Kane Saga: Law & Order Episode V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
It's not a good look when the NFL starts wearing their pink for breast cancer awareness and then they have someone being investigated for rape prancing around the field in a VIP capacity. Granted, the pink merchandise is just a money grab from the NFL anyways.

I disagree.

The Chicago Bears (a team in the NFL) didn't have a 'someone being investigated for rape' prancing around on the field, they had one of the two major star players of another Chicago team on the field. A team that won it's 3rd championship in 6 years and will be hosting the championship banner in 3 days time.

The 'optics' mean nothing to me. On the contrary, there has been such a rush to judge by so many in the media and the SJW popular culture, that I actually LIKE the optics of Kane being there. It said, to me, that we are innocent until proven guilty in this country. It says the the ACTUAL justice system and not the court of public opinion matters more. It said that EVERY player representing the Blackhawks on that field has NOT been arrested, charged with, or convicted of the crime. It says that the organization seems to know more than we do and are standing behind their player. It says that the evidence is suspect at best and that this may very well be one of those very REAL cases of a fabrication by a young woman against a famous wealthy athlete for whatever reason.

As for the NFL, I don't care about their silly optics. They, like all of the SJW media types, are the epitome of hypocrisy. When less than 10% of the proceeds from the pink 'Breast Cancer Awareness' merch actually goes to cancer research, they have no leg to stand on. We are literally being scammed with every pink thing we'll see this month in the NFL.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Not sure if you all sW, but a number of the Blackhawks were at Soldier Field at the Bears game and hoisting the Cup - Crow, Shaw, Kruger, Desi and yes Kane.

The Hawks could have sent any number of players as all are in town and only a few miles from Soldier Field. They could have had Toews or Duncs or Hoss. They didn't. They had Kane

I like that. It's almost like a big flip of the bird to the rush to judge media

That + the bobblehead seem to convey the Blackhawks think Kane is innocent. I figured, if the bobblehead was a mistake released by marketing not knowing what management wanted regarding Kane, it would've been pulled the next day with an apology from the organization and since it wasn't, it seemed like marketing released the schedule with full knowledge of the top office's desires. Had the DNA results and evidence bag antics not occurred, I'm thinking no bobblehead, no Soldier Field appearance.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
That + the bobblehead seem to convey the Blackhawks think Kane is innocent. I figured, if the bobblehead was a mistake released by marketing not knowing what management wanted regarding Kane, it would've been pulled the next day with an apology from the organization and since it wasn't, it seemed like marketing released the schedule with full knowledge of the top office's desires. Had the DNA results and evidence bag antics not occurred, I'm thinking no bobblehead, no Soldier Field appearance.

Yep.

People talk about 'optics' and 'public perception'.

Notice, there are only a handful of very loud voices (the media types) taking the position of 'bad PR' or 'Kane should be shuddered away until this is resolved' - Bernstein, DiCaro, Rozner, Kaplan, Fels, others. Even on this board, there are only a few.

I think the events of two weeks ago created a backlash. [mod] We saw the case against Kane effectively unraveling and the 'speculative' aspect of what we know lead to the most likely reality that Kane did NOT rape this woman as she alleges. When you combine the actions prior to the supposed event, the social media posts/deletions, the lack of Kane NDA, the top changing, the lawyer fiasco and the evidence hoax coupled with the reality that a young woman accusing a wealthy famous athlete of something heinous is actually a thing (and a thing that team babysitters inform all young new athletes about in every sport), the tide has turned.

Just in general conversation, people seem to be either erring on the side of 'let the justice system do their job/innocent until proven guilty' or 'the specifics of the case that we know support Kane's innocence' and are roundly supporting him. Almost as a huge FU to people like Bernstein, DiCaro, Graham, etc

I think you have a handful of very active, very loud voices suggesting these are 'bad optics', but as much as they want that bit to be true. It's just not. Public sentiment against Kane isn't as negative as it was before the events of 2 weeks ago. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Amazing how quiet the case has gone. Now Kane is apoearing in public, doing press interviews about hockey without all the investigation questions. It shows that if this gets dismissed it will likely blow over pretty quick.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Amazing how quiet the case has gone. Now Kane is apoearing in public, doing press interviews about hockey without all the investigation questions. It shows that if this gets dismissed it will likely blow over pretty quick.

Among most, but those angry, those who wanted him to be guilty, will probably write articles about "another rapist getting away because of rape culture", and other things that fit into their narrative, conveniently ignoring the DNA evidence and the conduct unbecoming of a rape victim (trying to get their own rape kit & underwear evidence tossed out. If Eoannau believed the mother was acting rogue, he wouldn't have necessarily dropped her daughter as a client). Unless the DA makes a clear presentation of the available evidence or lack thereof any why he closes the case, if he does, there will be a lot of spin still. Of course, that's leaving out any potential charges for the evidence hoax or civil suits in either direction. That would be a new chapter in all of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
From the article:

Spokesman?? Has the complainant hired a PR firm now?

When anything newsworthy happens, a family member usually serves as the single 'spokesperson'

So, in this instance, I'm thinking it's the accuser's mother. She's served that role gallantly so far.

And the accuser's attorney couldn't comment yesterday. Yesterday was Sunday and he was doing the church thang. :)

MR2010

Sep 4, 2015
This article from The Guardian is really just a summary of the case up to this point (with a few inaccuracies). But it does have some quotes from one of the reporters first on the story at The Buffalo News. I found his quotes interesting.

The Guardian
10-05-2015

In early August, just days before the star was scheduled to bring the Cup to town, word got out that Kane was the target of an investigation. The Buffalo News was the first to publish a report, based on anonymous sources.

“Well, somebody at our paper got a tip that there was an investigation going on,†said Dan Herbeck, an investigative reporter for the News who digs into “whatever the News calls forâ€.

Reporters “were able to confirm pretty quickly that there was an investigation, and it had to do with a sexual assault complaint by a woman against Patrick Kaneâ€, he said.

“But as far as details of it, it’s been one of the hardest stories to pursue that I’ve ever worked on in 38 years as a reporter.â€

Hawks818

Sep 6, 2015
Chicago
This article from The Guardian is really just a summary of the case up to this point (with a few inaccuracies). But it does have some quotes from one of the reporters first on the story at The Buffalo News. I found his quotes interesting.

Graham has given a completely different impression based on his interviews. He had his mind made up based on details he couldn't verify the first week of the investigation.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
When anything newsworthy happens, a family member usually serves as the single 'spokesperson'

So, in this instance, I'm thinking it's the accuser's mother. She's served that role gallantly so far.

And the accuser's attorney couldn't comment yesterday. Yesterday was Sunday and he was doing the church thang. :)

An interesting choice of words to use in this conversation.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
yea, I was among those who thought kane should have dropped him after that facebook thing. Worked out fine though. Not sure I'd ever want my lawyer debating people on social media though.

wafflecones

Sep 16, 2015
Based on the fact that Scott Levin first had the accuser's statement of wanting to pursue the case after her lawyer quit, it's safe to assume he has some source from the accuser's camp.

He tweeted that the DA recently interviewed the accuser's father about the bag hoax. https://twitter.com/ScottLevinWGRZ/status/651598333073559552

So, Sedita is apparently still investigating the this aspect of the case. I'm sure the family will deny any knowledge so I wonder where this is going.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
What did the father say?

For a brief time (I believe it was the day his daughter's attorney quit) he changed his facebook profile photo to a photo of himself holding a large knife. There was some followup comments, one of which said '2 minutes for slashing'. I don't know if the slashing comment was made by him or one of his facebook friends.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
For a brief time (I believe it was the day his daughter's attorney quit) he changed his facebook profile photo to a photo of himself holding a large knife. There was some followup comments, one of which said '2 minutes for slashing'. I don't know if the slashing comment was made by him or one of his facebook friends.

what an idiot

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010

Sounds like the accuser has two very mentally healthy and well balanced parents.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013

The story said it was Friday, which was the day of the DA's press conference, a day after Eoannau resigned from the case.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA

'Cause posting a picture of yourself holding a knife and a "2 minutes for slashing" comment is totally the best way to get whatever your point is across.

WTF is this guy smoking?

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Back when the news about this whole situation first happened, there were several people on hfboards and elsewhere on the Internet who predicted Kane would never play another NHL game.

Well, that's officially incorrect now.

Not that it's really important to point out, but as there's no other news so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia