TSN Radio JVR Wants To Stay - And Will Sign a Cost-Effective Deal... for 8 Years

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
It's time to turn the page on some of these guys and he is definitely one. The only value I can see in him is any pick we can get by trading his rights.

36 goals is impressive but he still only ended up with 54 pts. I think Kapanen will be the new JVR and may not hit 36 goals but will surpass 54 pts - and is already far better defensively.

Time to turn the page on a lot of players:
JVR
Gardiner
Komorov
Martin

I wasn't a huge Brown fan but he looked good playing with Matthews.

I'd also keep Bozak if he signed a good deal. Hard to find centers and Bozak can play on the third line

Biggest no to Bozak. After all these years still no idea what to do in his own end. Lots of weak defensive centres around. Problem is there’s not a lot of two way guys but that’s what they have to find to replace him.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
People wil realize what we had once he's gone and then they will talk about how this team needs an upgrade in the top 9 for sure maybe even the top 6 if Marleau falls off
You knew this was a possibility when we elected to keep him as an own rental.
The same thing could happen with Gardiner.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Biggest no to Bozak. After all these years still no idea what to do in his own end. Lots of weak defensive centres around. Problem is there’s not a lot of two way guys but that’s what they have to find to replace him.

I would consider holding onto Plekanec instead for a year if he signed 1 year at $3M. But anything over 1 year I'd go 2-3 years for Bozak if the AAV was decent.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I would consider holding onto Plekanec instead for a year if he signed 1 year at $3M. But anything over 1 year I'd go 2-3 years for Bozak if the AAV was decent.

Plekanec for 1 year

Or

Bozak for 1 year

No way Bozak gets a multi-year deal here. Time for the Leafs to walk away

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Plekanec for 1 year

Or

Bozak for 1 year

No way Bozak gets a multi-year deal here. Time for the Leafs to walk away

Problem is they don't have a #3 or #4 C ready to step in. Unless Aaltonen at 24 is ready....and who knows what they have there

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Problem is they don't have a #3 or #4 C ready to step in. Unless Aaltonen at 24 is ready....and who knows what they have there

Free agency, or maybe Nylander.

But you have to turn the page on some of these guys and start looking at new pieces.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

Don’t want either Bozak is a clear defensive liability and I doubt Plek has any intention of staying. Habs are likely to bring him back at a the low price he now commands.
If Tavares is a pipe dream, then a 3rd line centre becomes the second biggest priority after upgrading RH
D.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You knew this was a possibility when we elected to keep him as an own rental.
The same thing could happen with Gardiner.

Of course I did I just think the day is coming when those that hate JVR quickly become hypocrites when they realize "we should have kept JVR because now we got this gian f***ingt whole in the top 9 and Josh Leivo does nothing."

That's assuming Marleau doesn't lose a step if he does then it's a top 6 hole

Leafsman

May 22, 2008

If we didn't have Moore this year, Aaltonen likely would have started as the 4C this year. I am fully expecting him to be the 4C next year. I thought Freddie the Goat would have been but I am not so sure anymore.

The big question is 3C? Without a better option, I would not be horribly upset with Bozak at $4Mish.

Kapanen will be the new JVR, less goals but more defense. If Kappy had a little better aim, he could've had about 4-5 goals (granted that rings true for everyone, just saying he had so many good scoring chances.)

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I have yet to see an ounce of play-making skill from Kapanen. Skate, shoot, score. He does his solo effort very well. But the idea of having him on with any other significant players doesn't produce expectations of any synergy being created. Granted he's been on the fourth line. Then again, so was Matt Martin and he had a 3 assist night which is more then Kapanen has EVER produced.
You give that spot to Marner or Nylander, they would easily play their way back up the line-up. Kapanen? Not so much. He's a fourth liner. Since he's been in the league, not counting the playoffs, his assists/60 is .19. Which puts him at 676th overall in that time frame. Not only is he bad, he's practically the worst in the league for assists.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
If we didn't have Moore this year, Aaltonen likely would have started as the 4C this year. I am fully expecting him to be the 4C next year. I thought Freddie the Goat would have been but I am not so sure anymore.

The big question is 3C? Without a better option, I would not be horribly upset with Bozak at $4Mish.

Kapanen will be the new JVR, less goals but more defense. If Kappy had a little better aim, he could've had about 4-5 goals (granted that rings true for everyone, just saying he had so many good scoring chances.)
I was expecting Aaltonen to play after his good showing in pre season. He is beyond ready for a spot imo

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I have yet to see an ounce of play-making skill from Kapanen. Skate, shoot, score. He does his solo effort very well. But the idea of having him on with any other significant players doesn't produce expectations of any synergy being created. Granted he's been on the fourth line. Then again, so was Matt Martin and he had a 3 assist night which is more then Kapanen has EVER produced.
You give that spot to Marner or Nylander, they would easily play their way back up the line-up. Kapanen? Not so much. He's a fourth liner. Since he's been in the league, not counting the playoffs, his assists/60 is .19. Which puts him at 676th overall in that time frame. Not only is he bad, he's practically the worst in the league for assists.

this is a silly post, he has never had prolonged period on a line with real players (who are established) nothing in his past seasons show he cant set up goals he did it for the marlies. Allow chemistry and I bet his assist totals go up. Martin, Moore, Plekanec and the goat a whole lot of snipers there to pass to

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
JVR only had 18 assists all year so it's not like he was a playmaking machine. Pretty much net, deflect.
The difference is Kappy has speed plus D. He's trusted to PK as well so doesn't need to be sheltered.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
I was expecting Aaltonen to play after his good showing in pre season. He is beyond ready for a spot imo
I was a big Gautier supporter, but with the introduction of Aaltonen I have changed my mind. Gautier has made huge improvements but I'm thinking Aaltonen is the safe and better choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad