Post-Game Talk: K .... (Leafs lose 3-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I hate losing, but c'mon, that's not even being fair...in one sentence you talk about old and slow players, in another you talk about young Dermott...the only player to score for the Leafs tonight was grandpa Marleau.

What I am pissed about is that not only did Babcock scratch Johnsson for Komarov; he f***ing put Komarov on PP. WTF is Komarov doing on PP?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Big difference between us and Jets is that they can be quite stingy if they need to. We don't have that dimension.

They definitely have a better overall D than us. No slugs like Polak or Hainsey. Everyone of them can skate well. We’ll get there eventually.

Reactions: libertarian

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The D looked gassed, only playing with 5 really hurt them, with this being a back to back on top. Though we controlled the play in the 1st but let it get away in the 2nd.

Didn't think Mac was as sharp as he has been, and their goalie was very good. Not much to choose between those teams and I think in a series we would win.

It was a nothing game in a 3 in 4 night setting where the only real goal was to escape with the lineup intact... really hope Dermott is okay by April 11.
He looked pretty sharp before getting a headshot from the Jets. Seriously where the heck are the concussion spotters?

Reactions: PromisedLand

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Just another example why i would rather play TB in the 1st round. Winnipeg mugged the leafs all night and Boston will do the same and we know refs dont call **** in the playoffs. I ratherbplay TB as they cant grind our skill guys like Bergeron and Chara will mug Matthews and Nylander all series long

If the other team is not intimidated though good luck with the mugging. You still have to play hockey.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Good 1st period, then the Leafs were just slower. Struggled with the physicality IMO. This might be a concern against some playoff opponents. Just about gave up after Schiefle tried to decapitate McElhinney. 4th line needs to be more effective, and today is the least effective they've looked in a handful of games.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
The McBackup interference and subsequent PP goal seemed to deflate the team. We def need to be better but f*** the refs.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I really only have 2 issues with Babcock.....I don't mind Polak, and Leo gives them a physical component in the playoffs..
I like the style of play....the power play set up....they way he worked with Kadri and Reilly...but..

First issue is ,of course, Hyman on Matthews' line..
Second,,is that Babcock doesn't go for it when they are down late.....leaves Hyman out there til the end....
If they do that in the playoffs...good luck..

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
He looked pretty sharp before getting a headshot from the Jets. Seriously where the heck are the concussion spotters?

Good point, yea! I don't yet understand why there was no call on that. One thing that game made clear is how soft the Leafs are compared to the Jets... I don't particularly like that about our team but it is what it is with the players we have and its not going to change. That being said, we can win despite that, its just an observation.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Relax, that was a penalty but far from running a goalie.
Scheifele is a pretty good skater! There is no reason why he couldn't have stopped, or gone around McElhinny, without making contact! He chose to make contact IMHO!

So, yes, he ran our goalie IMHO!

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
What I am pissed about is that not only did Babcock scratch Johnsson for Komarov; he ****ing put Komarov on PP. WTF is Komarov doing on PP?

First game back from injury and not much time to get Leo's game legs back before the playoffs...Babcock easing him back into game shape is what I'm thinking.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
not many things are more frustrating than Babcock's usage of garbage players. Komarov was our 2nd most played forward in the playoffs last year, despite being at the bottom of our team in terms of possession and production. He's also had many games this year where he's gotten more minutes than Marner or Nylander or both, despite still being our worst player in most categories. It's an absolute embarrassment

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If we are one and done, time to think long and hard if Babcock is the right coach for this team. He may be a good coach but who knows if he was even the reason the red wings won?
Well even if you look beyond that we are one of the top teams in the league, which doesn't really happen irregardless of coaching, the absolute majority of things have been terrific. We play great systems in most areas of the game, we get a lot out of all our players, we play as a good unit across the team and in every zone. Both our special teams have been good.

If your blood boils during a meaningless game because we don't load up with all our good players when there are several shifts left, and because of a few details that you didn't like, then you should probably take a step back and re-evaluate.

Reactions: stickty111 and Dr C

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Shut the f*** up about Komarov tonight guys, he was fine. We were on a back to back and playing our backup.

The real f***ing problem tonight is losing Dermott, I’m really hoping his foot is not broken, we need him

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Scheifele is a pretty good skater! There is no reason why he couldn't have stopped, or gone around McElhinny, without making contact! He chose to make contact IMHO!

Yes he is, could have stopped on a dime if he wanted to...that was a penalty but refs turned a blind eye again.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I couldn't give a rat's ass about the result, 3rd game in 4 nights and our backup in net because we're on a b2b

We played ok nothing special but ok considering the circumstances

What does worry me is Dermott (please be fine) because Polak and Borgman together isn't a good option if you want someone on a pair that can pass the puck out of there own zone, Komorov on that 4th line turns it from a positive into just something that's there (at best)

That doesn't make us better

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
If you wondered about the difference with Johnsson in the line up, I think you have your answer. Komarov slows the 4th line down so much and makes them so much less dangerous. If we are serious about winning hockey games Leo needs to come out.

Marner PP should started the PPs, even though the other unit scored.

Also, we all need to pray for Travis. I am worried, inside foot by a slapper usually isn't a good thing.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Why are people bitcing about Hainsey on the 6 on 5? They just had Reilly and Gards on for like a minute and half So who is left #22 , polak and hainsey. I would put Hainsey out here unless he went 5 fwds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad