TSN Radio JVR Wants To Stay - And Will Sign a Cost-Effective Deal... for 8 Years

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Im not a big fan of JVR but wouldn't mind him at the right price. 8 years is ridiculous though. HOWEVER, until someone can confirm this actually came from JVR's camp I struggle to take it at face value. Theyre often extremely off on these reports.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
LMAO. Hitting the pipe early today?

Say what you guys will, but JVR is the most under appreciated Leaf I can remember.

He's 24th all time in leafs points per game for Leafs that played at least 300 games.
He's 13th overall in goals per game for leafs that played at least 300 games.

He's been absolutely terrific under Babcock as well.

All he does is produce, the hardest thing in the NHL to do.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah lol. This is our management's first big test. They have to learn to let go players like JvR if they want a 7-8 year deal.

All the wingers signed for 6-8 years in recent times look like bad deals considering their age when they signed it. Ladd, Okposo, Eriksson, Backes, Lucic, Oshie etc. I don't want one of those contracts.

Oh yeah, I've been saying for close to a year now that what they do with JVR is by far the most interesting decision has yet to face. Keeping him isn't even an option IMO but will they trade him or let him walk, that's the question.

Reactions: Pi

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Im not a big fan of JVR but wouldn't mind him at the right price. 8 years is ridiculous though. HOWEVER, until someone can confirm this actually came from JVR's camp I struggle to take it at face value. Theyre often extremely off on these reports.

it came directly from JVR from LeBrun who is usually on point with these things.

Reactions: The Apologist

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Considering that others will be earning raises in the future as well, JVR could probably stay with this rising team at $5M+ AAV for another 2 years. Really it's up to him whether he wants to give up the immediate surety of a retirement deal he might get elsewhere. I'd fully understand him deciding to go elsewhere and wish him the best. If however he wants to be a part of potential championship caliber team for a few more seasons, I'm sure something could be worked out.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
8 years is hard to swallow for any player unless you are talking Matthews, Nylander, Marner or some one at that level

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Say what you guys will, but JVR is the most under appreciated Leaf I can remember.

He's 24th all time in leafs points per game for Leafs that played at least 300 games.

so much that Babcock is reducing his time on ice because his entire line is horrible defensively?
yes they can produce, but if they are costing you goals (and games)...

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Oh yeah, I've been saying for close to a year now that what they do with JVR is by far the most interesting decision has yet to face. Keeping him isn't even an option IMO but will they trade him or let him walk, that's the question.

There are pros and cons on both sides.

I think the Leafs should keep JvR for the playoff run and let him walk for nothing. Think about it this way: If the Leafs are leading their division comfortably and are going for it, wouldn't they spend assets at the deadline to make the team better? So imagine we spent assets to get JvR as a rental and then let him walk because he doesn't fit our plans and then actually spend real assets to get even better.

Leafs shouldn't subtract from their roster if the team is in a good position.

It all depends on where they are in the standings and how they feel about the team at the deadline. I would be okay with trading him or letting him walk. Trading him only makes sense if we're trading him out west and we get a real good player on the verge of making an impact (like Kapanen).

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
JVR is a defesinvley weak scoring winger capable of 60 points. He's great on the PP, and by losing him our offence will not be as good by around 5-10 goals. He's a 30-30 guy... I think Kapanen or Leivo would be a 20-20 guy maybe even 25-25 if they play with Marner... I mean, for a team that is SO stacked, we want to look for upgrades at every possible angle, so even losing that little bit of offence will slightly hurt. But if Kapanen is better defensively and he's 1/5 the cost for 2-3 years; then i'm sorry but JVR has to go. JVR is worth minimum 5 years x 6 million or 6 years, 5 million. Then you will have some team PROBABLY overpay. He can sign for a discount at 4.5-5.0 over 5 years (unlikely) or we should go with the cheaper youth option in my opinion. I'm not going to act like we won't miss elements of JVR because we will, but this is strictly cap management.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

You should get a job as a GM and make us an offer.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Yea, that is literally all he does, because he does not give a f*** about defense. His presence has hurt Marner's defensive game

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So a 1st and a decent prospect haha.

That sounds about right. There's a huge difference between and "A" prospect and a decent prospect.

There are pros and cons on both sides.

I think the Leafs should keep JvR for the playoff run and let him walk for nothing. Think about it this way: If the Leafs are leading their division comfortably and are going for it, wouldn't they spend assets at the deadline to make the team better? So imagine we spent assets to get JvR as a rental and then let him walk because he doesn't fit our plans and then actually spend real assets to get even better.

Leafs shouldn't subtract from their roster if the team is in a good position.

It all depends on where they are in the standings and how they feel about the team at the deadline. I would be okay with trading him or letting him walk. Trading him only makes sense if we're trading him out west and we get a real good player on the verge of making an impact (like Kapanen).

Oh I don't know, trading him for any assets is fine IMO as those assets can always be flipped for whatever we want/need.

I can see the argument for keeping him for sure just because I think we can win it all this year. On the other hand, spending assets because we're going for it isn't a no brainer either - we're going to be going for it most years in the coming years and you can't just spend every year or you run out of assets pretty fast. It may make sense to wait one more year before spending - next year all our young players will be yet again just that much better, we'll still be getting the big three cheap so maybe that's the year we should consider making a big push.

It's a tough call and as I said earlier, it may end up being a close decision and the deciding factor may be the return we get. Lou might end up flipping a coin. :laugh:

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
Unfortunately, when you have star players that have upcoming deals... you can't sign the complimentary players to big deals.

If we want to use the Chicago model as a template, then the path is obvious. The Sharp, Byfuglien, Versteeg, Saad-type players simply have to be replaced through the pipeline. You simply can't afford the lock in the JVR, Komarov, Bozak's of the world if you want to keep your stars.

Sorry James, it's just business.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
if he wants oshie money then that's not a discount for term
around 4 like most are saying is cost effective....and hopefully starts a trend of all of them doing it

Palat, Schwartz, Tatar are early 90s birthdays and similar production, they are 5.3 per so with term and him being a bit older maybe they could get him under 5 per

Caps have Ovie 9.5 , Kuz at 7.8 and Backstrom at 6.7 and i'd say thats comparable to Leafs big three
cap wise

Then no franchise d or G (5 mill type guys)

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
so much that Babcock is reducing his time on ice because his entire line is horrible defensively?
yes they can produce, but if they are costing you goals (and games)...

Yeah JVR is really costing us games, that's why the team is undefeated.

His 3 point performance in game one hurt us like crazy!

That tying goal against the Hawks KILLED us.

Great logic there.

You're basing that Babcock is reducing his ice time at even strength based on that one game against the Rangers? Not that the Leafs were killing 6 penalties? We will see where his ice time is at the end of the season. We'll also see where his production is.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Jvr is the toughest call we're going to have but we have to let him go. We have too many wing prospects with legit 20/50 potential but with grittier two way play than him. And there are always cheapo older vets around if we find ourselves desperate for some winger scoring in any given year.

Reactions: freshwind

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They discussed this on TSN That's Hockey yesterday, about the 8 year term.

I cringed when I heard that.

I was hoping he would already be gone, never mind 8 more years.
Yep, he's already been here too long.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Really dont see this happening. Unless he wants to sign for under 5, He's not staying.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Unfortunately, when you have star players that have upcoming deals... you can't sign the complimentary players to big deals.

If we want to use the Chicago model as a template, then the path is obvious. The Sharp, Byfuglien, Versteeg, Saad-type players simply have to be replaced through the pipeline. You simply can't afford the lock in the JVR, Komarov, Bozak's of the world if you want to keep your stars.

Sorry James, it's just business.
The Chicago model isn't possible anymore, they had Keith and Hossa on cap circumventing contracts plus Toews and Kane on dream deals. Signing the complimentary players like Zaitsev and JVR to long term team friendly deals could be the new way to go.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Jvr is the toughest call we're going to have but we have to let him go. We have too many wing prospects with legit 20/50 potential but with grittier two way play than him. And there are always cheapo older vets around if we find ourselves desperate for some winger scoring in any given year.

Not signing him to a long term isn't a tough decision at all, it's the opposite of a tough call.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I'd rather allocate his money the defense or center position and promote young cost effective wingers from within. Kapanen should make a great replacement for him next year at a quarter of the cost of his current salary let alone his next contract. That's how this team is going to stay competitive long term. Give the term to the stars and cut bait with the guys riding shotgun periodically. JVR and Bozak should be the first wave of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad