Injury Report: Jumbo, Pavs...

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
That’s my point, he played on a torn acl last season, yet can’t play on a knee they did arthroscopic surgery on over two months ago. The injury/procedure usually keeps nfl players out a few weeks. They either fed us bull**** or Thornton doesn’t want to risk it. There’s no in between.

My understanding is that the surgery was most likely exploratory and not corrective.

I also think you are completely correct that Thornton doesn't want to risk it. Last year there was really nothing he could do to make it worse. This time, it seems like he is trying to avoid further damage and waiting till it is healed and back close to normal strength levels.

I also believe last night's starting line up hints that Jumbo is very close, in addition to PDB's day to day comments. I expect to see Jumbo lining up between Meier and Labanc next game... hopefully

Reactions: treefiddy

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
Wewease the secwet weapon!

If Jumbo is anywhere close to ready I don’t think they’ll f*** around. Game 4 at home down 2-1 in this series is THE time to roll him and get the emotional injection to even this up. For all of you suggesting his lack of speed makes no sense to re-insert him vs Vegas give your heads a shake. This is Joe Thornton, and speed or no speed it’s a no brainer to re-insert him AS SOON as possible.

Reactions: Phu and Bizz

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Well then he better play next game, if we lose game 4 I don't see us clawing back with or without Thornton.
Theres always next year ehh. Very surprised at how well the Sharks have been able to extend this teams competitive lifespan. Probably Jumbos last year next year unless everything goes perfect for him.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Theres always next year ehh. Very surprised at how well the Sharks have been able to extend this teams competitive lifespan. Probably Jumbos last year next year unless everything goes perfect for him.

Thornton has a good distance more to go in his decline before he is no longer a good enough player in the nhl.

He is still good enough at 38 to be a 1st line center. And 2nd line center on a contender where he doesn't have to be the player that puts a team on his back for 82 regular season games and 28 playoff games.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Or a third line player when we sign Tavares.

Couture-Tavares-Labanc
Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi
Hertl-Thornton-Meier
Goodrow-Tierney-Sorensen
Grambrell

Vlasic-Braun
Ryan-Burns
Dillon-Heed/Demelo
Demelo/Heed

Jones
Dell

B2B Cups!

Reactions: 209

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Thornton has a good distance more to go in his decline before he is no longer a good enough player in the nhl.

He is still good enough at 38 to be a 1st line center. And 2nd line center on a contender where he doesn't have to be the player that puts a team on his back for 82 regular season games and 28 playoff games.

Jumbo has had 2 major injuries in 2 years, fluke or not. One more of those and he's probably done. Not a skill issue

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Couture-Tavares-Labanc
Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi
Hertl-Thornton-Meier
Goodrow-Tierney-Sorensen
Grambrell

Vlasic-Braun
Ryan-Burns
Dillon-Heed/Demelo
Demelo/Heed

Jones
Dell

B2B Cups!

Boedker trade and Martin buyout?

polmaniac932

Mar 25, 2006
San Jose
www.youtube.com

Couture-Tavares-Labanc
Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi
Hertl-Thornton-Meier
Goodrow-Tierney-Sorensen
Grambrell

Vlasic-Braun
Ryan-Burns
Dillon-Heed/Demelo
Demelo/Heed

Jones
Dell

B2B Cups!

I'm not sure how much of this is in jest, but that lineup looks as good as any the Sharks have ever put together, especially in terms of depth. We'd have the best bottom-6 in the league, hands down. The only issue in adding Tavares and taking out Boedker would be the considerable hit in speed.

68 Z-28

Jul 10, 2007
Under the Tank

Couture-Tavares-Labanc
Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi
Hertl-Thornton-Meier
Goodrow-Tierney-Sorensen
Grambrell

Vlasic-Braun
Ryan-Burns
Dillon-Heed/Demelo
Demelo/Heed

Jones
Dell

B2B Cups!

That’s great and all but you forgot Deboers other favorite child, Karlsson.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: What follows for Leafs after Dubas promotion? - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman on Jumbo's future
2. One year ago, Joe Thornton was tempted by the Kings, Maple Leafs and Rangers, but returned to San Jose. There’s no question he loves being a Shark and wants to win there. Coming off a very serious knee injury, there was a comfort factor. He knew the doctors and they knew him. The organization understood his body and his situation. Thornton realized that a new team might not be able to handle it as well without that familiarity. (I’m told the teams pursuing him appreciated that, too.) One year later, we’re in the same position, except with the other knee. The man can still play, and it’s no surprise under these circumstances that his preference is to stay.

Hmmmm

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Joe Thornton just wanted to be hit on. He let a few teams fly him out and buy him dinner. He never intended on leaving.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Joe Thornton just wanted to be hit on. He let a few teams fly him out and buy him dinner. He never intended on leaving.

I don’t even think he ever even got on a plane. I’m pretty sure he was just waiting for Marleau to sign, because he offered that $1.25M discount if Marleau returned.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
31 Thoughts: What follows for Leafs after Dubas promotion? - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman on Jumbo's future

...Thornton realized that a new team might not be able to handle it as well without that familiarity.

Hmmmm

That's just a diplomatic way of saying Thornton would be unlikely to pass another team's physical. Same situation now, and probably more so difficult. I say he either retires, comes back as a Shark, or spends another season looking to play somewhere.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's just a diplomatic way of saying Thornton would be unlikely to pass another team's physical. Same situation now, and probably more so difficult. I say he either retires, comes back as a Shark, or spends another season looking to play somewhere.

lol the physical is not some factor that would prevent him from going anywhere. Every team that was interested in him would bypass the physical even if he failed.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Couture-Tavares-Labanc
Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi
Hertl-Thornton-Meier
Goodrow-Tierney-Sorensen
Grambrell

Vlasic-Braun
Ryan-Burns
Dillon-Heed/Demelo
Demelo/Heed

Jones
Dell

B2B Cups!

Why is Labanc on the top line? How has he earned that spot in any way? Do you really think he can hang against other teams absolute best players who come out to stop Cooch/Tavares?

Why is our current 1st/2nd best forward on the Third line?

That 2nd line might have played well for a stretch this year, but do you really think Pavs at center for 82 games is really the best use of him? Do you really think he keeps up the energy needed to play the type of hockey they were at the end of the year, for 82 games? Those wingers play with speed, Pavs has to keep up, I highly doubt he can do that anywhere near a full season and into the playoffs. I would argue he wasn't able to for less than half a season this year+playoffs.

Not just you, but lots of people seem to want to "balance" the lines. I have zero idea why. Outside of Pitt, who only had Kessel on the 3rd line, because he wasn't clicking anywhere else until then, what Cup winning team has had a clear 1st/2nd line player on the their 3rd/4th line purposefully to "balance" their lineup?
Even the Sharks in their best years, had those best years because they stacked their lineups top heavy. Their problem was that after those top lines, they had total crap for depth.

IF we managed to get all of Kane,Thornton,and Tavares next year. We should stack our Top 6 with any combo of: Tavares,Kane,Cooch,Hertl,Thornton and Pavs.

That leaves the absolutely enviable choice of filling our bottom 6 with some mix of: Donskoi,Meier,Labanc,Tierney, Sorensen. Then filling the final spot with any number of players like Goodrow, Gambrell, or any prospect that earns their spot on the team over the offseason, or throughout the year. That is atleast 3 clear as day top 6 forwards in our bottom 6 already. That is depth in my book, without trying to overthink the lineup.

Not only do we have the potential for a unstoppable top 6, but also amazing skill/depth in the bottom 6.

In fact we have too much depth, where really we should ship out atleast 1 wing for a prospect, or upgrade on D.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Why is Labanc on the top line? How has he earned that spot in any way? Do you really think he can hang against other teams absolute best players who come out to stop Cooch/Tavares?

Why is our current 1st/2nd best forward on the Third line?

That 2nd line might have played well for a stretch this year, but do you really think Pavs at center for 82 games is really the best use of him? Do you really think he keeps up the energy needed to play the type of hockey they were at the end of the year, for 82 games? Those wingers play with speed, Pavs has to keep up, I highly doubt he can do that anywhere near a full season and into the playoffs. I would argue he wasn't able to for less than half a season this year+playoffs.

Not just you, but lots of people seem to want to "balance" the lines. I have zero idea why. Outside of Pitt, who only had Kessel on the 3rd line, because he wasn't clicking anywhere else until then, what Cup winning team has had a clear 1st/2nd line player on the their 3rd/4th line purposefully to "balance" their lineup?
Even the Sharks in their best years, had those best years because they stacked their lineups top heavy. Their problem was that after those top lines, they had total crap for depth.

IF we managed to get all of Kane,Thornton,and Tavares next year. We should stack our Top 6 with any combo of: Tavares,Kane,Cooch,Hertl,Thornton and Pavs.

That leaves the absolutely enviable choice of filling our bottom 6 with some mix of: Donskoi,Meier,Labanc,Tierney, Sorensen. Then filling the final spot with any number of players like Goodrow, Gambrell, or any prospect that earns their spot on the team over the offseason, or throughout the year. That is atleast 3 clear as day top 6 forwards in our bottom 6 already. That is depth in my book, without trying to overthink the lineup.

Not only do we have the potential for a unstoppable top 6, but also amazing skill/depth in the bottom 6.

In fact we have too much depth, where really we should ship out atleast 1 wing for a prospect, or upgrade on D.

Relax bro, he was probably not thinking that hard about the lines.

LaBanc on the first line is not a bad idea though. He has shown flashes of the offensive talent needed to produce at that level. Tavares is a goal scorer who could use a playmaker and LaBanc deserves the chance to prove himself as that.

They probably would need a better possession LW than Couture though.

If we did get Tavares, and brought back Kane, I would do this for the top-9

Meier-Tavares-LaBanc
Hertl-Couture-Donskoi
Kane-Thornton-Pavelski

Playing with Tavares on an offensively oriented 1st line with Couture-Hertl facing top competition could really help accelerate the development of Meier and LaBanc.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Frankly, I willing to see what Leblanc can do in the offseason before writing him off. I mean, if it’s this clear to us what he needs to do, I’m sure the org has given him even better guidance. The good news is that the things Leblanc needs to improve (lower body strength, defense, etc) are the things that can be worked on. The offensive awareness, shot, and vision are all there.

IMO the sharks would be short sided to give him away before giving him the opportunity to make those improvements.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Relax bro, he was probably not thinking that hard about the lines.

LaBanc on the first line is not a bad idea though. He has shown flashes of the offensive talent needed to produce at that level. Tavares is a goal scorer who could use a playmaker and LaBanc deserves the chance to prove himself as that.

They probably would need a better possession LW than Couture though.

If we did get Tavares, and brought back Kane, I would do this for the top-9

Meier-Tavares-LaBanc
Hertl-Couture-Donskoi
Kane-Thornton-Pavelski

Playing with Tavares on an offensively oriented 1st line with Couture-Hertl facing top competition could really help accelerate the development of Meier and LaBanc.

How was I in any way not relaxed? Didn't realize asking questions was so wild and crazy.....

This is not the first he/she has posted these lines. So I imagine they are not just some quickly smashed together lines, but represent the gist of what the poster wants them to look like.

Labanc on the top line, to me, is a horrible idea. Unless he drastically changes his physical ability in the offseason, he is currently too weak to be up against top lines, and shutdown D pairs. Also he is not defensively responsible enough for that comp either.

He deserves a chance? He had every chance this year to take the bull by the horns, and he didn't. First unit PP time, and a TON of top 6 forwards hurt throughout the year. Well the PP time went horribly, and despite injuries, he never beat anyone out in the top 6, and barely plays if a game is close because Deboer doesn't/can't trust him.

You clearly have the same viewpoint as the other poster, spreading talent all over the place. So WHY?

Based on what are you making this choice? Some make believe idea that we can be like Pitt, who didn't even purposefully chose to have a stud 3rd line, it just happened by happy accident? What other successful, cup winning teams have ever even done this?

Why even get superstar forwards, if you just weigh them down every time with borderline first/second line players, especially when you don't need to?

Why not go a step further. We have 4 great centers based on these lineups, so why not go Tavares, Hertl, Cooch,Thornton down the middle. Thornton will absolutely FEAST on 4th liners no? Cooch also, on 3rd liners. Thats the idea right? Create mismatches? Help younger players develop by placing them with the older, better players?

Nope don't buy it.

Ooops I asked too many questions, lemme chill back out.....

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I agree. He's no Thornton but he did a great job when he was needed.

Right, exactly. It just bothers me to see people saying “Labanc’s production is less valuable than Meier/Donskoi/Tierney/whoever because the majority of it was on the PP” and then turn around and say “Labanc sucks on the PP”. Labanc had like four less points and Couture and six less than Pavelski on the PP despite playing fewer games and only getting on the first PP unit in like, January. He doesn’t suck on the PP.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Right, exactly. It just bothers me to see people saying “Labanc’s production is less valuable than Meier/Donskoi/Tierney/whoever because the majority of it was on the PP” and then turn around and say “Labanc sucks on the PP”. Labanc had like four less points and Couture and six less than Pavelski on the PP despite playing fewer games and only getting on the first PP unit in like, January. He doesn’t suck on the PP.

HVdI7mN.png

h6SURQh.png

Second only to Jumbo in points/60 on the PP and first in primary points/60.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad