Prospect Info: Kaiden Guhle Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think Guhle’s overall skating ability has really improved since last year’s training camp. His edge work and closing speed are now real strengths and will only get better as he gets stronger. His puck handling is still a bit of an adventure but this kid has really become a core player faster than most, including this writer, could have believed or hoped for. Guhle will quickly transform himself from rookie to team leader if that has not already happened.

Jesus...this again.

You were always dead wrong about Guhle's skating....it is easier to just admit it than to continue building caveats to your original error in judgement. He has always been a great skater which was the main reason he was the #1 pick in the WHL Bantam priority draft. You made the typical error of slotting him in with the archetype of the stereotypical defensive dman and from there you allowed confirmation bias to shape your narrative.

I swear, some of the most opinionated posters on here are the worst judges of skating ability. Sorry for the rant but seriously try and actually learn instead of repeating the same rhetoric ad nauseam.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Ghule as on of the worst giveaways in the NHL at the moment. 18 , that's a problem
is it because he is playing first line minutes maybe?

Jesus...this again.

You were always dead wrong about Guhle's skating....it is easier to just admit it than to continue building caveats to your original error in judgement. He has always been a great skater which was the main reason he was the #1 pick in the WHL Bantam priority draft. You made the typical error of slotting him in with the archetype of the stereotypical defensive dman and from there you allowed confirmation bias to shape your narrative.

I swear, some of the most opinionated posters on here are the worst judges of skating ability. Sorry for the rant but seriously try and actually learn instead of repeating the same rhetoric ad nauseam.
I think he is a great smooth skater agree with you.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
He's fine. The Blues are a heavy, heavy team. There's a reason why we sat Drouin/Pitlick and played Pez.

Tarasenko is a freak and got his licks in on the kid. I don't see too many more games that he gets physically dominated like that in his future.
I do disagree a bit on this, he is still learning and even the best players were physically dominated at some point during their rookie season I am pretty sure it will happen again at some point. Don't burn me at the stake but he will for sure be a future star. Just a small observation :)

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Jesus...this again.

Gee. Such emotion. I wonder what happens when you get upset about something really important in life.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
There was no excess of emotion in my post......just shining a light on the insects.
This is how you sugar coat:

”Ghule could always skate, you have poor judgement and like crusty cat anus”

747EA784-3CE2-4966-9D8E-E36154CB3C08.jpeg

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I do disagree a bit on this, he is still learning and even the best players were physically dominated at some point during their rookie season I am pretty sure it will happen again at some point. Don't burn me at the stake but he will for sure be a future star. Just a small observation :)
Definitely not burning you. I think you're right in that he has to get physically stronger, most rookies do. But I don't think he's physically out of place right now on the back-end. Any strength will only enhance what he has instead of catching him up is what I'm saying.

Reactions: MilesNewton

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
According to Evolving Hockey's model, Guhle has played the toughest minutes of any player in the NHL so far. Guhle is a 20 year old rookie with no prior pro experience, that is INSANE. Savard is right behind him at 2nd.

Top 5 D:
1. Kaiden Guhle
2. David Savard
3. Adam Pelech
4. Cale Makar
5. Adam Larsson

Closest Comparables (over a full season):
- Charlie McAvoy (18-19) [sophomore]
- Drew Doughty (08-09) [rookie]
- Brandon Carlo (16-17) [rookie]
- Victor Hedman (11-12) [third NHL season]
- Moritz Seider (21-22) [rookie]

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
According to Evolving Hockey's model, Guhle has played the toughest minutes of any player in the NHL so far. Guhle is a 20 year old rookie with no prior pro experience, that is INSANE. Savard is right behind him at 2nd.

Top 5 D:
1. Kaiden Guhle
2. David Savard
3. Adam Pelech
4. Cale Makar
5. Adam Larsson

just to add even more context:

Guhle is pacing to finish 3rd in the modern era (since advanced tracking in 2007-08) among all defensemen:
1. Nick Lidstrom (2010-11)
2. Aaron Ekblad (2018-19)
3. Kaiden Guhle (2022-23)

His closest rookie comparable was Drew Doughty. Drew Doughty ranks 259th on that list.

Now obviously these are not player comparables, but its just adding context to the situation Guhle has been put in. There's really not words to describe it, it is quite literally insane. Props to both St. Louis and Guhle, and David Savard deserves a TON of credit as well, he's been an absolute beast this season.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Top 5 D:
1. Kaiden Guhle
2. David Savard
3. Adam Pelech
4. Cale Makar
5. Adam Larsson

Hopefully we can flip Savard for a fortune in a year or two.

Guhle's been impressive. I don't think we've had a dman play all three years of his ELC with the big club in a while.

Reactions: Sagikev and 26Mats

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
There was a lot of discussion regarding Kaiden Guhle and Braden Schneider (Some posters preferred Schneider) as they we're both drafted in 2020 (Guhle 16th and Schneider 19th) and both seen as somewhat similar players. Schneider has been great and even though he was in the NHL last season, I have doubts about his offence ever developing. Guhle's development has been massive and his offence has really come along to the point where I'm thinking this guy might even be able to run a power play one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad