Injury Report: Jumbo, Pavs...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To expand on what I said previously... As someone who's had almost the exact same injury as well as had a major invasive knee operation, I can guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is healthier now, 3 months post op, than he was last playoff only 2 weeks post injury. After my major operation I was playing again by the 3 1/2 month mark. He has a far better rehab schedule and support system than I did so he has to be close to being ready to play if he isn't already. Getting back up to game speed is another thing entirely and getting back the trust in his legs stability and durability is again another thing to overcome.

There's too many assumptions for this though. The assumption that the degree of injury is the same. The assumption that there wasn't a setback in the rehabilitation process. The assumption that being able to play again for you is the same as being able to play for an NHL'er.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
are you a professional hockey player?
Nope, but I've been playing for more than 3 decades. Played with and against plenty of ex-pros, even some ex-NHLers. Don't know how that matters though when it comes to a knee injury. But yeah, I have the requisite experience of the knee injuries and working to get back to skating and playing the sport of hockey.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
There's too many assumptions for this though. The assumption that the degree of injury is the same. The assumption that there wasn't a setback in the rehabilitation process. The assumption that being able to play again for you is the same as being able to play for an NHL'er.

No there isn't too many assumptions. I'm not assuming, I'm basing it on my actual experience. But it's possible he could have had a set back. But I seriously doubt it. He's not doing bag skates if there was a set back. A set back almost always means time off the ice but from reports he's taking part in full practices now as well as bag skating. At 3 months post op, that sounds correct for the rehab schedule. If they did an invasive procedure and actually replaced or had to fully reattach a ligament then I could see him being done until next year but since he only had an arthroscopy I doubt they did that and I doubt the injury was as severe as last season. NFL guys regularly miss only 2 weeks when having their knees scoped for simple meniscus repair. I played games at the 14 day mark after 2 of my scopes when I was in my 20s but I worked pretty hard multiple times a day to do that. Jumbo's likely been recovered from the actual incisions to his knee and synovial sac for a long time now. It's just the healing of the ligament that's kept him out until now.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You did not say "healthy enough to play" in your response to me. It's literally quoted above. Not unless you went back and edited it... But regardless, there are very different levels of "healthy enough to play". Healthy enough last year isn't going to cut it this year when factoring in that the team is this deep and undefeated. Old and slow is now recovering and likely slower, and the team probably feels like they have a legit shot if they get him back as close to 100% as possible. Problem is they need to get him as healthy and strong as possible before he enters the every other day grind of the playoffs. There is no recovery possible once he starts putting that pounding on his body. They don't need "healthy enough to play", they need Jumbo contributing as close as possible to the level he had been prior to injury in Jan. Who knows, maybe they turn around and throw him out there Thursday just to screw with the Knights. But my money is on him playing after either the first loss, another player is injured, or someone plays so bad that PDB yanks them. Lebanc would be my bet for that.

I literally said “healthy enough to play” in the post you responded to. I obviously didn’t edit it because HF would show if I did.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I literally said “healthy enough to play” in the post you responded to. I obviously didn’t edit it because HF would show if I did.
Ah, I see, you simply said "healthy" in the first few references then added "enough to play" at the end of your post. Your first sentence was what prompted my response. You should have led with that. Still, it's your premise that I disagree with as well as your straw man argument about "chemistry" that I never brought up.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Ah, I see, you simply said "healthy" in the first few references then added "enough to play" at the end of your post. Your first sentence was what prompted my response. You should have led with that. Still, it's your premise that I disagree with as well as your straw man argument about "chemistry" that I never brought up.

Maybe you should read my whole post before responding to it and then accusing me of shit...

Your original post said “no coach changes a lineup when they’re winning” or something to that effect. “Chemistry” was not a stretch; if a coach refuses to change a lineup until they lose/have an injury and it’s not because of chemistry, what is it because of?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No there isn't too many assumptions. I'm not assuming, I'm basing it on my actual experience. But it's possible he could have had a set back. But I seriously doubt it. He's not doing bag skates if there was a set back. A set back almost always means time off the ice but from reports he's taking part in full practices now as well as bag skating. At 3 months post op, that sounds correct for the rehab schedule. If they did an invasive procedure and actually replaced or had to fully reattach a ligament then I could see him being done until next year but since he only had an arthroscopy I doubt they did that and I doubt the injury was as severe as last season. NFL guys regularly miss only 2 weeks when having their knees scoped for simple meniscus repair. I played games at the 14 day mark after 2 of my scopes when I was in my 20s but I worked pretty hard multiple times a day to do that. Jumbo's likely been recovered from the actual incisions to his knee and synovial sac for a long time now. It's just the healing of the ligament that's kept him out until now.

But you're assuming your experience is directly relateable to Thornton's and that simply isn't the case.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I didn't read the entire athletic article since I don't have access, but the preview related being hunched over to Thornton still being in pain. With the fact that he's been bag-skating, hunched over sounds more like a conditioning thing, which is understandable considering how many months he's missed.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're just taking it slow, not because of any pain or injury, but just to get him back to game-speed, especially considering how different the playoffs are from the regular season.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

MasterShake

Sep 16, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
I approve of the obscuration. The game theory checks out, right? Best to hold all cards close until the series opens up.

A strong re-entrance at the right moment is super valuable.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe you should read my whole post before responding to it and then accusing me of ****...

Your original post said “no coach changes a lineup when they’re winning” or something to that effect. “Chemistry” was not a stretch; if a coach refuses to change a lineup until they lose/have an injury and it’s not because of chemistry, what is it because of?
Style of play, momentum, simple superstition, maybe the fact that "healthy enough to play" is so broad a term that putting him in at less than 100% could be detrimental in a game where mistakes must be minimized... there are many reasons. Another reason is that pulling a young player when the team is undefeated could mess with their confidence where a vet could sit a couple of games and typically not have it affect them. And I already detailed why the "healthy enough to play" is no better than simply "healthy". So it doesn't really matter at this point. But whatever, feel free to believe what you want.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
But you're assuming your experience is directly relateable to Thornton's and that simply isn't the case.
Now you're just being stubborn. Of course it is. Do you think he and I have different knee anatomy? I'm betting his MCL and mine are located in the same place in our knees. Knee injuries and surgeries are something I unfortunately have a ton of knowledge and experience in. I'm trying to provide some insight but I know you need to "win" or be "right" which I'm very used to from reading this board for so many years. More times than not I agree with you. Anyway, believe what you want, good luck with that. :\

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Now you're just being stubborn. Of course it is. Do you think he and I have different knee anatomy? I'm betting his MCL and mine are located in the same place in our knees. Knee injuries and surgeries are something I unfortunately have a ton of knowledge and experience in. I'm trying to provide some insight but I know you need to "win" or be "right" which I'm very used to from reading this board for so many years. More times than not I agree with you. Anyway, believe what you want, good luck with that. :\

While the injury may have been similar I think what he's arguing is the circumstances around it. While Thornton's still a pro athlete he's 38 coming off his second major knee injury, and he's not jumping back into a rec league, it's the top league in the world, so there definitely differences, between your experiences and Thornton's. It's like me telling a professional bodybuilder his shoulder should be fine in 3 months because I had a shoulder injury and was back in the gym in 2.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Just because you both have knee ligaments doesn't mean that you tear the same nor rehab the same so stop pretending it's exactly the same when you know damn well it isn't. And when you throw that line of need to win or be right, you're being a hypocrite because that's a line someone throws when they feel the need to win or be right but they can't actually do so on the substance of the topic.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think I said "exactly" but I don't have the time to go thru and check... Torn knee ligament is for all intents and purposes a torn knee ligament. Difference it whether it needs surgery or not. My experience with the same, similar etc, whatever, injury along with my 5 different surgeries informs my commentary here. Unless you're an orthopedic surgeon I doubt you've experienced what I have. If there was any subject that I can talk about from it's "substance", it's knee injuries and the recovery from them. Like I said, at this point you just can't take someone else knowing more about a subject. Good luck with that thinking. Nice hail mary with the hypocritical comment though. o_O Just stay down. :help:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think I said "exactly" but I don't have the time to go thru and check... Torn knee ligament is for all intents and purposes a torn knee ligament. Difference it whether it needs surgery or not. My experience with the same, similar etc, whatever, injury along with my 5 different surgeries informs my commentary here. Unless you're an orthopedic surgeon I doubt you've experienced what I have. If there was any subject that I can talk about from it's "substance", it's knee injuries and the recovery from them. Like I said, at this point you just can't take someone else knowing more about a subject. Good luck with that thinking. Nice hail mary with the hypocritical comment though. o_O Just stay down. :help:

Exactly and directly related are pretty much the same thing in this context so don't try to play the semantics card. And no, torn knee ligaments are not for all intents and purposes torn knee ligaments. They have different degrees to separate the damage done and the probable recovery times. Just because you have informed commentary on your own experiences doesn't mean they apply to everyone else. They don't.

And it wasn't a hail mary. It was completely accurate. You're just caught in the mindset that your experience with things means it's the same as everyone else's. You just use your own personal anecdotal experience when there is literally no actual knowledge of the subject being used by you on this topic.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
where the hell is the GDT?

upload_2018-4-26_12-8-50.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad