Kaliyev

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Holy shit, really? That's crazy. Never been suspended before and, while certainly a penalty, didn't seem like an egregious knee. I guess that gives Turcotte and Laferriere a bit of time to show what they've got.

Reactions: chris kontos

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
2 regular season games, not 4.

I would have given him 1 regular season game, when I first saw this I thought 4 regular season games, that would have been a joke.

Reactions: ru4reals

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
2 regular season games, not 4.

I would have given him 1 regular season game, when I first saw this I thought 4 regular season games, that would have been a joke.
Just going with what was written on the nhl website. I couldnt watch the game so i cant really have an opinion.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
f***in insane

literally f***in insane suspension for a nothing hit

• Haha
Reactions: ff8

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
This has major CAP implications for the Kings opening day roster. He will count against the CAP. Another player is going to get screwed because of this. Blake has to be fuming at Kaliyev for his selfish play.

Reactions: Gjwrams

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I would say that it is a little surprising that he got the 2 preseason and 2 regular season games thrown at him immediately, but I am also not shocked or surprised that the hit warranted discipline because it wasn't masked at all. Kaliyev literally got decked and immediately got up and ran the first player he saw. It was an easy call on the ice and is a highlighted example for disciplinary review. He is just going to have to be much smarter moving forward if he intends to use physicality more in his game.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Englund has the waivers poison pill deal (2 x $1M). I think you waive him and run with the below for the first 2 games. I'd rather waive Grundstrom and Lewis to keep JAD and Turcotte up too, but Kings gonna King.

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - Dubois - Laferriere
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Grundstrom - Lizotte - Lewis
Kaliyev (susp)

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy
Bjornfot - Clarke/Spence

Talbot
Rittich/Copley

That leaves between $300k - $600k in cap space depending on which goalie and RD3 you keep.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
What’s the point of a kneeing penalty ? There’s far worse knees that get 2 mins. What’s the point of this? He didn’t even stick his knee out or leaned with it out to clip someone. Bizarre.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
This has major CAP implications for the Kings opening day roster. He will count against the CAP. Another player is going to get screwed because of this. Blake has to be fuming at Kaliyev for his selfish play.
Major my ass. Blake's perfectly willing to have less than a 23 man roster. What's 1 game with one less healthy scratch? And he can kiss his own ass for screwing the team's cap in the first place.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Pretty surprised at even one game.

Selfish or not, nice to see a Kings player get mad and try to give something back. Just need to channel it better.

Have to imagine repeat offender for the cross-check to the back of the head he doled out in Getzlaf's last game. If not, two games is pretty ridiculous.

Reactions: tny760

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What’s the point of a kneeing penalty ? There’s far worse knees that get 2 mins. What’s the point of this? He didn’t even stick his knee out or leaned with it out to clip someone. Bizarre.
Agreed. Not that kneeing should ever be "okay", but I feel like this is pretty benign as far as other kneeing penalties to begin with. If they want to remove it altogether, make it an automatic game misconduct.

Reactions: Fishhead

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The PA got in on this, making sure a person in manager position doesn't take jobs away from players because of summer cap management.

blog_thirdEye.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
On one hand, fine, whatever, give him a suspension for reckless play, and keep the standard high for throwing games heavy at offenders.

On another, If I'm Blake, I'm ripping DOPS a new one for looking the other way when Cogliano and Hakanpaa took out Fiala and Doughty.

jk if i'm blake i'm out surfing, it's a beautiful day

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hoven brought up in a recent episode that if given the option, he thinks it's more likely they'll go the 11/7 route. For one, JAD is redundant as another center (he would have waived JAD instead of Fagemo), but the other point is that he's heard it's easier to ask a defenseman to play forward instead of having a forward go back to play defense.

Not sure if that's what Blake will do. Ultimately it's just poor cap management and he has nobody to blame but himself. We're seeing the early consequences of the PLD trade + extension.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think it’s a BS suspension for more than 1 preseason game. But, what chapter was this in the master class syllabus?

Reactions: Reaper45

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad