Kane might be in legal trouble in Buffalo Pt II (verifiable sources only, no hearsay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Also, Toews commented on the situation.
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...rick-kane-investigation-support-your-teammate

I'm surprised the team hasn't ordered everyone to shut up about the incident until further notice.

Personally I'm not sure this is the wisest way, or the words, for the captain to break silence. Comparing a rape allegation to rumours about team mates fighting over cheating spouses? Packaging this as "the team stays together throughout everything and what happens outside the locker room does not matter"? He probably should have just kept quiet.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...rick-kane-investigation-support-your-teammate

I'm surprised the team hasn't ordered everyone to shut up about the incident until further notice.

Personally I'm not sure this is the wisest way, or the words, for the captain to break silence. Comparing a rape allegation to rumours about team mates fighting over cheating spouses? Packaging this as "the team stays together throughout everything and what happens outside the locker room does not matter"? He probably should have just kept quiet.

Toews has never really impressed me when going in front of a microphone, I'm surprised he spoke up. I would have preferred he just stay quiet, at least until camp starts.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Weren't you just saying in the other thread how the NA media overreacted regarding Raanta. But in this thread, you probably are leading the way in overreacting to anything that doesn't paint Kane with a guilty brush. The Toews comments are harmless. Nobody has been charged here.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
My lord, there is nothing wrong with what the captain said. I'm sure he knows more about the case then anyone posting here.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Nah.

It's pretty easy for those of us who know neither Kane nor his accuser personally to take a neutral, wait-and-see, approach.

Kane and Toews have been friends and teammates for 8 years. Toews doesn't even know the accuser. Obviously he's going to take the word of a guy he's known and been to 'war' with over the word of some girl. That's totally reasonable.

If it turns out that Kane is found guilty, then he put his trust in the wrong person. It happens. But I don't blame him for not turning his back on his friend the moment the politics of the situation got a little hot.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Toews is a very close friend and teammate of Kane's. Of course he's going to take a wait and see and stand by his friend approach.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Weren't you just saying in the other thread how the NA media overreacted regarding Raanta. But in this thread, you probably are leading the way in overreacting to anything that doesn't paint Kane with a guilty brush. The Toews comments are harmless. Nobody has been charged here.

I'm not sure how my relatively mild comment on the content and timing of those remarks could be compared to a media overreaction. If you want to compare reactions, people in the Raanta thread were at least first calling for his head for saying he didn't root for his team (for comments I also agree were unwise), whereas comments like these
At the end of the day we always say to each other that what is said and what is done within the locker room is the only thing that matters. We don’t let anything going on on the outside affect the way we do our jobs and the way we come to work together as a team.
, which seems to suggest that even if Kane did rape someone, it would not matter, is a receiving mostly supportive response.

Now, I doubt that his team mates actually wouldn't care at all if Kane raped someone. My point was that he should probably take a little more time and think what he says.

I'd like you to provide specific quotes of me suggesting Kane is guilty.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'm not sure how my relatively mild comment on the content and timing of those remarks could be compared to a media overreaction. If you want to compare reactions, people in the Raanta thread were at least first calling for his head for saying he didn't root for his team (for comments I also agree were unwise), whereas comments like these
, which seems to suggest that even if Kane did rape someone, it would not matter, is a receiving mostly supportive response.

Now, I doubt that his team mates actually wouldn't care at all if Kane raped someone. My point was that he should probably take a little more time and think what he says.

I'd like you to provide specific quotes of me suggesting Kane is guilty.

The question that was asked of him:

"Jonathan, I do want to ask you one question about being the captain of the Blackhawks. Obviously, most people are aware of a situation that has been developing regarding one of your star teammates. Obviously, I won’t ask you to comment on anything like that, but when something like that happens during the offseason does your focus as far as dealing with your teammates as well as the media change going into training camp as the captain of the team?"

The question was asking him as a captain how he handles distractions/incidents with teammates and the media. He answered the question perfectly. He was not in any way comparing it to the 'cheating spouses' garbage. You either need to read the question and answer again or are painting it with your bias.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
A grand jury hears the DA's case then decides if there's "probable cause" to bring criminal charges.

Thanks. I guess the name "grand jury" steered me into thinking it's already there to judge someone who's already been charged with a crime.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
A grand jury hears the DA's case then decides if there's "probable cause" to bring criminal charges.

So if that is true, and if the report is true - then that would mean the DA is pursuing charges against Kane, correct? I imagine if these reports are true, this all will come out very soon.

Kitty Hawk

"None of that stinkin' root beer!"
Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Chicagoland, Illinois, USA
So if that is true, and if the report is true - then that would mean the DA is pursuing charges against Kane, correct? I imagine if these reports are true, this all will come out very soon.
That's what it means. However grand juries only hear the prosecutor's witnesses, and the proceedings are secret, so we won't know what was presented.

Kitty Hawk

"None of that stinkin' root beer!"
Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Chicagoland, Illinois, USA
As I posted earlier, since only one side is presented, grand juries are prone to agree with the prosecution (unless the evidence is totally lame) and indict the accused. Not good for Kane.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
I just listened to the Giangreco piece and the headline is completely misleading. He said his source said "sexual assault allegations are never a slam dunk but this is as close as it gets." Now, this could mean the evidence is strongly against Kane or it could mean the evidence is strongly in favor of Kane. Of course they go with the sensational headline "Kane is ****ed." Giangreco then goes on to question whether the prosecutor feels he has enough evidence to win the case. Well, if it was a "slam dunk" against Kane why would there be any hesitation?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I just listened to the Giangreco piece and the headline is completely misleading. He said his source said "sexual assault allegations are never a slam dunk but this is as close as it gets." Now, this could mean the evidence is strongly against Kane or it could mean the evidence is strongly in favor of Kane. Of course they go with the sensational headline "Kane is ****ed." Giangreco then goes on to question whether the prosecutor feels he has enough evidence to win the case. Well, if it was a "slam dunk" against Kane why would there be any hesitation?

The fact that they're convening a grand jury effectively eliminates the always pretty silly idea that they meant it's a slam dunk in favor of Kane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00