Injury Report: Kane (Wrist) Placed on LTIR, Estimate 3-4 Months Recovery

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Everything I’ve seen and heard about Maroon, I’m sure he feels like absolute garbage about it today. He is a rough and tough guy but he also is a good dude. I wouldn’t be surprised if he went to go see him and shit. He is a guy who can get caught up in a moment and forget his brain.

The missed call lead to that happening. Ref makes the call everyone is okay.

While I agree with you, was there enough time for the whistle to have gone? Did Tampa even play the puck?

Honest question (I’m not watching again) and I had the same reaction as you… but might not have helped here.

Unless they just called that play enough that people stopped doing it. That high bridge slew is becoming more and more common because they let guys get away with it.

Reactions: frag2

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Oilers can do a trade with the Blackhawks for Patrick Kane with "just" half of Patrick's salary retained by the Blackhawks. That only works if Evander stays on LTIR until the playoffs.

Certainly lowers the cost compared to what it was at the start of the season when another team would need to be included to take on some of Patrick's cap hit.

Yeah I think there are lots of people with this exact thought right more. I don’t think it happens though, as PKane needs to approve trades, and he ain’t coming to Canada

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You'd think if the Oilers were going to do some LTIR f***ery they would have announced that the injury would be 4-5 months instead of 3-4. Three to four months takes is at most a month before the season ends.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I am not looking forward to seeing more Yamo or Pulju in the top 6. Sigh.

Hopefully Kane heals up and there's no lasting damage.
Hopefully not. Nothing nerve related. Shawn Horcoff had a wrist injury and was never the same player after that. He was having the best season of his career, got a big contract and then the injury. Not suggesting Kane will go that route but it does makes me nervous. and Yes, two totally different injuries but we don't know the specifics of the Kane injury.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hopefully not. Nothing nerve related. Shawn Horcoff had a wrist injury and was never the same player after that. He was having the best season of his career, got a big contract and then the injury. Not suggesting Kane will go that route but it does makes me nervous. and Yes, two totally different injuries but we don't know the specifics of the Kane injury.
Pretty sure with Horcoff it was a shoulder injury that he sustained at the all-star game that season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wish him well in his recovery. That's a huge loss for the team. As he's expected back before the end of the season, likely won't be able to add salary via trade, so will have to be replacement by committee internally.
If the Oilers bring him back right before the end of the season, they're morons.
The return timeline is close enough to the playoffs where they can milk the LTIR until the playoffs and have the flexibility to add at the deadline (although not quite sure how the LTIR factors into this). As long as the rules are what they are, any GM would be foolish to not take advantage of it.

Edit: I guess the LTIR doesn't add an extra $$$ pool for the deadline which kind of sucks.

Last edited:

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
If the Oilers bring him back right before the end of the season, they're morons.
The return timeline is close enough to the playoffs where they can milk the LTIR until the playoffs and have the flexibility to add at the deadline (although not quite sure how the LTIR factors into this). As long as the rules are what they are, any GM would be foolish to not take advantage of it.

Edit: I guess the LTIR doesn't add an extra $$$ pool for the deadline which kind of sucks.
I agree with this.

If it's the choice of bringing Kane back for the last month of regular season and working with what we have internally, or using his cap space on somebody else and pushing his LTIR into the post-season I would hope for the latter.

Reactions: bucks_oil

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

100%, as long as we look like we'll make the playoffs, the Oilers would be idiot to bring him back before game 1. Use the same cap BS that Tampa used. It is pretty close anyhow, and it certainly wouldn't surprise anybody if Kane is legit out until the playoffs for real anyhow. This is a really bad injury, and he might never be the same player again.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I don't think it aligns exactly with the end of the season. Three months from now is Feb 9, and four months is Mar 9, with the season not ending until April 13, which is over five months away. Believe can only sent him down on LTIR conditioning for 6 days or 3 games, so doesn't buy you much time. Trading deadline is Mar 3, so pretty much at the four month mark, so if all goes well, he should be back by then. Realistically the only way we are able to add at the trade deadline is if his recovery is way slower than expected, and that's likely not a good sign.

Thanks for the 6 day/3 game info... is that a rule? I was suggesting 4 months recovery, plus a month of AHL to get his legs. Maybe that's pushing the envelope a little too much.

In any case, I'd still check in two months into the recover to see where he's at. If progressing very well, great, if not... take your time, hint, hint and we'll load up at the deadline.

You'd think if the Oilers were going to do some LTIR f***ery they would have announced that the injury would be 4-5 months instead of 3-4. Three to four months takes is at most a month before the season ends.

Nope, this is 4D chess. Everybody would know the normal recovery time. What they need is to indicate the intention to have him back, then announce a setback several weeks before the deadline.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The Oilers can do a trade with the Blackhawks for Patrick Kane with "just" half of Patrick's salary retained by the Blackhawks. That only works if Evander stays on LTIR until the playoffs.

Certainly lowers the cost compared to what it was at the start of the season when another team would need to be included to take on some of Patrick's cap hit.
Oh we can pull off a trade like you suggest but I do not want to be in the spot we have been in up to this point. "We can't bring up player X who we need due to cap complaince, we cant send play Y to the minors where they should be due to complaince, we can't field a full 23 man roster dude to cap complaince.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
"We can't bring up player X who we need due to cap complaince, we cant send play Y to the minors where they should be due to complaince, we can't field a full 23 man roster dude to cap complaince.

I'm not sure if a full 23 man roster is that big a concern for Holland. With the Kostin/Janmark call ups the Oilers are at a 22 man roster with about 4.7 M in cap space. Maybe he is just taking a few days before deciding who the 23rd man will be on the roster.

The Oilers have a lot of cap flexibility now. If the Blues were to decide to re-tool this year they might be willing to take trade pending UFA Tarasenko. One of Foegele/Yamamoto/Puljujarvi as part of the package going back to St. Louis and the Oilers don't need any retention from the Blues.

David Baillie

Aug 19, 2020
I will admit I am not an Oiler fan but enjoy reading HF Oil but I just wanted to wish Kane the best in his recovery. It is terrible to see freak injuries to any player no matter which club he plays for. Head up Evander and know that fans of all teams are hoping for a full recovery for you.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Reasonable point. But I don't think Maroon was in there for the puck. I think he was there for police role expecting Kane to get up and feed the guy that just dirty slewfooted him. I think Maroon was expecting something else to occur there, and why he converged on the area. As I stated the refs could have just immediately called the penalty there and blown a whistle. That was a dirty play that preceded it. I like Maroon, and I think he's respectful but its cerntainly not the case that respect of players ia a given. You saw what tkachuk did to Quick just this week.
Not sure how you can compare anyone to that sleazebag Tkachuk, but whatever.
If Maroon was going in with the anticipation Kane was going to get up and engage in fisticuffs, than he actually is doing par of his job description. But yes, I think we can all agree the slewfoot should have been called, which is the precurser to all of this mess. The problem is, by the time the ref calls it and blows play down, this other stuff has already likely occured. It was that quick.

He kneed Kane in the head as well just prior to skating over him. That was on purpose. Maroon has rocks for brains.
He also got engaged and pushed in a bit by Holloway. Not saying Maroon is the smartest individual or hockey player, but from what I've seen from his career, I find it difficult he'd try to injure a helpless player on the ice.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure how you can compare anyone to that sleazebag Tkachuk, but whatever.
If Maroon was going in with the anticipation Kane was going to get up and engage in fisticuffs, than he actually is doing par of his job description. But yes, I think we can all agree the slewfoot should have been called, which is the precurser to all of this mess. The problem is, by the time the ref calls it and blows play down, this other stuff has already likely occured. It was that quick.

He also got engaged and pushed in a bit by Holloway. Not saying Maroon is the smartest individual or hockey player, but from what I've seen from his career, I find it difficult he'd try to injure a helpless player on the ice.
I wasn't comparing anybody to Tkachuk. I was responding to your assertion about how much player respect ithere s, when obviously it isn't a given.

Nobody here shares your opinion that Maroon was totally innocent on the play. Maroon was involved in the play, and skating to this action in his police role as he was expecting Kane to get up and go nuts on the guy that just slewfooted him.

Incredible that you think a player that intentionally fired the puck straight into the Dallas Stars bench in a cup final after period ended is some kind of angel. Maroon has had a long list of bonehead decisions that ended up in potential injuries.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

As I mentioned above, if his recovery period turns out to be 3 months, then that is around Feb 9, which gives you more than 2 months of the regular season left. Both the player and team aren’t going to agree to hold him out of the lineup for an additional two months, that’s not going to happen. Only if the recovery period is four months+ does that start to make sense.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Thanks for the 6 day/3 game info... is that a rule? I was suggesting 4 months recovery, plus a month of AHL to get his legs. Maybe that's pushing the envelope a little too much.

In any case, I'd still check in two months into the recover to see where he's at. If progressing very well, great, if not... take your time, hint, hint and we'll load up at the deadline.

Nope, this is 4D chess. Everybody would know the normal recovery time. What they need is to indicate the intention to have him back, then announce a setback several weeks before the deadline.
This is where I got the info from:

“LTIR” Conditioning Loan​

This loan is just for players who is “on the Bona Fide Long-Term Inujry/Illness Exception” which is the thing we all call LTIR. One slight caveat of that is that for teams operating with a lot of cap space, they don’t benefit from invoking LTIR for players, and very occasionally someone who was never on LTIR is loaned under these rules. The crucial point is that this loan is for a player who has been out of playing action for 10 games and 24 days (the LTIR minimums).

The player must consent to this loan, and he is paid like he’s in the NHL still. While on this loan, the player remains on LTIR.

The loan lasts for up to six days and three games. So either maximum may trigger the end of the loan. This loan is only to determine a player’s fitness to return off of LTIR. Teams are allowed to ask for an extension of two more games, and that happens often.

Just like in the first type of the loan, the Commissioner can investigate at any time to ensure the loan is legitimate.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad