Injury Report: Kane (Wrist) Placed on LTIR, Estimate 3-4 Months Recovery

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
A big fat no to adding any other big ticket item.

The loss of Kane will hurt but I actually want to be able to adjust the roster as we see fit rather than being hamstung and having to play worse players due to cap constraints.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well sure it was careless. With todays limited protection around wrists and around necks Its pretty dangerous to be skating right on top of somebody. If thats somebodies goalie down there and an opponent does that bs he gets fed. What I think is despicable on the play is the Other Lightning player slewfoots Kane, has him down and seems to be holding on. Meanwhile Maroon skates right on top. It alsost looked like he came close to stepping on Kanes wrist. Not purposeful but jebus jump out of the way or something. Why skate right over the pile. Thats a careless action with men down. How many Clint Malarchuks and this incident do we have to see for players to realize that.
Goalies are down and out every game, fishing for pucks with their outstretched arms, and a pile of bodies and skates all around them, all fighting for position. My point is that shit happens. Guys respect each other in the league, but accidents are sometimes going to happen when you get people jostling around in a contact game with knives on their feet. Shame on Maroon for being a clumsy 4th line plug and not having twinkle toes on his blades like McDavid.

Reactions: ujju2

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Nice Strawman.

I said what he did was dangerous and it ended up being dangerous. He shouldn't have been skating that close to him to begin with as is patently obvious by the result.
If the slew foot was called no injury. This is on the refs not maroon, who’s just trying to take advantage of the refs bias.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Goalies are down and out every game, fishing for pucks with their outstretched arms, and a pile of bodies and skates all around them, all fighting for position. My point is that shit happens. Guys respect each other in the league, but accidents are sometimes going to happen when you get people jostling around in a contact game with knives on their feet. Shame on Maroon for being a clumsy 4th line plug and not having twinkle toes on his blades like McDavid.
Reasonable point. But I don't think Maroon was in there for the puck. I think he was there for police role expecting Kane to get up and feed the guy that just dirty slewfooted him. I think Maroon was expecting something else to occur there, and why he converged on the area. As I stated the refs could have just immediately called the penalty there and blown a whistle. That was a dirty play that preceded it. I like Maroon, and I think he's respectful but its cerntainly not the case that respect of players ia a given. You saw what tkachuk did to Quick just this week.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Nice Strawman.

I said what he did was dangerous and it ended up being dangerous. He shouldn't have been skating that close to him to begin with as is patently obvious by the result.
Then again, do you think Maroon has the hockey smarts or is talented enough to know better

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
4 months + an AHL conditioning stint aligns exactly with the end of the season.

Our management is a little bit too by the book, but don't think for a second this is lost on them (or on Kane) entirely.

I say we are adding at the deadline. By then we'll know how his recovery is going and how likely it is that we get a sufficient number of useful games out of him before the playoffs. If it is anything less than 70-30 that he's ready, you stretch his recovery for sure, let him have extra rehab and AHL conditioning and bring in $5M worth of salary at the deadline.
I don't think it aligns exactly with the end of the season. Three months from now is Feb 9, and four months is Mar 9, with the season not ending until April 13, which is over five months away. Believe can only sent him down on LTIR conditioning for 6 days or 3 games, so doesn't buy you much time. Trading deadline is Mar 3, so pretty much at the four month mark, so if all goes well, he should be back by then. Realistically the only way we are able to add at the trade deadline is if his recovery is way slower than expected, and that's likely not a good sign.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A big fat no to adding any other big ticket item.

The loss of Kane will hurt but I actually want to be able to adjust the roster as we see fit rather than being hamstung and having to play worse players due to cap constraints.
I would agree, but it would be an interesting gamble. Chychrun was supposed to be back in November some time, so the timing seems too perfect. By the time Kane comes back we may have another LTIR player by then. Plus, it seems like most teams in these situations find a way to wiggle out.

But, for me I kind of like the chance to give some of our own guys more opportunity. It just makes sense to make the trade deadline the time to make moves.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Has

Did Maroon stop in to apologize?

My first reaction after seeing a guy laying on the ice is to make sure I don't skate/stomp on him. Especially right after my own guy just slew-footed him. Not Maroon. He was close enough to have just as easily kicked Kane in the face.

He'd need to be incredibly dumb not to see that his action was dangerous. I'd say an apology is in order.
Yeah watch the replay, he saw it after the fact, stopped skating and was the first one calling for them to stop play. Obviously 100% unintentional, but I've always stuck by this, should've traded Lucic instead of Maroon. We'd have 3 more cups!

Reactions: ujju2

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
So does a three to four month recovery all but guarantee that there was tendon damage?
Based on my personal experiences and working for a Doctor, I'm going to guess a tendon was damaged, nothing like McDavid and how he healed like some xenomorph alien hybrid hockey monster. Guessing partially torn or sliced in this case but still required surgery.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I would agree, but it would be an interesting gamble. Chychrun was supposed to be back in November some time, so the timing seems too perfect. By the time Kane comes back we may have another LTIR player by then. Plus, it seems like most teams in these situations find a way to wiggle out.

But, for me I kind of like the chance to give some of our own guys more opportunity. It just makes sense to make the trade deadline the time to make moves.

Kane is obviously a big loss but Hyman can easily play top 6 and let McLovin and Holloway duke it out for the other spot, see how it goes before we panic. I think this just creates an opportunity likely for someone like Foegele to show us more. No need to panic, especially if Benson is back soon as well, we're not weak on LW just time for the kids to get their experience!

Reactions: Oilhawks

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Make it 4-5 months and use that ltir space to add a guy. Kane comes back for game 1 of the playoffs.

Of course if the Oilers tried this like other teams did the NHL would create a new rule against it.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022

The Oilers can do a trade with the Blackhawks for Patrick Kane with "just" half of Patrick's salary retained by the Blackhawks. That only works if Evander stays on LTIR until the playoffs.

Certainly lowers the cost compared to what it was at the start of the season when another team would need to be included to take on some of Patrick's cap hit.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Looks like this will be the real true test for Woodcroft.

The argument “for” Tippett has always been that he had to deal with no Kane and inconsistent goaltending and defense.

Well, guess what, this will be the exact same situation for Woody, and he’ll get Kane back at around the same time too.

Reactions: Oilhawks and ujju2

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Think it was Sam’s leg.
It was his hand. He took his gloves off while sitting on the bench and was resting his hand on the boards in front of him during play and got sliced while a player was either going on to the ice or coming off (I forget which). I remember this because I questioned his intelligence after it happened.

Reactions: nabob

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Well sure it was careless. With todays limited protection around wrists and around necks Its pretty dangerous to be skating right on top of somebody. If thats somebodies goalie down there and an opponent does that bs he gets fed. What I think is despicable on the play is the Other Lightning player slewfoots Kane, has him down and seems to be holding on. Meanwhile Maroon skates right on top. It alsost looked like he came close to stepping on Kanes wrist. Not purposeful but jebus jump out of the way or something. Why skate right over the pile. Thats a careless action with men down. How many Clint Malarchuks and this incident do we have to see for players to realize that.

100%

How many beer leaguers can say it’d be ok to skate thru a guys head and hand to pick up the loose puck. And then “leap”, which is a stretch for a guy like Maroon, leaping over the down guy would be considered even remotely on the side of sportsmanship and f’n common sense.

Stupid accident yes, but damn right he should apologize. You apologize anyway, but Maroon owes more than a little extra here. It was completely careless.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

He kneed Kane in the head as well just prior to skating over him. That was on purpose. Maroon has rocks for brains.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad