Kane might be in legal trouble in Buffalo Pt II (verifiable sources only, no hearsay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
My two centavos....

If Kane is found to be guilty (possible) he should receive the same penalty as any other person convicted for the same crime. No more, no less.
If it turns out that Kane is in fact, the victim (possible), she should be charged and be made to stand trial.
Having said that, I know that justice is not always carried out in a court of law....and that having $$$$ and a great lawyer goes a long way in beating charges.

I'm done here.

After 1024 posts, we all should be done here. This thread needs to be suspended until the authorities make a decision, one way or the other.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
After 1024 posts, we all should be done here. This thread needs to be suspended until the authorities make a decision, one way or the other.

Kane is presumed innocent in court, not in public opinion, people are free to think what they like and believe whatever they like, and it goes both ways, some people think he's innocent because he has a great haircut, others think he is guilty because he has a douchy haircut.

sucks for him, good for the internet.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Kane is presumed innocent in court, not in public opinion, people are free to think what they like and believe whatever they like, and it goes both ways, some people think he's innocent because he has a great haircut, others think he is guilty because he has a douchy haircut.

sucks for him, good for the internet.

Who has the most recent picture of his haircut?
I'm prepared to judge on that criteria.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
My two centavos....

If Kane is found to be guilty (possible) he should receive the same penalty as any other person convicted for the same crime. No more, no less.
If it turns out that Kane is in fact, the victim (possible), she should be charged and be made to stand trial.
Having said that, I know that justice is not always carried out in a court of law....and that having $$$$ and a great lawyer goes a long way in beating charges.

I'm done here.

What most likely will happen is there will be some monetary settlement in a case like this. It will not mean Kane did not rape her nor should she stand trial. I am sure after this outcome dense people will only assume this as a money grab while closer to the truth is the woman will not have to go thru a long trial where she ends up being on trial as much as Kane is, and Kane can move on with his career.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
What most likely will happen is there will be some monetary settlement in a case like this. It will not mean Kane did not rape her nor should she stand trial. I am sure after this outcome dense people will only assume this as a money grab while closer to the truth is the woman will not have to go thru a long trial where she ends up being on trial as much as Kane is, and Kane can move on with his career.

Let's be fair to Kane, at this time we have no idea what constitutes 'closer to the truth'. If he's innocent, I don't think he'll pay her off.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
How do you get rid of Kane? Terminate his contract? I guess, but it'd be pretty terrible to lose a face of your franchise for nothing. Trade him? Not many teams have cap space for Kane, and we probably wouldn't get fair value knowing the recent events. Neither of those options are good for the franchise too, as many fans would be up in arms if nothing happened and then they trade Kane. Honestly, unless he is charged I don't think it's really realistic. If he is charged, then the conversation becomes much more realistic.

The only reason the Hawks would get rid of Kane is to save the Hawks image.

There's PLENTY of teams out there that'd be willing to take the gamble on Kane and his cap hit along with his 'baggage'. I don't see it being difficult to move him to a team who's trying to put fans in the seats. The Hawks don't need a player to do that anymore, and regardless of Kane's outcome, he'd put fans in the seats for a lot of franchises.

Not to mention the expansion around the corner.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
Let's be fair to Kane, at this time we have no idea what constitutes 'closer to the truth'. If he's innocent, I don't think he'll pay her off.

I think most everyone has been more than fair to Kane, the reality is the US legal system when it comes to rape is swayed heavily in favor of the defendant. 98% of all rapes either go unpunished or they aren't even reported at all.

At this point of things we have to assume Kane is innocent, and also assume that the victim's claim is real. That's all we can do. But more than likely this will end in some sort of money settlement down the road, in my opinion.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think most everyone has been more than fair to Kane, the reality is the US legal system when it comes to rape is swayed heavily in favor of the defendant. 98% of all rapes either go unpunished or they aren't even reported at all.

At this point of things we have to assume Kane is innocent, and also assume that the victim's claim is real. That's all we can do. But more than likely this will end in some sort of money settlement down the road, in my opinion.

I agree, just like Ribeiro did. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014

I'm not guessing how this will end, but I agree with everything else you wrote here. You do realize, though, that these positions aren't compatible with your earlier contention that the truth points to his guilt.

Neo1978

Aug 3, 2015
I'd like to know if the detectives checked Kane for any wounds. One would think he would have some marks on him if there was a struggle. If the victim scratched him, she would also potentially have skin and DNA under her fingernails.

Getting samples under the alleged victim's fingernails is a routine part of the sexual assault examination and becomes part of the so called rape kit. It is up to the police to later decide whether they end up getting those samples processed.

It takes a court order to examine the alleged attacker, so that is less likely.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I agree, just like Ribeiro did. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

Ribiero was never the subject of a criminal investigation in relation to the accusations his former nanny made. The case started and ended as a civil case.

Last edited:

Neo1978

Aug 3, 2015
98% of all rapes either go unpunished or they aren't even reported at all..

Could people please stop using made up statistical numbers? The statistical concept of "garbage in, garbage out" comes into play here. If people are unwilling to tell the truth on the input question, the resulting statistic based on that data will be just garbage. No one knows the number of unreported rape cases. No one knows how many accusations are fabricated, etc. Those are statistically indeterminable questions. And websites and journalists that keep perpetuating these types of numbers are purposely misleading the public.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Could people please stop using made up statistical numbers? The statistical concept of "garbage in, garbage out" comes into play here. If people are unwilling to tell the truth on the input question, the resulting statistic based on that data will be just garbage. No one knows the number of unreported rape cases. No one knows how many accusations are fabricated, etc. Those are statistically indeterminable questions. And websites and journalists that keep perpetuating these types of numbers are purposely misleading the public.

So long as the line serves to further their particular narrative - no, I dont think they will stop.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014

I also like precise numbers and am not a fan of pseudo-statistics. But his point, and I think nearly everyone would agree, is that many, many rapes go either unreported or don't get prosecuted due to the difficulties of establishing a burden of proof. The exact number is besides the point for this discussion.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I also like precise numbers and am not a fan of pseudo-statistics. But his point, and I think nearly everyone would agree, is that many, many rapes go either unreported or don't get prosecuted due to the difficulties of establishing a burden of proof. The exact number is besides the point for this discussion.

I would say that every other rape is beside the point for this discussion.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I would say that every other rape is beside the point for this discussion.

That's ignorant. The difficulties in prosecuting rape certainly play a role in people's speculation on how this will play out, and what it will mean if/when Kane buys his way out of this.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

you are free to not place much value personally in particular social science statistics, but others are just as free to post them.

abt424

Apr 4, 2012
Austin

Good luck with that. Rape is an extremely touchy subject and this specific scenario, with a famous athlete who has made some public mistakes in the past, it makes it even more difficult to discuss.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

One of the two major faces of the franchise who has helped us win three Stanley Cups and who is signed to a longterm, heavy cap hit contract is allegedly under investigation (or an event at his home is under investigation) by police authorities for a major felony based on numerous media reports and the police themselves.

We can't possibly just sit on our hands and not discuss something this grave for potentially weeks, if not months, while the legal process goes through its motions. Hopefully absolutely nothing comes from this and these topics are nothing more than a waste of bandwidth in the longrun, but the potential implications upon this franchise are far too vast to just ignore, and that's only looking at the hockey side of things and not at the potential image hit that the team could face or fans being unwilling to wear his jersey or cheer for him if things do turn out ugly or especially the gravity of the situation if the allegations are indeed true. You're entirely free to not participate in any conversation at your own choice, but under no circumstance are we going to stifle this conversation beyond enforcing site rules against libel and flaming and the sort.

abt424

Apr 4, 2012
Austin
One of the two major faces of the franchise who has helped us win three Stanley Cups and who is signed to a longterm, heavy cap hit contract is allegedly under investigation (or an event at his home is under investigation) by police authorities for a major felony based on numerous media reports and the police themselves.

We can't possibly just sit on our hands and not discuss something this grave for potentially weeks, if not months, while the legal process goes through its motions. Hopefully absolutely nothing comes from this and these topics are nothing more than a waste of bandwidth in the longrun, but the potential implications upon this franchise are far too vast to just ignore, and that's only looking at the hockey side of things and not at the potential image hit that the team could face or fans being unwilling to wear his jersey or cheer for him if things do turn out ugly or especially the gravity of the situation if the allegations are indeed true. You're entirely free to not participate in any conversation at your own choice, but under no circumstance are we going to stifle this conversation beyond enforcing site rules against libel and flaming and the sort.

I think that is the perfect stance to take.

This situation could (probably will) end up being the defining off-ice event in Kane's life.

It also will end up being the most important for the franchise's future since they drafted Toews/Kane.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I don't really have a horse in this race. Kane is what he is.

The NHL has historically distanced itself from sexual misconduct. Sheldon Kennedy left hockey and he was the victim! Did any team reach out to him?

Toxic personalities have been forced out of the league before. Avery?

The league is essentially a money generator. If they cared about the game they wouldn't endorse "game management". Once you realize that, you can better judge how owners will react to a punk player. Ask any woman how Kane can be rehabilitated for promotional purposes.

Kane is done. His contract will be voided and the union won't grieve it. If Chicago tries to peddle him, it will be leaked and they will suffer significant backlash at the ticket office. This has been shown definitively in the NFL. No owner will risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad