through 12 need an upgrade...aquire another shutdown style d man...and get a goalie who can get the job done..realistically this team gets picked apart at playoff time by most western conference teams and beat soundly best most east teams Boston Washington Pitt Tampa..

We have began to address the depth. Yamamoto is a great fit on line 2, Athanasiou will add some depth as well. Suggesting that 8 - 12 is an issue isn't entirely true either, our 4th line is actually really good, we need to upgrade our 3rd line right now badly, and might need another winger for McDavid, but I think you are underestimating the Oilers depth right now. We added significant depth since the season began, and there could be more help on the way in the near future.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Great point, the cap situation is unpredictable at the moment, it is entirely possible that Jones may not be movable for Edmonton simply due to his cap hit. We could see a scenario where we may need to buy out Russell just to keep what we have.

Russell's buyout would not help much though because of his signing bonus and low salary this year. His post buyout cap hit would be $3M this year and $1M next. They could however buyout Neal if the really needed the space. Six years is a long time to carry the buyout though. So I am sure the Oilers will be hoping for at least one compliance buyout if they need to manufacture cap space.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think Neal is a prime candidate for a compliance buyout, if such a thing occurs.

As for Bear there is little chance he goes for a forward like Kapanen.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
If leafs are trading Kapanen I’d rather them package him with other assets for a more proven D.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Of course you would. Every GM wants to trade one of their guys and depth parts for a better player.
Well it’s really not that hard to believe. I’m pretty sure the poster didn’t say depth guys, they said assets. Not only that but with a cap crunch coming some teams might want to get out of a contract and might be willing to trade for Kapanen and some assets. Crazier trades have happened.

Reactions: 6ix

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
We have began to address the depth. Yamamoto is a great fit on line 2, Athanasiou will add some depth as well. Suggesting that 8 - 12 is an issue isn't entirely true either, our 4th line is actually really good, we need to upgrade our 3rd line right now badly, and might need another winger for McDavid, but I think you are underestimating the Oilers depth right now. We added significant depth since the season began, and there could be more help on the way in the near future.
That I do agree with. Its slightly better than it was... but it's not cup quality.. a player like kapanen would go a long way in solidifying this. They need help in the bottom 6 that's for sure. Also need a goalie ....

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
That I do agree with. Its slightly better than it was... but it's not cup quality.. a player like kapanen would go a long way in solidifying this. They need help in the bottom 6 that's for sure. Also need a goalie ....

But not at the expense of their top 4. I don't think anyone is disputing that Kapanen would be a good addition to the team, but taking one of their top RHDs makes zero sense right now. You fill up a small hole and create a MASSIVE hole in the top 4. If/when Bouchard is ready, then they can look at moving Bear or Larsson. If it's Bear, and he continues to progress like he has shown this year, the piece coming back is better than Kapanen.

Reactions: spaghtti

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Of course you would. Every GM wants to trade one of their guys and depth parts for a better player.

I said Kapanen and other assets. Such as 1st rounder/highly rated prospects. I did not say Kapanen and spare parts.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I said Kapanen and other assets. Such as 1st rounder/highly rated prospects. I did not say Kapanen and spare parts.
How do the Leafs manage that capwise if the defenseman coming back is established and better than Bear? The only reason a team might move such a player for Kapanen and futures is because of the cap and the Leaf's cap situation is worse than almost any other team. Two decent established RHD's to replace Barrie and Ceci will cost $7M at least if the Leafs got very lucky. Take away Kapanen's salary and that leaves you with less than $1M in cap space on 18 contracts if the cap stays at $81.5M.

The cap dictates that the Leafs will very likely have to move one or two forwards for mostly futures unless the want to run a very rookie laden defense.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
How do the Leafs manage that capwise if the defenseman coming back is established and better than Bear? The only reason a team might move such a player for Kapanen and futures is because of the cap and the Leaf's cap situation is worse than almost any other team. Two decent established RHD's to replace Barrie and Ceci will cost $7M at least if the Leafs got very lucky. Take away Kapanen's salary and that leaves you with less than $1M in cap space on 18 contracts if the cap stays at $81.5M.

The cap dictates that the Leafs will very likely have to move one or two forwards for mostly futures unless the want to run a very rookie laden defense.
The leafs will use that forward depth to help on the back end... they may chase a UFA right shot d man too...lole a justin Shultz

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The leafs will use that forward depth to help on the back end... they may chase a UFA right shot d man too...lole a justin Shultz
So the Leafs should go out and spend $5-6M on a defenseman in the UFA market.

The Leafs have 17 players under contract and will have $4.6M in cap space to fill out their roster if the cap stays at $81.4M. The only RHD they have under contract is Justin Holl who at age 28 had a "breakout" rookie year. He looked good playing in the bottom 4 but would be an immense gamble on the top pairing. So realistically to fill in the top pairing RHD spot with even a decent #3 via the UFA route is going to eat up all their cap space and probably more for that one slot leaving no cap space to fill out 5 additional roster slots.

So which of three of Kapanen, Kerfoot, Hyman, Mikhayev or Johnsson goes for futures or cheap bottom pairing defensemen so they can fill out their roster after they sign that UFA RHD? Good bye forward depth unless a guy like Robertson can go from the OHL to the NHL. And by your own logic losing winger depth for defensemen means saying good bye to any chance to win or does that only apply to the Oilers. So yes, the Leafs may very well use their forward depth to improve their defense. But just as was the case with your Kapanen for Larsson makes the Oilers better, the Leafs need to be patient and strategic about how they move forward or they could end up worse than what they currently are. They just signed Mikko Lehtenen who is a LHD but is cheap. Who knows maybe they'll try to flip Dermott for a similar righty. Or maybe they will try and see what their kids can do before making a big investment on a UFA that they could only afford if they moved a star.

So is it possible that you don't really have an solid understanding of that team either. Maybe you should just stick to commenting on the Penguins rather than tell other fan bases what their team should and should not do.

Last edited:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
So the Leafs should go out and spend $5-6M on a defenseman in the UFA market.

The Leafs have 17 players under contract and will have $4.6M in cap space to fill out their roster if the cap stays at $81.4M. The only RHD they have under contract is Justin Holl who at age 28 had a "breakout" rookie year. He looked good playing in the bottom 4 but would be an immense gamble on the top pairing. So realistically to fill in the top pairing RHD spot with even a decent #3 via the UFA route is going to eat up all their cap space and probably more for that one slot leaving no cap space to fill out 5 additional roster slots.

So which of three of Kapanen, Kerfoot, Hyman, Mikhayev or Johnsson goes for futures or cheap bottom pairing defensemen so they can fill out their roster after they sign that UFA RHD? Good bye forward depth unless a guy like Robertson can go from the OHL to the NHL. And by your own logic losing winger depth for defensemen means saying good bye to any chance to win or does that only apply to the Oilers. So yes, the Leafs may very well use their forward depth to improve their defense. But just as was the case with your Kapanen for Larsson makes the Oilers better, the Leafs need to be patient and strategic about how they move forward or they could end up worse than what they currently are. They just signed Mikko Lehtenen who is a LHD but is cheap. Who knows maybe they'll try to flip Dermott for a similar righty. Or maybe they will try and see what their kids can do before making a big investment on a UFA that they could only afford if they moved a star.

So is it possible that you don't really have an solid understanding of that team either. Maybe you should just stick to commenting on the Penguins rather than tell other fan bases what their team should and should not do.
Yawn.......sorry didn't really read the essay...leafs need D help... they will trade forward depth and explore UFA like Shultz...its already been said internally. This includes Alex P from the blues.... sorry about pointing out super obvious holes in the oilers ...its .ot hard to see what this teams needs to be a seroius contender. Until then have fun ....

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I like Kap and think the value is close to fair, but I wouldnt do it for 2 reasons

1) With Yamamoto stepping up and looking good, that solidifies a wing spot.
2) Bear is a right handed puck mover with grit, skill and smarts. The Oilers havent had this type of D since Petry, and before than, youd have to go back another 5 years to Whitney pre injury. These are the type of D you want to hold onto for dear life (especially if you are the Oilers).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bear is probably off the table from an Oilers pop but I think a deal could be worked out for Caleb Jones. I wouldn't want to give up Kapanen though.

Jones would be more available for sure. Les sproven than Bear, plus a lefty and there is already 2 long term LHD on the Oilers, plus some more in the pipeline

If i was an NHL GM though, Id be targeting Jones. He has looked solid and had all the tools. He didnt play massive minutes yet so hes unproven (thus a lower cost).

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Jones would be more available for sure. Les sproven than Bear, plus a lefty and there is already 2 long term LHD on the Oilers, plus some more in the pipeline

If i was an NHL GM though, Id be targeting Jones. He has looked solid and had all the tools. He didnt play massive minutes yet so hes unproven (thus a lower cost).
That wont get you kapanen or quality winger depth that you seek. Larsson may

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad