Speculation: Jumbo Joe on the way?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Because they play the same position, C. And neither can handle a 3rd line role for a full season.

Right, and neither can play the wing, sub in on the PP, or even step up in the lineup if injuries occur? Maybe win a face off or two?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
We need more guys who have winning experience. Who have some idea of a what a Cup winning team looks and plays like.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Right, and neither can play the wing, sub in on the PP, or even step up in the lineup if injuries occur? Maybe win a face off or two?

Sure they could. Which is why I'm happy with one of them. Just not both.

The roster spot is better used on someone who brings something we lack, rather than more of what we have.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Hes slow, very slow. If we are planning to make some trades that'll weaken our forward depth and strengthen our D then I'd be for it as he could play LW and Centre.

If your trading 3 of Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson or Kerfoot then your going to need some replacements. Roberston is likely 1/3.

And even though hes slow he still checks off some of our needs. He's got size, defensively reponsible compared to our forwards, and unquestionably a leader despite not winning a cup.

It does seem very Pat Quinn/Jfj era to bring in old guys though tbh. But to fix our D we are gonna have to fill holes in our forward core aswell.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Of course I'm bout that. :heart: He would bring the element were missing, humour and looseness, while still he's yelling and talkin a whole lot during games. Always has something bad to say, or good. He also fights at times, couple times during the season. In the playoffs he would do everythang he can to win, cause these is he's last dinosaur playoffs y'all heard me. We should also get other thugs, faster and even bigger fools. Like Reaves, Wilson, Tom etc. Others as well, cheaper dorks. Thornton would not be enough, some D, thugs and Joe, and thats' that.

I can assure as a lifelong sharks follower, Joe would CHANGE the energy and atmosphere in the locker room and on the ice, also in the sauna and at the store. Everywhere is where I mean. He is a huge character. And can lead also in so many ways. He don't take dirt from nobody. So that's fun.

But yeah, in return we would give up on spezza and like kapanen and johnsson. Then bring in the lord in Joe, and a couple of real THUGS. Some total jerk offs. Reaves, Avery, Wilson, Perry, Getzlauf, Rinaldo, Tucker. Tyson. Something like that. So in return, we should give up on a couple of soft dorks. Who don't help us in no ways at all. Get our thug on and get our passer of all time on. Gretzky type of action in Joe. Our second PP would be aaaaight and tight. Our atmosphere would change that I can assure y'all.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Hes slow, very slow. If we are planning to make some trades that'll weaken our forward depth and strengthen our D then I'd be for it as he could play LW and Centre.

If your trading 3 of Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson or Kerfoot then your going to ned some replacements. And even though hes slow he still checks off some of our needs. He's got size, defensively reponsible compared to our forwards, and unquestionably a leader despite not winning a cup.
Very good points and french lines there sire. You know ice hockey. He brings so many thangs, but we would need a couple of roaddawgs with the Joe. Not only Joe, but a couple of REAL THUGS with him. Then the atmosphere would be domiesque and tuckerisque. That's what toronto is about. It's not about that nerdy dubas character. What a dork for the game. Changing thangs up.......... like woah. We might have an interesting future during these 10 next years if we keep softening this mellow thang up. Pillowing it up sire. I'm laughing out loud. Won't even say anymore what I have in mind now.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Thornton might just be the type of leader and experienced veteran this team needs. Spezza is great; but Thornton may be able to help the young players bridge the gap and win. Can't hurt. Anyone see the quote from Elliot?
Here's the quote I read: If Thornton is not sold on the Sharks, and he’s willing to seek out new life (boldly go where no one has gone before), my prediction is Toronto will be a factor. I can’t confirm this, but I believe the Maple Leafs considered adding him now.

Elliotte Friedman on future Leaf Joe Thornton and more

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Here's the quote I read: If Thornton is not sold on the Sharks, and he’s willing to seek out new life (boldly go where no one has gone before), my prediction is Toronto will be a factor. I can’t confirm this, but I believe the Maple Leafs considered adding him now.

Elliotte Friedman on future Leaf Joe Thornton and more

I was referring to the quote in the article on the first post "As per Elliotte Freidman, we can expect Joe Thornton to sign a $ 1 milion to $2 million deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs".

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
90% of the board right now: We need warriors! Guys who battle, who have experience and can show our core what it takes.

This thread: pfft, I don't want that washed up has been

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I was referring to the quote in the article on the first post "As per Elliotte Freidman, we can expect Joe Thornton to sign a $ 1 milion to $2 million deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs".
I *think* they're playing loose with the article I quoted and using the reference to Spezza and Thornton coming on a similar but higher deal

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Whats with Toronto and these old washed up stars? Get outta here man. I dont care about all his awards, history and bells/whistles. He wont make the team essentially better or competitive.

That's not true. He would be an upgrade in the bottom six, even at his age.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
In the article: "..according to Elliotte Friedman.."

Where? It's not on his twitter or reported anywhere else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad