TSN Radio JVR Wants To Stay - And Will Sign a Cost-Effective Deal... for 8 Years

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He is perfect component for a contender like Nashville that has good D. Find some teams with solid D and a good chance and that's where JVR works. I like JVR but not with Bozak. If Bozak went it would be interesting to see how his overall game becomes. Its been so many years now.

Stress we retain for improved return.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I remember being told I was insane and delusional when I suggested he might not want max dollars to stick around. People insisted it was 6.5+. I won't hold my breath on the apologies :P

His net presence is pretty useful and so are his goals/points. Leivo and Kapanen do not bring the same things.

Obviously 8 years would be a dubious signing but 4...not so bad.

We'll see what happens, this could play out a lot of different ways. I can see reasons to keep our best LW.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Yea, that is literally all he does, because he does not give a **** about defense. His presence has hurt Marner's defensive game

This narrative is also false.

I'm not saying JVR is some type of Selke candidate, but he's meh defensively, like many great scorers.

If you look at his scoring chance for/against numbers under Babcock you'd be very surprised.

Reactions: Caroline Says ll

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
The Chicago model isn't possible anymore, they had Keith and Hossa on cap circumventing contracts plus Toews and Kane on dream deals. Signing the complimentary players like Zaitsev and JVR to long term team friendly deals could be the new way to go.

IF you can get them to sign very team friendly deals. The Kadri/Rielly/Hyman/Brown/Zaitsev contracts are good value deals that are sustainable.

I personally don't see JVR doing that, but who knows. He is a good player but we have players who can move up in the wings and replace him for much, much cheaper.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
There are pros and cons on both sides.

I think the Leafs should keep JvR for the playoff run and let him walk for nothing. Think about it this way: If the Leafs are leading their division comfortably and are going for it, wouldn't they spend assets at the deadline to make the team better? So imagine we spent assets to get JvR as a rental and then let him walk because he doesn't fit our plans and then actually spend real assets to get even better.

Leafs shouldn't subtract from their roster if the team is in a good position.

It all depends on where they are in the standings and how they feel about the team at the deadline. I would be okay with trading him or letting him walk. Trading him only makes sense if we're trading him out west and we get a real good player on the verge of making an impact (like Kapanen).

I think this is right on the mark. If they could have traded him for a Tanev or used him as the key piece in a Trouba trade, they would have. So why not keep him for a good playoff run instead of adding at the deadline the way teams do? If he goes for a mid round 1st and a prospect at the deadline, keep him, play him and his line sheltered minutes, and reap the pp goals.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Agreed. But at what term and aav? Gardiner is the one you seek to manipulate cap hit via term with in order to maintain your core as long as possible. JVR is not.

Agreed. and the good news is that Jake's track record will likely never give him the kind of public overrating that ends up with getting a massive contract. i.e. both jvr and jake would likely command similar contracts, but jake is much more valuable.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
they also need/should to determine what they have with Kapanen before committing to 8 years with JVR

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This. Its literally a very easy call.

The first "tough call" they'll likely have will be when Gardiner comes up for renewal. But that's another debate for another time.

Yeah that may be one way to think about this one - don't spend on JVR so we can spend on Gardiner later. He's much, much more important to us, really hope we can work that one out!

If Gardiner were to say he'd be willing to take less to stay with us for 8 years I'd be like, yay, that's what we like to hear. When JVR says that though I'm like, OMG LOL 8 years WTF keep back dude. :laugh:

Reactions: MJ65

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
so much that Babcock is reducing his time on ice because his entire line is horrible defensively?
yes they can produce, but if they are costing you goals (and games)...

or because that line doen't kill penalities and the game has been FULL of them?

JuanSnow

Mar 5, 2016
The Marleau signing sealed JVR's fate. Even spending 3m per on JVR for 8 years would ruin our cap. Plus JVR will be terrible by the time he's 35, way too long of a contract.

Anything that could be spent on JVR should be spent of Defense. Gardiner needs a new contract in two years (or he needs to be replaced) and we will have no money to do it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's worth considering. I don't think there would be a huge drop off in his production - probably settles more into a 50 point player as he enters his mid 30s.

That said, Nylander/Marner/Matthews are going to take up 21-26ish million and then the team will only be able to spend so much on supporting tier forwards, especially if they want to keep investing a bit more money into the defense. Not to mention the Leafs prospect pool is over flowing with wingers at present.

Would be a tough decision but would probably reluctantly pass on resigning him

Reactions: freshwind

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
JVR is what he is. An effective goal scorer who takes games off and is lazy on the defensive side.
I wouldn't sign anyone to 8 years, unless it's one of the big 3....and even then......

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
I just can’t see him signing for less than 4.5AAV, and that’s too much long term for our cap situation. I’d really like to retain him, he’s a pretty solid winger for as much flack as he takes here, but it seems unlikely.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I said before anything more then 5x5 you let him walk

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Say what you guys will, but JVR is the most under appreciated Leaf I can remember.

He's 24th all time in leafs points per game for Leafs that played at least 300 games.
He's 13th overall in goals per game for leafs that played at least 300 games.

He's been absolutely terrific under Babcock as well.

All he does is produce, the hardest thing in the NHL to do.
At the right price I'd be totally down for keeping JVR. Any player who can produce 60 points is an asset.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
LMAO. Hitting the pipe early today?
I hit it early and still can't believe he thinks 8 years is doable. This is just the nail in the coffin for me, JVR must be traded. It's not as if it needs to be for futures either, a pending UFA dman would work.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I would rather replace him with Kapanen, you might use a bit of offence but Kapanen is going to be way better defensively and is going to be a solid 2 way winger that can give you 50 points and with time and experience can even out produce JVR on score sheet

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JVR should wake up and smell the roses.

When Leafs signed Marleau this summer, that should have sent him the message that he was likely on the way out.

If the Leafs were serious about retaining JVR they would have allocated the Marleau $$ to his new deal instead.

I can understand why he wants to stay, because Leafs are a young exciting team on a meteoric rise at present, so he knows success is looking promising and he wants to be a part of it after enduring all the down years to get here. But he is going to have to take a significant discount to stay around, and fit into Leafs future cap situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad