Jurco: Wings made "safe plays, and chipping it in and playing safely"

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
That's probably because you're hanging out in Warren and Sterling Heights lol

I've been to Detroit gazillion times and been to the downtown area plenty of times to tell you that it's dead and boring for young people. This is comparing it to cities like Toronto and Chicago, it's not even close. But I do love the suburbs for family life now that I'm older.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
That's probably because you're hanging out in Warren and Sterling Heights lol

Truth. Grew up in Bloomfield Hills. Birmingham looks like a bustling metropolis compared to that but there's plenty of action in Detroit this days and more coming every month.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I've been to Detroit gazillion times and been to the downtown area plenty of times to tell you that it's dead and boring for young people. This is comparing it to cities like Toronto and Chicago, it's not even close. But I do love the suburbs for family life now that I'm older.

You must not have been downtown in awhile. Doesn't have to be like Chicago or Toronto to be fun.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I love going back to Detroit, there is indeed plenty to do, as far as I'm concerned. However, I'm not in my 20s anymore. For a kid like Jurco? The nightlife in Chicago is magnitudes better. Any kind of scene you're looking for, it exists in spades here. For as much fun as a 24yo may be able to find in Detroit, it just doesn't compare to Chicago.

That said, if he's so concerned about nightlife, it may be his priorities are screwed up. And his game certainly doesn't do anything to dissuade from that idea.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
The thing I remember most from my visit to Detroit was the number of run down and broken buildings around was a bit of a shock to me. That and that the CBD was so quiet even if it was a weekend.

It was certainly the least safe place I felt myself in my NA trip.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If I am making 6 or 7 figures I would much rather live in New York, Chicago, Toronto, Los Angeles, etc... I don't really think that is a point of argument is it?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

I was just there last week for business. We walked to the game from the Marriott RenCen and there were tons of things to do on the way to JLA. If you like food, tons of awesome places to try out, we went to a Greek place that kept lighting things on fire and yelling "Opa!" every time they did it. Lots of fun.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I was just there last week for business. We walked to the game from the Marriott RenCen and there were tons of things to do on the way to JLA. If you like food, tons of awesome places to try out, we went to a Greek place that kept lighting things on fire and yelling "Opa!" every time they did it. Lots of fun.

Yeah I'm sure this is what Jurco was talking about.

Guys it's OK to let another city, specifically one of the biggest in the country, be a better playground for a millionaire youth.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Living in Chicago as a 20-something is pretty awesome. I love Chicago, hate dealing with bears/hawks fans - pure haters. It's such a miniscule part of my life though.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Living in Chicago as a 20-something is pretty awesome. I love Chicago, hate dealing with bears/hawks fans - pure haters. It's such a miniscule part of my life though.

Cubs are the only good fan base. Hawks are only good if they're bad usually. Bears are probably the worst

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Cubs are the only good fan base. Hawks are only good if they're bad usually. Bears are probably the worst

Luckily I'm a cubs and bulls fan(dgaf about the NBA though) so there is definite common ground and people only know that I'm a Packers/Wings fan if they are informed.
Dumbest NFL city in the country though, your QB shouldn't have to quiet down the home crowd in the red zone or fans be constantly reminded that they have the least playoff appearances of NFC north teams the past 20 years. At least they've always followed that team.
My fear is my beloved cubs will now be treated the same way as the hawks by the fans.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
since I don't think anyone else has said it, I will. Maybe the guy should have been more concerned about his game than what he was doing after the game, because what he was doing on the ice left a lot to be desired. I get that he's young and whatever, but all of the opportunities that were coming to him for being a hockey player will vanish quickly if he doesn't get his stuff straightened out on the ice. And comments like this sort of make me question how much of a focus the hockey stuff might have been.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
since I don't think anyone else has said it, I will. Maybe the guy should have been more concerned about his game than what he was doing after the game, because what he was doing on the ice left a lot to be desired. I get that he's young and whatever, but all of the opportunities that were coming to him for being a hockey player will vanish quickly if he doesn't get his stuff straightened out on the ice. And comments like this sort of make me question how much of a focus the hockey stuff might have been.

Other people said it, like jaster. It's a fair thing to point out, particularly when Detroit did give him plenty of opportunity to thrive. But obviously he had some gripes.

The majority of the statements were regarding his perceived fit in a system that rewards creativity and risk taking over safe defensive posturing. In that regard, he is focusing on what he's doing on the ice. And it's hard to disagree with him. Detroit has played safe system his entire tenure with the Wings. He's been asked to play physical and chip it off the glass. I get where he's coming from. Whether that's good for his game or not, I don't know.

The only thing I didn't get was why he had to throw the city of Detroit under the bus on the way out. A more mature response would have been to compliment Chicago and not mention Detroit at all.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
age is simply an excuse to act like a jackass

there are plenty of guys in their young 20's who can comprehend that it's probably not a good idea to trash the city of a team you were just traded from

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Instead of wondering if what Jurco said was right, most of you are choosing to focus on Jurco's personal ability or lack thereof as a player.

That's called ad hominem.

I would have figured more people would care about a discussion about whether or not the Wings have gotten away from the possession style of hockey that made them so dominant but I guess that's not the case.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Instead of wondering if what Jurco said was right, most of you are choosing to focus on Jurco's personal ability or lack thereof as a player.

I would have figured more people would care about a discussion about whether or not the Wings have gotten away from the possession style of hockey that made them so dominant but I guess that's not the case.

The Wings have definitely gotten away from possession style hockey. That's fairly evident. They didn't have the talent to play that style any longer, particularly the defensive corps.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

There are plenty of other threads on Detroit's decline. Why do we need another one? What Jurco said is obvious to anyone. It's also obvious that he's bitter and looking for excuses for his own personal failures. Ad hominem only matters if you're arguing. No one's arguing with Jurco's point about the Wings playing safe. The reason they play safe is because they aren't as skilled as they used to be. Jurco just thinks he's more skilled than he actually is.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The Cubs are a terrible fanbase. What are you talking about?

Why is this?

Since 2001 they've only been out of the top 10 in attendance in 2012/2013 @ 11 and 12 respectively, not including how well they travel. They've stood by their team for a hundred years waiting and deservedly went crazy when they finally won.

When the Bears suck, they don't watch. When the Hawks suck, they don't watch. When the Bulls suck, they don't watch. When the Sox suck, they don't watch. The Cubs sucked plenty and they still had a good following in the dog days.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

Dude I'm 23 and I live downtown. You're way off here. Since I moved here in August, I've never been left without something to do.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The Cubs sucked plenty and they still had a good following in the dog days.

Can confirm. My grandfather and father lived their entire lives without seeing a Cubs championship. My grandfather lost his sight eventually but still listened to the radio every game. Loyal to the bitter end.

I seriously thought for a good while I'd be the third generation straight without seeing a title. :laugh:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Everyone knows he was technically right, but him spouting it on the way out just sounds like sour grapes because he sucks at hockey.

If he had the talent he would have been given the chance to be creative. He didn't.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad