Jurco: Wings made "safe plays, and chipping it in and playing safely"

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Jurco opens up a little bit about his time in Detroit

The biggest difference is that here we're told to make plays instead of just making safe plays and chipping it in and playing safely," Jurco said. "Here you actually should create something if you want to stick in this lineup because there's so many creative players

Backs up what we've known for years - the roster doesn't have the skill level it used to

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Yup. Datsyuk was pretty much the sole entertaining factor Wings had going for them the last four years.

This team has been playing not to lose instead of winning for years already.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Tomas Jurco has been saying a similar message to the Slovak media every summer too.

He hasn't been the same guy since the injury against Boston.

All of that creativity has helped him collect all of zero points in his stay in Chicago. I had hoped he would be like another struggling Slovak in Panik that figured it out, I see no evidence thus far in terms of Jurco.

Jurco isn't a young guy that never got to sniff Datsyuk's wing. He played with both Pavel and Zetterberg for stretches and was totally irrelevant. When you don't do skillful things, coaches are going to start telling you to make safe plays. Coach Q is about to start telling him the same thing if he doesn't just press box him after he gets to expansion draft eligibility.

Hey I think there are problems in Detroit, I think we all know that. I don't think Jurco's inability to figure out the NHL as a player and his past comments make him an authority on it. He is KHL bound here real shortly if he cannot find a way to start hitting score sheets or play the game in a manner he openly detests.

There is a part of me that hopes somebody in his life gives him a good shake and says grow up. He isn't making the most of his opportunities and it is time he starts looking at the guy in the mirror a little in that scenario. He has a huge opportunity in Chicago, he had opportunities here. Coaches have to play players that have impact or play their role, thus far in the league Jurco hasn't done those outside of his hot start and that is what is holding him back, not the two coaches that voted him down here and my guess is we are about to see a third in Coach Q.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Jurco has played for two of the best coaches in the NHL and hasn't done squat. Like The Zetterberg Era said, he's played with both Datsuyk and Zetterberg. And now he is playing with Hossa in CHI. So far he has a whopping 0 points.

Jurco is nothing more than a 2nd round pick that turned out to be yet another bust. Ken Holland salvaged that bust for a 3rd round pick! Jurco has about 15 more games to quickly put it together before his NHL career is forever decided. And it's not looking good for him.

I'm just glad Ken Holland got a 3rd rounder for him. :yo:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Tomas Jurco has been saying a similar message to the Slovak media every summer too.

All of that creativity has helped him collect all of zero points in his stay in Chicago. I had hoped he would be like another struggling Slovak in Panik that figured it out, I see no evidence thus far in terms of Jurco.

Jurco isn't a young guy that never got to sniff Datsyuk's wing. He played with both Pavel and Zetterberg for stretches and was totally irrelevant. When you don't do skillful things, coaches are going to start telling you to make safe plays. Coach Q is about to start telling him the same thing if he doesn't just press box him after he gets to expansion draft eligibility.

Hey I think there are problems in Detroit, I think we all know that. I don't think Jurco's inability to figure out the NHL as a player and his past comments make him an authority on it. He is KHL bound here real shortly if he cannot find a way to start hitting score sheets or play the game in a manner he openly detests.

There is a part of me that hopes somebody in his life gives him a good shake and says grow up. He isn't making the most of his opportunities and it is time he starts looking at the guy in the mirror a little in that scenario. He has a huge opportunity in Chicago, he had opportunities here. Coaches have to play players that have impact or play their role, thus far in the league Jurco hasn't done those outside of his hot start and that is what is holding him back, not the two coaches that voted him down here and my guess is we are about to see a third in Coach Q.
Not being able to figure out the NHL has absolutely nothing to do with listening to a coach and understanding the message he is trying to get across. Being able to compare two different messages doesn't rely on hockey skill.

Watching the Detroit Red Wings is plenty evidence enough to back up his claim. FWIW I mostly agree about Jurco. Youtube, dryland sensation.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The 06-09 Red Wings teams were some of the most pure puck possession teams I have seen post-cap. If not the most.

You simplify your system as the talent on your roster decreases, same thing will happen to the Hawks eventually

I don't think he's wrong... I guess what's ironic to me is that players like Jurco not hitting on their potential were a big reason why we had to simplify our system and play style.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't think he's wrong... I guess what's ironic to me is that players like Jurco not hitting on their potential were a big reason why we had to simplify our system and play style.

Yep, poor drafting and development is why we're here. Jurco was supposed to be part of the rebuilding process and he failed to amount to anything.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

If it were only that easy. Like we hear time and time again, at top level, what matters the most is what's between your ears. Some people are just smarter, more aware and can do everything better. They can win battles, can focus so strong that they can slow it down further than other people, can create space just the way they want them, can pressure right way so that the guy who is just about to get the puck doesn't turn this way but rather that way so he doesn't get to see the whole ice before he has to make play, etc etc.

Not saying skills aren't important. Skills can definitely help him out as I think it can allow him to move the puck faster than opposition can react to it but like most average players, his scope of the game is limited he couldn't plan things out to be as effective. Like most players, could just take advantage of situations here and there when it rarely presents itself.

Every player has unique way of seeing the game. Maybe Wings havne't been able to explore and utilize his game well. I'm sure there are some truth to what he said about Wings. But he was given enough chances in variety of situations and hastn' shown much neither. I dont fault Jurco trying to sell himself to new team and new city. But for the discussion, well, people generally dont get whole a lot smarter overnight after years. Maybe we should start drafting smart players instead of people who are great youtube materials. You can always teach some tricks and professionalism later on but you can't make people smarter.

edit: maybe NHL combine needs to add some psychic evaluation since obviously intelligence plays a big part in a game like ice hockey. NVM i just found out they already do

Last edited:

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Maybe we should start drafting smart players instead of people who are great youtube materials.

I've also thought about this and I believe that a mix of smart/not so smart players are preferable. DeKeyser, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Brendan Smith, Glendening and Sheahan have studied at uni and are probably smarter than average. Educated people and people without education might possibly need different kinds of leadership. Teams need their smart guys, but you also need the guys who just obey orders and sacrifise their bodies in order to win. Peter Forsberg, for example, is not known for having a high IQ score. Henrik Zetterberg studied "Barn- och fritidsprogrammet" (to bedome a kinder garten teacher) in Sweden, which has low academic status.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yep, poor drafting and development is why we're here. Jurco was supposed to be part of the rebuilding process and he failed to amount to anything.

Jurco never developed because this team is obsessed with turning grinders into scorers and scorers into grinders, so they end up with a team full of players who suck at both. Jurco will probably never amount to anything since his formative years were spent being jerked around. How many prospects has this team brought in who were top players in their leagues only to "overdevelop" them straight out of the NHL? At some point you stop blaming the players and blame the system.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...I dont fault Jurco trying to sell himself to new team and new city. But for the discussion, well, people generally dont get whole a lot smarter overnight after years....

His sell-job is ridiculous. "Trying to shed bad habits", sure. Blaming Detroit is an amusing excuse for being one of the biggest passengers in the entire NHL. Surprised the Hawks have been this patient with Jurco, he does nothing for them besides eat up minutes.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Jurco never developed because this team is obsessed with turning grinders into scorers and scorers into grinders, so they end up with a team full of players who suck at both. Jurco will probably never amount to anything since his formative years were spent being jerked around. How many prospects has this team brought in who were top players in their leagues only to "overdevelop" them straight out of the NHL? At some point you stop blaming the players and blame the system.
I think injuries had more to do with it than anything else. Also the kid was doing great his first year and then coming back from the offseason it looked like he had lost the ability to play a skilled game. Babcock tried his best to give him opportunities but the kid did nothing with the chances.

You can critcize the development of a guy like Jurco but let's face it, he doesn't exactly have Mario Lemieux's skill. He would not have been able to survive in the NHL based on nothing but skill. He needed to learn more aspects of the game and it's not the Wings fault that Jurco seemed to lose all his offensive talent because he had to learn to not do youtube-dangles everytime he touched the puck.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I think injuries had more to do with it than anything else. Also the kid was doing great his first year and then coming back from the offseason it looked like he had lost the ability to play a skilled game. Babcock tried his best to give him opportunities but the kid did nothing with the chances.

You can critcize the development of a guy like Jurco but let's face it, he doesn't exactly have Mario Lemieux's skill. He would not have been able to survive in the NHL based on nothing but skill. He needed to learn more aspects of the game and it's not the Wings fault that Jurco seemed to lose all his offensive talent because he had to learn to not do youtube-dangles everytime he touched the puck.

I would list all of the prospects the Wings have had who have "busted" after hitting our development system, but I don't really have all day to type. This goes beyond Jurco. It's a systemic problem stemming from Holland and co's insistence on putting people into roles they aren't fit for and punishing only young players to avoid offending the veterans. Their second leading scorer and top prospect being scratched twice in a row while the rest of the team gets a free pass is a good example of this.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
They don't have the talent to play differently. Especially on defense.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I've also thought about this and I believe that a mix of smart/not so smart players are preferable. DeKeyser, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Brendan Smith, Glendening and Sheahan have studied at uni and are probably smarter than average. Educated people and people without education might possibly need different kinds of leadership. Teams need their smart guys, but you also need the guys who just obey orders and sacrifise their bodies in order to win. Peter Forsberg, for example, is not known for having a high IQ score. Henrik Zetterberg studied "Barn- och fritidsprogrammet" (to bedome a kinder garten teacher) in Sweden, which has low academic status.

Interesting story about Forsberg and Z, as I think it is pretty evident they are just smarter than others on ice.

I didnt mean it in a way of education though. As I'm not sure if ability to understand quantum physics would have much bearing on hockey. I believe university education as more of wisdom than smart. Honestly, it doesn't take much to get university degree anyways if you just do your work. What i meant was that some players just play very cerebral type of hockey. And those type of players synergies well each other. btw I'm sorry Vanek has been traded

I agree with what you said about balance between smart and other attributes. It doesn't matter how smart you are if you can't protect the puck under pressure or get easily pushed off, both of them which Wings couldnt do very well last time I saw them. Players who have both attribute usually get picked very early and what my previous point was that when we are trying to salvage some talents that slipped through the cracks maybe we should go for size + smart combo instead of size + skill. Players do pick up stuffs from each other and neat little smart plays here and there can be picked up easier and may elevate the standard of execution quality of the whole team

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I would list all of the prospects the Wings have had who have "busted" after hitting our development system, but I don't really have all day to type. This goes beyond Jurco. It's a systemic problem stemming from Holland and co's insistence on putting people into roles they aren't fit for and punishing only young players to avoid offending the veterans. Their second leading scorer and top prospect being scratched twice in a row while the rest of the team gets a free pass is a good example of this.
That list would be 99% late round picks who are unlikely to turn into anything special in any development system.
And it could also easily be countered by a very long list of prospects that have come up through our system and turned into very good or even great players.

Mantha being scratched is a Blashill problem nothing else.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It sort of comes across like Jurco badly wants to be a different kind of player than he is. I mean, I saw the YouTube highlights just like everybody else, but stick tricks don't mean you're a superstar in waiting. His most marketable talents have always been strength and size, but he's never really made peace with that, IMO. Did Detroit misunderstand Tomas Jurco, or did Jurco misunderstand Detroit? It sure seems like the latter to me. Maybe Tomas Jurco misunderstands Tomas Jurco.

Last edited:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
And it could also easily be countered by a very long list of prospects that have come up through our system and turned into very good or even great players.

Since 2008:
Nyquist
Tatar
Mrazek
???

Team is still actively trying to run AA and Mantha out of town, so jury is out there. That is 3 decent players this team has developed in a decade. I am not counting Larkin since he was NHL ready out of the gate, and they have successfully converted him from a top-line winger into a third line player by again shoehorning him into a role he shouldn't be in.

Going back to 2004, you can add Franzen, Hudler, and Flip to that list. Five top-six quality players, no top-4 D, and one goalie who has gotten worse the longer he is on the team. In 13 years.

At some point it's the system and not the players.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
It sort of comes across like Jurco badly wants to be a different kind of player than he is. I mean, I saw the YouTube highlights just like everybody else, but stick tricks don't mean you're a superstar in waiting. His most marketable talents have always been strength and size, but he's never really made peace with that, IMO. Did Detroit misunderstand Tomas Jurco, or did Jurco misunderstand Detroit? It sure seems like the latter to me. Maybe Tomas Jurco misunderstands Tomas Jurco.

You are right and I see what TZE was trying to say now.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
No points in 6 games with Chicago. Seems like he should be focusing on his own play.

His comments aren't shocking anyone here.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
He's saying this after 6 games? Can't wait to see what he has to say when his "new car smell" wears off and he ends up in Q's doghouse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad