TSN Radio JVR Wants To Stay - And Will Sign a Cost-Effective Deal... for 8 Years

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Supposedly like an Oshie deal... somewhere in the 8 years 5.75 million range... which of course is a good deal for JvR, if not too long... but I'm not sure we could afford that anyway.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I feel sad that this news makes me want to trade JVR even more. We've seen jvr for a long time now, we know what he brings. And o just dididnt want to see him as a leaf when we had option of Kapanen and Leivo sitting or waiting in the minors. It sucks that a guy who wants to resign for 8 years at a effective rate isn't wanted by lots of the fanbase (me included). If he would only be willing to sacrifice some offensive for more intensity in the defesnive zone. If he played more like Wayne Simmonds I'm sure everyone would love to have him here. But I think now kapanen is the better long term option.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
EIGHT years? Eight?

That's . . . a long . . . time . . .

Sounds like a negotiation thing with his agent and the Leafs. And knowing Lou, this will be the last we ever hear about this subject, as he will quash all noise on it immediately, and then either he will get signed, or traded at the deadline, it's an either/or I think.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Where's this from? Not that I don't believe you, but was it from an insider? JVR? Agent? Something other than talking radio heads

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That's half of what's needed to iron out a new contract. Now, what's to be determined is are we as interested in re-signing him to such a deal? Obviously can't rule out anything until he's no longer a Leaf, but I still don't think the odds are in favour of it happening.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Three years max for this guy. He is sort of slow now, and will only get slower from here on out. I think he would be good with this group for the next 2- 3 years but being tied to him for any longer would not be in the teams best interest.

I say a hard no on that. 3 years max @ 5 or less. If he won't go for that, trade his ass; which should not be too hard as he still has some good value.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Sure. 8 years at 4M per otherwise 4-5 year deal is the highest I would go.

I value Oshie more than I value JvR so his deal is not a comparable we should use. I don't mind the management giving JvR a raise but 8 years should be out of the question.

He would be half way to 30 before his contract began. JvR till 37? No thanks.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The simple fact is we don't need JVR moving forward, we already have a complete logjam at wing. Wouldn't touch 8 years no matter what he wants, 8 months is what I want :)

Reactions: AppsSyl

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I would be open to it because I feel like if things go south we can make decent trades to go for it. We are still trying to find a solid guy on the left side.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
All we need to do to get Jvr showing up every 3rd game and showing no effort on defense (people need to go easier on Mitch; he needs to be the offensive engine of that line and do the defensive work of 2 guys) is an 8 year commitment!? Where do I sign?

I'd take him at his current rate for 4 years not a penny or a day more, I like what he can bring but doesn't always bring, and would happily take a late 1st + A- prospect, or a young 2nd pair with size D with upside for him. We have guys ready to take his job that we can mold in the image we want for the team.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
LMAO. Hitting the pipe early today?

Yeah lol. This is our management's first big test. They have to learn to let go players like JvR if they want a 7-8 year deal.

All the wingers signed for 6-8 years in recent times look like bad deals considering their age when they signed it. Ladd, Okposo, Eriksson, Backes, Lucic, Oshie etc. I don't want one of those contracts.

Lets not be the team that hands out retirement contracts.

I don't like JvR's inconsistent gme and this is his contract year...imagine his game once he signs a fat contract that gives him a lifetime of security.

Reactions: The Apologist

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
All we need to do to get Jvr showing up every 3rd game and showing no effort on defense (people need to go easier on Mitch; he needs to be the offensive engine of that line and do the defensive work of 2 guys) is an 8 year commitment!? Where do I sign?

I'd take him at his current rate for 4 years not a penny or a day more, I like what he can bring but doesn't always bring, and would happily take a late 1st + A- prospect, or a young 2nd pair with size D with upside for him. We have guys ready to take his job that we can mold in the image we want for the team.

JVR has value as a rental but not that much value.

Reactions: KeonHorton

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
As I have repeated over again, I think that the Marleau signing makes him redundant, and Marleau was supposed to take his spot when a trade happens. However, I obviously could be way off, and management always wanted a 6.25 checking winger.

If any of the "big 3" UFAs stay, I would say it would be bozak if he wanted to sign a team friendly deal, AND the team did not plan on using Willy at C. If they do and they want to keep JVR for 8 (thats IF) I wonder what it would look like.

Okposo signed for 7 x 42. Over 8 that would be a cap of 5.25
Ladd signed for 7 x 38 i think?

He must know that the team tried to trade him, and would be nuts to ask for 6 x 8. What would be the highest people would go? 4.5-5?

If we wanted to roll

Hyman Matthews Marner
JVR Nylander Kapanen
Marley Kadri Brown
Martin Aalt Grundstrom

It could work for 4.5 x8ish (front loaded).

If they don't want nylander to be a C, then they could try to keep Bozie for 5 x 4.5

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Bozak Marner
Kap Kadri Brown
Martin Aalt Grundstrom.

I don't really think that JVR makes sense here, but if they wanted him to be a LW then it would have to be under 5 million cap hit, front loaded, no full NTC.
4.5 x8
like 6,6, 6, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2. So that they could have the option to buy out the last 2. Not sure if thats worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad