Confirmed with Link: July 1st - Free Agent Extravaganza Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
No you don't. The team we have for day 1 of the season won't be the same team we have at the trade deadline. It's a lot easier to add salary at the deadline.

We are much better off going with Miller to see what he can do. He won't be the difference between us making the playoffs and not making the playoffs. See what he can do and if he doesn't cut it, then we make a move when the cap hits won't matter as much.

Not every problem needs to be solved today. Some of the problems we have today may not end up being problems at all. Everyone said we had to sign a 3rd line center rather than give the job to Dubinsky. By the end of the year, Dubi was centering Jagr.

We're a team trying to win the cup. If Miller flops, we have a ****** bottom six. If we sign Grabo and Miller can play, we have a VERY good third line of Miller-Grabo-MZA.

Too many holes in the offense to hope Miller is ready for legitimate NHL duty.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Well the knock on him, according to Puck Daddy, was that he was late to practices and missed busses all the time and even got into a screaming match with the coach.

However, I have had an experience with him in my personal life that I always tried to throw out as general immaturity, but it seems that he never got over it. I hate the way he is on the ice with the continual diving and super-pest behavior, but he is/was a very skilled player and I tried not to let that experience manifest itself when talking about him. No, it wasn't anything illegal or substance-abuse related, but that's all I care to say about it.

He didn't pull a Claude Giroux on you, did he? This stuff has to stop:shakehead

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We're a team trying to win the cup. If Miller flops, we have a ****** bottom six. If we sign Grabo and Miller can play, we have a VERY good third line of Miller-Grabo-MZA.

Too many holes in the offense to hope Miller is ready for legitimate NHL duty.

But you're willing to create another hole by trading Klein to fit Grabo. Who takes Klein's spot? McIlrath? Allen? If Miller flops, we can trade for a 3rd line center.

Trainmman

May 29, 2014
Jersey
Yahoo Sports NHL@YahooSportsNHL
Sharks sign enforcer John Scott to 1-year $700,000 deal, per @KKurzCSN

Missed our chance to get a premiere 4th liner... oh wait

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday · 39s
#Isles have signed F Nikolai Kulemin and C Mikhail Grabovski to 4-year contracts.

Isles forward group is looking nice.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Okay, wouldn't have wanted Grabovski for four years at $5M.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 1m Kulemin gets $16.75 million over 4 years, Grabovski gets $20 million over 4 years from #Isles.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
*sigh* there goes grabo. good signing for the isles.

Whats with the sigh? He was never signing here anyway given the cap situation. The Islanders are trying to reach the floor. And I really have no interest in giving 4 year deals to a C that isn't even that good just because he fills a need right now.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
4 per 5 is too much, but that's a good signing for a team with the space like the Isles.

If they ever get a defense, they'll be real good.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'd take a flyer on Booth to replace Pou. He's got good wheels, is probably looking to work hard and save his career, and won't demand much money.

Nobody else out there really interests me.

Wamsutta

I'm Glen Sather IRL
Nov 8, 2011
Connecticut
Is there anyone left to fill the holes because oh boy am I ever mega disinterested in the current 14/15 roster.

What a garbage offseason.

Thesensation19*

I wanted

1) Richards Buy Out - Check

2) Re-sign our RFA - We are in the mix of that and I have hope we will get them for what we want. Check.

3) Resign Boyle, Stralman, Moore, Pouliet - Not nec. in that order but I wanted these guys back for chemistry. I knew due to certain aspects of negotiations it was unlikely all of them came back. Stralman mostly. Boyle I think we can replace with someone better. But with the signing of Glass, I am not sure what happened here... Bringin in D. Moore I think was an underrated resigning. Love it. And let BP go. I think he will find himself on the trade market next year but you never know... in how many years was he on... how many teams? I mean, he found chemistry and now that is gone. Well see which BP plays for the Oilers, though I do like there moves.

With Boyle gone - I wanted someone other than Glass replacing him. As a Ranger, Boyle was one guy who improved his skating every single off-season. He became a real strong two way player and it is my understanding that Tanner Glass has one of the worst Corsi, puck possession, stats. Great... he is bigger and tougher so I do like that mix up. Boyle was overvalued as a power forward. He was a 6'4 230lb player who played like he was 6'0 190lb. Its tough to say how I would replace him now but I guess NYR hope that Glass can do that. Ehhh I am worried.

With Stralman gone - I was hoping we go after Fayne. Fayne got 4 years, 3.5m per. We signed instead Dan Boyle. A great puck moving D-man who is slowly getting worse in both aspects of hockey every year... I am worried here. But he does still have good value. And he took less money to come to us. I have to respect that. Its not that I think he will suck. I think he will be just fine and be a great PP guy and help us in many ways but I would have rather had Fayne who is cheaper/younger and I think a better fit at that 4th defender. More of a sit back kind of guy, no? Strong big body. Played with the organized Devils system I respect. Not selfish. No, he doesnt have the puck moving ability but I think we get that enough with a young Moore/Diaz... and Staal and McDonagh. Boyle will easily be the best there right away but I would have rather had Fayne. Now what? Nothing. We resign Diaz and Moore and call it a day with our defense.

With Pouliet gone - I am not entirely shocked or sad. He was an overvalued player who had great chemistry with Zuccs and Brass. Why? Well, he was a big body on a small line that loved to forecheck and grind and puck hold. He was creative and a solid smart two way player. However, he also had many issues and yelled a lot at him all year. Especially when you recall how many dumb penalties he had. So how do we replace him? Well maybe Fast can... Idk. But I would look at Radim Vrbata and Dany Heatly. Both have a history of offense, both can play a grind out style. But do they consistently do it and how much would they be looking for. Dany Heatly is an eh but I would research more if it were my job. Vrbata I like more but is he a 2 way guy?

Maybe its best to let the FA go for this one and rely on our young offense come up. Kristo, Fast, Lindberg, Miller... who knows.

We resigned Moore and good. He was asking for a lot less than I thought he deserved. I watched him in the playoffs heavily. He was a warrior. A guy who played 2nd line and 3rd and 4th. He was a shadow on other teams best players. I find that rare... I guess NHL GMs dont. Whatever. We got him back and I love it.

4) Get rid of Dorsett -
I didnt see it coming but it did. I respect his hard work. I liked how he stepped up to become at least NOT unreliable or a weak link in our playoff run. I liked that he hustled and tried. AV liked it too. However, he is not that good of a player. I am sorry. Can he be valuable elsewhere... sure. With us, he didnt show me. If it were me, Carcillo plays game 4 and not Dorsett. Game 5 too. Dorsett we brought in to replace Prust. No where near the replacement. He was very weak offensively. He can skate and was quick but he was out of position a lot. He would hit everything, which often left our defense to hang dry. He looked lost with the puck and provided limited offense and also too many DUMB penalties.

Carcillo came in and he was an instant catalyst. He was just as fast as Dorsett but smarter in all areas of the game especially his role as a grinder. No dumb penalties. The suspension even proved to be too much and NHL revised it. There in talks to resign and I like it.

It baffles me how the Isles gave up a 3rd rounder for Dan Boyle... only to lose him to FA. Only for us to resign him for cheap. And for us to then get a 3rd round pick by trading our worst player, Dorsett.

5) Find a #1 Center.
(A) Stastny - no need to get rid of our youth. Just bring in a solid and young proven #1 center. Two way player. A guy who can take over our #1 and put Steps as #2 and Leave BRass at #3. I guess we didnt even try and he went to his rival team. Gotta suck to be Colorado. Maybe its for best. I think hes over valued. A bit

(B) Thornton - Something tells me Sather still has a trick up his sleeve to get him without getting rid of many guys. However, its tough and theres not much reason for him to leave SJ. However hes a real #1 center. With 6.5 for 3 years, I like that deal much better than Boyle at 2 years and 5 million. The ying to Nash's yang. The idea of adding center depth like this makes me drool... And Kreider/Nash/Thornton... WOW.

Can this work?
Dany Kristo, 1st round pick 2015 lol
Maybe not

(C) Spezza - Too much for him. Glad we didnt get him

(D) ROR - Idk... why not trade like Nash for ROR. Get rid of a overpriced guy. I like Nashs overall game but hes no #1 winger and 7.8m player. So why not get ROR and then resign him for what he wants. 5 years, 6 million per. Hes 22 years old, can play top 6 or bottom 6. Can do PK. No PIM. Hes an energetic player and not a floater like Nash.

Idk...

I guess well hope Stepan doesnt come into the season cold like every year.
Brass can play with more minutes
And JT miller can do 3rd line normal time.
idk... Im not too confident.

Our first line sucks. Even if Nash steps up... by how much? 20 points. So hes a 60 point player. OOOOOOOO hardly 7.8 worth. And 20 points is a huge step up I dont foresee. Can Stepan be a real #1... maybe but every year he comes in looking out of shape. Kreider will be better but he still has maturing to do. Idk, not impressed.

And then if Zuccs and Brass go to #2... Whats up with #3? JT Miller, Hagelin? Maybe MSL plays at #2.
I just feel like we ruined our depth too.

It might have to be:

Nash - Stepan - MSL? I can see it working
Zuccs- Brass - Kreider? I can see that working
Hags - Miller/Mueller - Fast ---- Ahhhhhhhhh
Glass - Moore - Carcillo/Mueller ---- Uhhhh

Things I like that we did but didnt expect.
Revamp our entire AHL squad. Signing depth and scoring and guys like Bourque. Awesome. I like it. Growth and development and taxi players.

Sign a ton of d-men...
I undervalued it. But I am glad we did this. Last year we didnt have enough and now well be more confident for injuries and what not

Also, before I go...
I love our draft.
We picked wisely.
And we went after 2 goalies. Il ike

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
(B) Thornton - Something tells me Sather still has a trick up his sleeve to get him without getting rid of many guys. However, its tough and theres not much reason for him to leave SJ. However hes a real #1 center. With 6.5 for 3 years, I like that deal much better than Boyle at 2 years and 5 million. The ying to Nash's yang. The idea of adding center depth like this makes me drool... And Kreider/Nash/Thornton... WOW.

Can this work?
Dany Kristo, 1st round pick 2015

Tampa probably wouldn't appreciate the Rangers dealing the 2015 pick that they own. But I'd give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad