Value of: JT Miller to the Leafs

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't understand why the Canucks and Wild don't do a Dumba for Miller trade.

Only because he isn't (or wasn't until Aquilini's assured, perceived "slight" from his comments re: team safety) meant to be available.

I'd love Dumba on this team, but we still need Miller on this team.

Reactions: Szechwan

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
“The canucks are so much better than the leafs if you exclude the past and only focus on that one time the Canucks won a meaningless playoff round”

If you want to include the past, the Leafs have 13 Stanley cup, the Canucks have ZERO.

If you don’t want to include the past, the Leafs are currently one of the best teams in the NHL, and the Canucks are going back to the lottery with one of the worst GMs in the NHL.

Please pick on a team that is more suited to your team’s skill level. I hear Buffalo is an easy target right now :)
This is hilarious. So we can’t talk about what happened 6 months ago because you will cite what happened 54 years ago? :laugh:

Last year wasn’t just the “one time” the Lafs were better than the Canucks. Your team hasn’t won a playoff round since what? 2004????

Meanwhile, the Canucks were contenders, the. they did a retool, then made the playoffs again - and won a round. And Leafs still haven’t won a round yet. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Play-in round was considered playoffs, where have you been?

NHL had some technicality where the play-in round was considered "post-season" but not the playoffs.

And I quote (last two sentences of article)..."The top four teams in each conference, based on points percentage, will play a three-game round-robin, and the No. 5-12 seeds will play in eight best-of-5 series. The winners of those series will advance to the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs against the four teams from the round-robin."

Stanley Cup Qualifiers schedule

Back to topic. I doubt JT Miller is available for futures.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
NHL had some technicality where the play-in round was considered "post-season" but not the playoffs.

And I quote (last two sentences of article)..."The top four teams in each conference, based on points percentage, will play a three-game round-robin, and the No. 5-12 seeds will play in eight best-of-5 series. The winners of those series will advance to the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs against the four teams from the round-robin."

Stanley Cup Qualifiers schedule

Back to topic. I doubt JT Miller is available for futures.
The Playoff structure was expanded from 16 to 24 teams, it's literally laid out in the article .

NHL plans to return with 24 teams competing for Stanley Cup

The fact that they used playoff OT rules, all of the points, goals, wins count towards the playoff stats alongside rounds 1-4 settles it. If it didn't count, then I would agree. But you are focusing on the naming convention of "1st round", because under the previous playoff format it was the start of the playoffs, but is not the case in 2020. It's the same concept the World Jr's used to have back in 2013 when they had a by-round. The MLB also uses this format with the Wild Card game, which has now been expanded from 1 game to 3 games. So does that not count as playoffs also?

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
All of the Goals, wins, points counted as Playoff Stats. The NHL announced the play-in round would be Playoffs. FACTS. Again, where have you been?

WRONG.

The play-in was not playoffs. The stats count as playoff stats, but technically it was not considered playoffs.

When the draft order was determined, teams that lost in the play-in had a chance to win the lottery picks, and they had the odds of the teams that barely miss the playoffs, meaning they barely missed the playoffs. And Rangers actually won #1 overall after losing in the play-in. In other words, they failed to qualify for the playoffs and won the draft lottery.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
:)
The Playoff structure was expanded from 16 to 24 teams, it's literally laid out in the article .

The fact that they used playoff OT rules, all of the points, goals, wins count towards the playoff stats alongside rounds 1-4 settles it. If it didn't count, then I would agree. But you are focusing on the naming convention of "1st round", because under the previous playoff format it was the start of the playoffs, but is not the case in 2020. It's the same concept the World Jr's used to have back in 2013 when they had a by-round. The MLB also uses this format with the Wild Card game, which has now been expanded from 1 game to 3 games. So does that not count as playoffs also?
Nope, that’s different. Wild card game is considered playoffs for the MLB. It is not the same thing as the play-in round of the NHL. Nice try though.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
WRONG.

The play-in was not playoffs. The stats count as playoff stats, but technically it was not considered playoffs.

When the draft order was determined, teams that lost in the play-in had a chance to win the lottery picks, and they had the odds of the teams that barely miss the playoffs, meaning they barely missed the playoffs. And Rangers actually won #1 overall after losing in the play-in. In other words, they failed to qualify for the playoffs and won the draft lottery.
Seeding for the draft has nothing to do with the NHL playoff format for 2020, as announced by them. The stats confirm it. A lot of people are purest thinking that 16 team format is playoffs, which was not the case in 2020.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
:)
Nope, that’s different. Wild card game is considered playoffs for the MLB. It is not the same thing as the play-in round of the NHL. Nice try though.
It's exactly the same. The higher seed teams got a by, and you had a wild card game for seeding. Same with World Jrs in 2013.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I'd rather not make it past the 1st round and assemble the team the Leafs have right now than make a fluke run to the 2nd round and then become a bottom feeder while capped out due to bloat contracts in the bottom 6.
“Become”?

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
WRONG.

Article, with this exact question, echoing exactly what I said, and confirmed by the NHL. :popcorn:

Opinion | Mailbag: The rise of Rasmus Sandin could be a gift for the Maple Leafs, and change the Morgan Rielly equation

"All 24 teams that were in the two bubbles last year “made the playoffs.” The NHL made that clear prior to, during and after. All the scoring, records and games played count toward playoff records. In fact, as the Leafs clinched, I received this in an email from the NHL’s media relations department. “Auston Matthews scored his NHL-leading 35th goal of the season and 10th game winner to help the Maple Leafs clinch the first playoff spot in the Scotia North Division. This marks Toronto’s fifth consecutive post-season appearance and 70th in franchise history.” I didn’t write that, the NHL did. They’d know."

Reactions: PuckLife

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Late to the party but I'd absolutely trade Miller for that deal in the OP.

He's excellent and a p/pg player on Toronto for sure, but he's not going to fit the dim jim timeline in Vancouver anyway.

Sell as high as possible as soon as possible.

Reactions: zcaptain

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Lets not be ignorant of other teams players and their talents

Dumba is a very good defensemen, and he has flirted with potential to be elite in the past. Still prefer to keep JT though.
Dumba **was** a very good defenseman.

He's another player destroyed by injuries. Never came back to his previous level after injuries and doesn't look like he will.

I would bet the Venn diagram of people who think Dumba is good and people who think OEL is "a little overpaid but still very good" is a circle.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Late to the party but I'd absolutely trade Miller for that deal in the OP.

He's excellent and a p/pg player on Toronto for sure, but he's not going to fit the dim jim timeline in Vancouver anyway.

Sell as high as possible as soon as possible.

For a cap dump, late 1st, B prospect, and a 2nd?

I'd expect my Jackets would top that offer easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad