Kane Traded to San Jose: 2019 First Round Pick, Cond. 2020 4th Rounder, Daniel O'Regan F

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don't think the logic of the trade is really all that opaque. Murray wanted to get a goalie that had potential to grow alongside the new core he hoped to assemble, that had the potential to be very good, and that had a significant period of team control remaining. He felt he had insight into Lehner specifically from his time in Ottawa and that elevated him above alternate candidates.

That he missed thet mark and paid a premium to do so isn't really debated. But that's separate from the reasoning behind the trade.

It's the same with the Kane/BOGO trade really. Didn't pay off as we hoped and cost a premium but you could see the logic. At least in terms of BOGO, I'd argue that trade showed poorer judgment.

If he did trade for Lehner he would have drafted samsonov but he didnt want to wait 5 yrs.

Kane/bogo didnt cost a premium

1. Sine kane wasnt playing it was only helping on the tank.

2. Bogo and myers a wash. So kane for a rental, a late 1st, armia, and lemieux. Oregan _=lemieux. , 1st from san jose likely better than 25. Then there is Armia. In comparison we will need to see where the pick is.
If the pick is too 10 its a win

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If he did trade for Lehner he would have drafted samsonov but he didnt want to wait 5 yrs.

Kane/bogo didnt cost a premium

1. Sine kane wasnt playing it was only helping on the tank.

2. Bogo and myers a wash. So kane for a rental, a late 1st, armia, and lemieux. Oregan _=lemieux. , 1st from san jose likely better than 25. Then there is Armia. In comparison we will need to see where the pick is.
If the pick is too 10 its a win

If you honestly think Bogo is a wash with Myers, I think you should reassess how you watch defensemen.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
From a few prior deals...

Vanek...204 top 10 protected. Isles could give up a top 10 in 14 to keep 15.

Kings and Sekera...they traded a non playoff protected 1st that became unprotected the following year. They just missed and drafted around 14 abd kept. Next year they made pmayoffs and u think it was in the 20s.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If you honestly think Bogo is a wash with Myers, I think you should reassess how you watch defensemen.

Or at least go watch Myers with the Jets in a reduced role. He's very good when slotted in behind someone else. Has Bogo ever had a season as strong as this one Myers just completed?

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Good for Kane to secure a contract that really was higher than I thought he was worth, having never had a 50 point season or 30 goals. Ironically, he's had 28, 29, and 29 goal seasons each of the past three years. So we got a first out of Kane after all. To me when SJ acquired him as long as he played to his talent level it made all too much sense for him to re-sign long term. He's insulated by veteran's and is not asked to do more than what his ability allows.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
There were people who openly rooted for islander players to get injured. It was disgusting.

That's not cool. I don't condone that.

But I see nothing wrong with rooting for another team to lose to improve our draft position.

Not fundamentally different from rooting for other teams to lose to improve our playoff odds, tiebreaker status, etc.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's not cool. I don't condone that.

But I see nothing wrong with rooting for another team to lose to improve our draft position.

Not fundamentally different from rooting for other teams to lose to improve our playoff odds, tiebreaker status, etc.

That's fine, but if I see anyone talking about injury, it'll get my full wrath and fury. :D

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
As a defenseman in 2018 or as a defenseman over the course of the deal? Over the course of the deal, Myers has been just as injured as Bogosian. Playing 3rd pairing minutes is a low bar.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I think I'd prefer the sharks to be the lowest seeded playoff team next year so we get the 16th pick in 2019.

Even if the sharks do miss the playoffs next year, I don't expect a fall off to the cellar in 2020. I'd expect more of an islanders situation where they'd be more likely to bounce back in 2020. Even if they're not contender level in 2020, there's no incentive for them to do anything other than win as many games as they can. At worst they're a bubble team (like the Flames or Blues this year) and the pick is in the 11-15 range in 2020. It'll be the teams with 1st rnd picks in 2020 that fall off towards the bottom. I think having the pick sooner helps us more than a chance at slightly better (but also possible to be no better, or worse) pick a year later. Not basing anything on the 1-5% chance of the pick could win a top-3 lottery.

The Islanders 1st rnd pick we got (21st pick) was the worst/latest islanders 1st round pick since 2002, and their own first hasn't been later since. When you don't have your 1st round pick there's no incentive to manage your team with next year's draft position in mind.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Time to get back and sign that new contract.

:partytime:

This is about as bad as people who wear baseball caps backwards then use their hand to shield their eyes from the sun. It looks like he has more holes than pants and is wearing pants under his pants.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
As a defenseman in 2018 or as a defenseman over the course of the deal? Over the course of the deal, Myers has been just as injured as Bogosian. Playing 3rd pairing minutes is a low bar.

Myers 190 games 83 points. Bogo 159 games 43 points. Basically the same thing right?

We can do better.

Reactions: Chainshot and slip

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This is about as bad as people who wear baseball caps backwards then use their hand to shield their eyes from the sun. It looks like he has more holes than pants and is wearing pants under his pants.

It's popular with the kids.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Over the course of the deal, Myers has played 20% more games than Bogo and scored 100% more points -- while being paid 25% less.

Not sure how this point is even debatable.

Reactions: Techno Allah

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Over the course of the deal, Myers has played 20% more games than Bogo and scored 100% more points -- while being paid 25% less.

Not sure how this point is even debatable.
Hmm, let me take one from Jame's book: He played for a much better team.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Lol I love how sabres fans are all holding their breath today to see if Kane will make it back to San Jose before going on a bender and assaulting some waitress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad