Proposal: Kapanen for Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You are contradicting yourself in the same sentence. You're suggesting they trade away the very thing you suggest they require? For a winger, no less. Wing depth is something they have in their system and is also the easiest position to address though free agency when there's cap available.

Assuming this is what they're looking at today...

xxxxx - McDavid - Kassian
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Athanasiou - Haas - Chiasson
Khaira - Sheahan - Archibald
Neal

What exactly does Kapanen add, particularly at the expense of a top four defenseman that cannot be immediately replaced?
It would seem that that poster thinks the Oilers are slow and that speed alone makes your team a contender. So I would fill in your XXXX

Nygard- McDavid - Kassian

There. That forward group is now probably the fastest in the NHL so if I understand this right Nygard would also make them a legitimate contender. I always thought that there was more to hockey than how fast you skate. But what do we know. We've never seen a winning team. .

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You havent seen an oiler team win the cup in 30 years lol....you have watched them miss the playoffs over and over and have watched the penguins win 5 count em 5 cups!!! Kings win..hawks win..capitals all with better depth..kapanen for Larsson edges them closer.. doesnt make them a true contender they are a goalie, shut down D and aleast 3 forwards away...kapanen fills one of those spots while losing Larsson is a fillable hole.. you can agrue all you want but history and present shows us the reality... is this team capable of winning a round?? That's the question
Do you really believe that replacing a team's top pairing RHD is easier to do than to find a depth winger????

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Do you really believe that replacing a team's top pairing RHD is easier to do than to find a depth winger????

Kapanen would probably be the most talented RW on the oilers, so not really a "depth guy". He is behind Marner and Nylander on the leafs, but those are legit top line RW talents

i mean they are rolling Kassian and Yamomoto in the top 6, neither of which has ever topped 35pts (yeah yeah yamamoto will but Kassian is a 25pt face puncher that should be playing 10 mins a night)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kapanen would probably be the most talented RW on the oilers, so not really a "depth guy". He is behind Marner and Nylander on the leafs, but those are legit top line RW talents

i mean they are rolling Kassian and Yamomoto in the top 6, neither of which has ever topped 35pts (yeah yeah yamamoto will but Kassian is a 25pt face puncher that should be playing 10 mins a night)

Yamamotto is the Oilers best RW and its not close. Kapanen is not as talented as Yamamotto. Kassian is more talented than he gets credit for. The guy was a top 15 pick. At the top of his game he can play in the top six quite easily and his game actually matches well with McDavid. People think anyone can play with McDavid but that is not the case. Kassian's problem is that he lacks consistency and his brain can sometimes turn off. But he is a very good skater, has a nose for the net, and he can actually think the game well enough to play off of talent. He's 26th in even strength goals amongst RW over the last 2 years. have to finish. course he has benefitted from playing with McDavid and Leon but you still have to finish. That's one more than Kapanen in 14 less games. And like Kassian the majority of Kapanen's ES goals came while playing with the Leaf's top talent.

Ideally Kassian is playing in the bottom six, but my guess is that if the Oilers added Kapanen, Kassian would still get the nod most of the time because his physical attributes open up space for McDavid. So yes Kapanen would be a "depth" acquisition on the Oilers just like AA was even if he is more talented than Kassian.

Most Oiler fans would be happy to have Kapanen, but not at the price of a top 4 RHD. He does not add enough to justify such a move. Moreover, if Puljujarvi comes back, which it looks more likely that he might than it did even a few months ago, the RW is already pretty crowded.

Last edited:

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
It would seem that that poster thinks the Oilers are slow and that speed alone makes your team a contender. So I would fill in your XXXX

Nygard- McDavid - Kassian

There. That forward group is now probably the fastest in the NHL so if I understand this right Nygard would also make them a legitimate contender. I always thought that there was more to hockey than how fast you skate. But what do we know. We've never seen a winning team. .
Where is neal? Its not the fastest forwards group and its especially not the deepest. Secondary scoring is and always been an issue for a while. You know that key secondary scoring that wins you cups... the problems lie with the forward depth. By your logic let's give the oilers the cup casue they look fast on paper!!!! 1990 is 30 years ago pal!!!

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
1. Oilers own depth chart has Larrson listed as # 4. Yes a # 4 d man is easier to replace than a fast young winger on a great contract who can play in top 6 . He becomes one of the best wingers immediately and is younger !!!! Key. Key. He in fact may be the best right winger they would have .
2. You have to give to get. Successful teams know this. We have seen teams without top pairing d man.. ( letang ) .. what we havent seen is a team win without sufficient forward depth and key secondary scoring .

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I wouldn’t waste anymore of your time.

If the Oilers wanted a player in Kapanen’s range they’d spend a couple picks or prospects to get, not blow a hole in their defense to do it. But the truth is they won’t be adding a player like that because they don’t need him. If they’re adding to the forward group it’s either someone who can play 3C or who is a surefire top 6 winger.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I wouldn’t waste anymore of your time.

If the Oilers wanted a player in Kapanen’s range they’d spend a couple picks or prospects to get, not blow a hole in their defense to do it. But the truth is they won’t be adding a player like that because they don’t need him. If they’re adding to the forward group it’s either someone who can play 3C or who is a surefire top 6 winger.
What you think...first or second round exit when and if playoffs go ? Lol

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
What you think...first or second round exit when and if playoffs go ? Lol

As an Oilers fan I’d be happy with either to be honest and I’m not dumb enough to think that Kapanen would have any impact on that outcome whatsoever.

I make this statement with 100% confidence though. If the Oilers had Kapanen for this season instead of Bear, Oilers fans would be talking about lottery picks instead of playoff seeding.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
As an Oilers fan I’d be happy with either to be honest and I’m not dumb enough to think that Kapanen would have any impact on that outcome whatsoever.

I make this statement with 100% confidence though. If the Oilers had Kapanen for this season instead of Bear, Oilers fans would be talking about lottery picks instead of playff seeding.
And most with some decent hockey knowledge can day with the up most confidence that worh some quality depth ( kapanen plus maybe a 3C) theboilers would be strong contenders and I never said it would cost bear at any time... they really are 2 or 3 mid bottom forwards from being a true contender but until then it's one and done

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
1. Oilers own depth chart has Larrson listed as # 4. Yes a # 4 d man is easier to replace than a fast young winger on a great contract who can play in top 6 . He becomes one of the best wingers immediately and is younger !!!! Key. Key. He in fact may be the best right winger they would have .
2. You have to give to get. Successful teams know this. We have seen teams without top pairing d man.. ( letang ) .. what we havent seen is a team win without sufficient forward depth and key secondary scoring .
Klefbom is better. Nurse is debatable at best. Larsson is still one of their best d-men.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
And most with some decent hockey knowledge can day with the up most confidence that worh some quality depth ( kapanen plus maybe a 3C) theboilers would be strong contenders and I never said it would cost bear at any time... they really are 2 or 3 mid bottom forwards from being a true contender but until then it's one and done
Lol. You are trying so hard that you can’t even form words anymore. Bear is worth more than Kapanen, both on the open market and to the Oilers. Even Larsson is more valuable to the Oilers than Kapanen, at least until Evan Bouchard shows he can take those RH side minutes. Your $3.2M middle six winger just isn’t worth it to us, especially since we just spent a couple draft picks on Athanasiou who is very similar to Kapanen.
PS. Why do you keep throwing the last 30 years at Oiler fans when the Leafs haven’t won since 1967. When is the last time they were even in the Finals? Glass houses, man.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Lol. You are trying so hard that you can’t even form words anymore. Bear is worth more than Kapanen, both on the open market and to the Oilers. Even Larsson is more valuable to the Oilers than Kapanen, at least until Evan Bouchard shows he can take those RH side minutes. Your $3.2M middle six winger just isn’t worth it to us, especially since we just spent a couple draft picks on Athanasiou who is very similar to Kapanen.
PS. Why do you keep throwing the last 30 years at Oiler fans when the Leafs haven’t won since 1967. When is the last time they were even in the Finals? Glass houses, man.
Again and again... I am NOT a leaf fan...could caste less about them although its plain to see kapanen would be an ideal fit and then Oilers a good trade partner for the leafs...now ... hate to do this to you and rub slat the the wound but MY team is one of the most successful teams in the last 30 years... count em 5 cups....captained by the best player in the world ...any guesses...its because of this iam able to see just how important forward depth and secondary scoring is...we won because of the HBK line..because of rust, Cullen, kunitz, etc.....

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This hurts Edmonton in the long run. Bear and Bouchard are their top 2 RHD’s for the future.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Again and again... I am NOT a leaf fan...could caste less about them although its plain to see kapanen would be an ideal fit and then Oilers a good trade partner for the leafs...now ... hate to do this to you and rub slat the the wound but MY team is one of the most successful teams in the last 30 years... count em 5 cups....captained by the best player in the world ...any guesses...its because of this iam able to see just how important forward depth and secondary scoring is...we won because of the HBK line..because of rust, Cullen, kunitz, etc.....
Lol. You could “caste less” about rubbing “slat” in my wounds. Trading either Bear or Larsson for Kapanen makes the Oilers worse. And we got our “Kapanen” already at the deadline for two 2nds. If you are such a Pens fan you should realize that the Pens won by having a few superstars in place then having a solid if unspectacular D and filling out the wings on the cheap. You are advocating for us to not do what the Pens did.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Lol. You could “caste less” about rubbing “slat” in my wounds. Trading either Bear or Larsson for Kapanen makes the Oilers worse. And we got our “Kapanen” already at the deadline for two 2nds. If you are such a Pens fan you should realize that the Pens won by having a few superstars in place then having a solid if unspectacular D and filling out the wings on the cheap. You are advocating for us to not do what the Pens did.
Penguins won by a deep forward core. HBK...remember.. Bonino... kuntiz OT winner... Cullen... your out to lunch.... crosby and geno were good and murray solid ut key secondary scoring won all while letang was injured ( best D man) for one round ...proof forward depth wins cups...I could care less if the Oilers want to spin their tires and never really get anywhere and waste the prime McDavid years...cause that's what they doing...like get a goalie... some 5 through 12 forwards that aren't cast always ( remember Shehan and Archibald both played for pitt).....until then ...no one gonna take them seroius

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Penguins won by a deep forward core. HBK...remember.. Bonino... kuntiz OT winner... Cullen... your out to lunch.... crosby and geno were good and murray solid ut key secondary scoring won all while letang was injured ( best D man) for one round ...proof forward depth wins cups...I could care less if the Oilers want to spin their tires and never really get anywhere and waste the prime McDavid years...cause that's what they doing...like get a goalie... some 5 through 12 forwards that aren't cast always ( remember Shehan and Archibald both played for pitt).....until then ...no one gonna take them seroius
You’re alone on a little ranting island.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
nah they actually pass.

trading Kapanen for bear and then losing either him or dermott in the expansion draft is pretty garbage

If this trade were to happen protect Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, Bear, Campbell and lose.... Johnsson, Kerfoot, Holl? Hyman, and Andersen are both UFAs remember. They'd still protect Dermott status quo.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I’d think Edmonton would be asking for nylander, and I doubt Toronto entertains that. Top 4 rhd>>>middle six winger anyway though.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You’re alone on a little ranting island.
Successful Cup winning teams on an island!!!! The Oilers in a bogged down swamp loaded with great talent but unaware they need depth to get out of the swamp....sweeeet

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Well I guess they do if you count that McDavid, who isn't the fastest skater on the team, is the fastest in the Leauge;)
Didnt mcdavid get beat at the all star game????? There are probably 10 skaters around the league faster..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad