Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
He continues to improve by leaps and bounds. I don’t think 60 points is an unrealistic expectation for next year. Obviously it depends on health and usage but he’s been really good. He’s been our best player on a lot of nights lately. Really impressive.
Yes he’s improving by leaps and bounds. His shot looks much more dangerous. But to be fair to ourselves there’s still room for improvement.

Case in point, he wasted a prime scoring chance on a rush by passing the puck through a D to Matheson who was in the goalie’s face with no angle. Typical NHLers will shoot and either score or create a dangerous rebound, Slaf ALWAYS passes.

I’ve edited some of his pre-NHL videos and watched everything I could find on him pre-NHL. I’ve seen him miss on that exact play so many times it’s crazy. He has 0% video career success rate on that play. Yet keeps trying and trying. Perhaps he thinks by failing enough, it’ll work one day.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes he’s improving by leaps and bounds. His shot looks much more dangerous. But to be fair to ourselves there’s still room for improvement.

Case in point, he wasted a prime scoring chance on a rush by passing the puck through a D to Matheson who was in the goalie’s face with no angle. Typical NHLers will shoot and either score or create a dangerous rebound, Slaf ALWAYS passes.

I’ve edited some of his pre-NHL videos and watched everything I could find on him pre-NHL. I’ve seen him miss on that play so many times, it’s crazy. He has 0% video career success rate on that play. Yet keeps trying and trying. Perhaps he thinks by failing enough, it’ll work one day.
I’m predicting 60 points, not 100. Absolutely he has more to work on.

Reactions: Sagikev and Pomee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm waiting for the blow up, in terms of a 3 goal 2 assist game....where it becomes completely irrefutable.
Some people may not realize it.
Once the consistency is there like we've seen recently out of Suzuki Caufield and Slaf the next step is exactly that.
It's those multi point games that will differentiate the stars from the superstars. Only this will lead to PPG and beyond.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I’ve edited some of his pre-NHL videos and watched everything I could find on him pre-NHL. I’ve seen him miss on that exact play so many times it’s crazy. He has 0% video career success rate on that play. Yet keeps trying and trying. Perhaps he thinks by failing enough, it’ll work one day.
This will come with repetition. He’s either not seeing certain shooting lanes yet or not confident in his ability to get the puck threw which is very common for any young player as they don’t want a bad shot to result in a turnover. 20 games ago he wasn’t shooting in clear shooting positions. He’s progressed a lot in that area. Far from perfect but the more he scores and gets that confidence, the more the puck will start going in. I’m a little surprised just how good his shot is when he uses it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

You mean a 19 year old isn't a finished product?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Even @cave troll has been MIA. Though I've seen him on the prospect board still trying to downplay Slaf. I think recently he said something to the effect that habs are overrating a player on a 30 point pace.

It's one thing to have a strong opinion, it's another thing to be immature and doubling down when reality is contradicting your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
That’s why we need to be careful to assume 60+ points. He has a tendency to fall back on his pattern of being overgenerous with the puck. He did at least twice last game. If he never breaks out of that cycle, he won’t get those extra goals nor the extra assists on rebounds. Dr. Shot needs to drill that math in his head.
That's just confidence. Will come with experience. People forget that Suzuki and Caufield were still in the OHL and NCAA at this age.

Skala24

Apr 16, 2015
Slovakia
Juraj Slafkovsky (4-2—6 in 5 GP) became the fourth teenager with a five-game point streak in Canadiens history, following Doug Wickenheiser (6 GP in 1980-81), Alex Galchenyuk (5 GP in 2012-13) and Stephane Richer (5 GP in 1985-86).

Reactions: Pomee and Sagikev

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Even @cave troll has been MIA. Though I've seen him on the prospect board still trying to downplay Slaf. I think recently he said something to the effect that habs are overrating a player on a 30 point pace.

It's one thing to have a strong opinion, it's another thing to be immature and doubling down when reality is contradicting your opinion.
He can't make the drama here anymore, so he has to do it elsewhere.

Reactions: Sagikev and Redux91

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

The ironic part is that they would always say they would be happy to be wrong and were hoping for Slaf to prove them wrong. So why aren't they here being happy they were wrong?

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You mean a 19 year old isn't a finished product?
He's still working on his play selection and like most kids he will zig when he should zag on occasion.
Heck Caufield still does it and Suzuki to a lesser extent.
I can't see why anyone would doubt the skills though and some still do. :dunno:

Passes like the one he fed Suzuki with on the PP and shots like the three recent goals he scored aren't skills that will suddenly disappear.
His production will increase with better play selection which will happen as the game slows down for him.
We've seen what he can do with time and space on the PP and it can't help but get better 5v5.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
He's still working on his play selection and like most kids he will zig when he should zag on occasion.
Heck Caufield still does it and Suzuki to a lesser extent.
I can't see why anyone would doubt the skills though and some still do. :dunno:

Passes like the one he fed Suzuki with on the PP and shots like the three recent goals he scored aren't skills that will suddenly disappear.
His production will increase with better play selection which will happen as the game slows down for him.
We've seen what he can do with time and space on the PP and it can't help but get better 5v5.

There's been a few threads on the main board that talk about the disappearance of pass-first playmakers. I tend to agree. Other than on PP one-timers. the clean pass and shoot assists like on the Suzuki goal are becoming few and far between. Goalies are too good at moving, anticipating and getting square to the shooter. Many assists are just on rebounds.

Maybe those aesthetic clean assist attempts still worked for Slaf in Midgets, IDK. But unless it's for a gimme goal, I would stay away from them.

Reactions: themilosh

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There's been a few threads on the main board that talk about the disappearance of pass-first playmakers. I tend to agree. Other than on PP one-timers. the clean pass and shoot assists like on the Suzuki goal are becoming few and far between. Goalies are too good at moving, anticipating and getting square to the shooter. Many assists are just on rebounds.

Maybe those aesthetic clean assist attempts still worked for Slaf in Midgets, IDK. But unless it's for a gimme goal, I would stay away from them.
Slaf is not an out and out playmaker that is a misconception fueled by his early penchant for deferring to his Elders. It's very evident that is changing and you would have to be blind not to see it and understand it. That Dach last season and now Slaf this season have engaged "shot doctors" tells the tale.
Every one of our top fprwards are expected to be balanced and even Suzuki is shooting more this season. He will always remain a pass first playmaker and NO Suzuki isn't disappearing. Crosby didn't disappear McDavid didn't disappear need I go on. Main Board you say...

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Juraj Slafkovsky (4-2—6 in 5 GP) became the fourth teenager with a five-game point streak in Canadiens history, following Doug Wickenheiser (6 GP in 1980-81), Alex Galchenyuk (5 GP in 2012-13) and Stephane Richer (5 GP in 1985-86).
Now let's just hope toenails doesn't disrupt anything. Im still so jaded of the MT/MB era that anytime we had a prospect who "required" developing or work-in-progress, I immediately think = middling player.

Finally I see the targeting of specific type of players to fit in with our system.. some will work, others will regress, but now Im hopeful for later round Gems, or prospect swaps. We are finally building our own depth, and it starts at the farm. The strong Laval becomes, the stronger our 3rdF 4thF, 5-6-7thD, 2ndG become. All we have to do is target/trade for a true top 1C when the time comes.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The ironic part is that they would always say they would be happy to be wrong and were hoping for Slaf to prove them wrong. So why aren't they here being happy they were wrong?
A million times this lmao

Everytime I read that from one of the Super Slaf Haters (t shirts on sale)
I wanted to throw my phone against the wall I was so disgusted with their shit lol

It's not that hard distinguishing rational skeptics from narcissistic haters
And those guys wellllll..
55dAkZ.gif

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
A million times this lmao

Everytime I read that from one of the Super Slaf Haters (t shirts on sale)
I wanted to throw my phone against the wall I was so disgusted with their shit lol

It's not that hard distinguishing rational skeptics from narcissistic haters
And those guys wellllll..
55dAkZ.gif

the shirts aren't up for sale we only send them to a select few, this is misinformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00