Value of: JT Miller to the Leafs

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Instead you overpaid for Nick Foligno

Yea we did.

But was JT Miller available for a 1st round pick and two 4th round picks, and does Toronto have the room to fit his contract for the future / protect him in expansion? The answer to all of those questions is a resounding "no", which is why he isn't and shouldn't be a traget for the Leafs, on top of the concerns surrounding his effort.

But hey, what do I know know? Tyler Toffoli wasn't worth extending last year, but Tanner Pearson was worth extending this year for marginally less, on top of all the other "grenade" deals in the Vancouver bottom six.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Yea we did.

But was JT Miller available for a 1st round pick and two 4th round picks, and does Toronto have the room to fit his contract for the future / protect him in expansion? The answer to all of those questions is a resounding "no", which is why he isn't and shouldn't be a traget for the Leafs, on top of the concerns surrounding his effort.

But hey, what do I know know? Tyler Toffoli wasn't worth extending last year, but Tanner Pearson was worth extending this year for marginally less, on top of all the other "grenade" deals in the Vancouver bottom six.
I agree Benning is a moron.

Talk to me when you win a playoff round.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I agree Benning is a moron.

Talk to me when you win a playoff round.

If you don't win it all, none of it matters. There are 30 losers and 1 winner. Bring me your argument about winning when Vancouver wins a Cup, until then you're in the same boat as the rest of us. Congrats on a couple irrelevent playoff series wins though!

Reactions: TML1990

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If you wanna brag about winning a cup in the 60’s then I could say that Vancouver has won a cup too. If you wanna be like that we could be like that.

I don't think any Leaf fans are bragging about the cup win in '67. I think it comes up as the response to "you haven't won a cup in forever", from a fan of a team that literally hasn't ever won a cup.

There are a lot of intelligent fans from all teams on here, it can be frustrating when a productive and spirited discussion gets knocked off course and we resort to name-calling and jabs based on history, ancient history rather than forward-looking, thoughtful analysis. Here is some:
  • The Leafs have no interest in Miller. He doesn't fit our roster needs, our cap structure and he would cost too much to acquire
  • The original poster may have over-shot Miller's value, he certainly over-shot his value to the Leafs
  • The Leafs are in a stronger position right now than the Canucks, that is not really debatable
  • The Canucks need to wiggle and walk a tightrope as the Leafs did a few years ago when we had to sign Nylander, Marner, and Matthews while having dead-weight like Zaitsev and Marleau on the books. Dubas did it, it remains to be seen if Benning can do it with Hughes and Petersson -- I am not as confident that he can.
Let's keep it productive and respectful guys, feel free to disagree with any of the points above...but at least support the position you are taking with more than one-liner shots.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I don't think any Leaf fans are bragging about the cup win in '67. I think it comes up as the response to "you haven't won a cup in forever", from a fan of a team that literally hasn't ever won a cup.

There are a lot of intelligent fans from all teams on here, it can be frustrating when a productive and spirited discussion gets knocked off course and we resort to name-calling and jabs based on history, ancient history rather than forward-looking, thoughtful analysis. Here is some:
  • The Leafs have no interest in Miller. He doesn't fit our roster needs, our cap structure and he would cost too much to acquire
  • The original poster may have over-shot Miller's value, he certainly over-shot his value to the Leafs
  • The Leafs are in a stronger position right now than the Canucks, that is not really debatable
  • The Canucks need to wiggle and walk a tightrope as the Leafs did a few years ago when we had to sign Nylander, Marner, and Matthews while having dead-weight like Zaitsev and Marleau on the books. Dubas did it, it remains to be seen if Benning can do it with Hughes and Petersson -- I am not as confident that he can.
Let's keep it productive and respectful guys, feel free to disagree with any of the points above...but at least support the position you are taking with more than one-liner shots.
It’s unfortunate that you directed this towards me. I’m not the one that mentioned cups.

The Leafs are currently a better team than the Canucks. You are correct about that.

Benning is a moron, I have zero confidence in his ability. Canucks will probably get Hughes and EP signed to long term contracts, they’re not going anywhere. But the next gm will have a big mess to clean up because there will still be crappy contracts like Myers, Beagle, Eriksson, etc. and major holes on the roster, especially as defense.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Can we close this? Leaf fans hate it, Van fans hate it, the money would never work, the leafs would never give up 3 1sts in 1 trade for anything aside from a #1 dman, and the TDL passed.

Reactions: Fogelhund

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It’s unfortunate that you directed this towards me. I’m not the one that mentioned cups.

The Leafs are currently a better team than the Canucks. You are correct about that.

Benning is a moron, I have zero confidence in his ability. Canucks will probably get Hughes and EP signed to long term contracts, they’re not going anywhere. But the next gm will have a big mess to clean up because there will still be crappy contracts like Myers, Beagle, Eriksson, etc. and major holes on the roster, especially as defense.

Apologies, I thought it was you that started this from the Vancouver side of this. Well, at least I didn't say anything to you I would regret...let's all keep it civil.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Your team actually has to make the playoffs to criticize another team, and not be at the bottom of the league.

Big talk for a fan of a team that had, what, an 8 year skid without when they couldn't simply buy players or buyout of their mistakes?

I mean our Centennial happened since Toronto had any success in the playoffs.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Your team actually has to make the playoffs to criticize another team, and not be at the bottom of the league.
Your team has to win a playoff round before you can criticize another team.

Canucks won a round before the Leafs, even though you guys started a rebuild before us.

And all I heard from Leafs fans is how they had the perfect rebuild, and did it right way, etc. etc. That was funny.

Jan 21, 2018
Your team has to win a playoff round before you can criticize another team.

Canucks won a round before the Leafs, even though you guys started a rebuild before us.

And all I heard from Leafs fans is how they had the perfect rebuild, and did it right way, etc. etc. That was funny.

“The canucks are so much better than the leafs if you exclude the past and only focus on that one time the Canucks won a meaningless playoff round”

If you want to include the past, the Leafs have 13 Stanley cup, the Canucks have ZERO.

If you don’t want to include the past, the Leafs are currently one of the best teams in the NHL, and the Canucks are going back to the lottery with one of the worst GMs in the NHL.

Please pick on a team that is more suited to your team’s skill level. I hear Buffalo is an easy target right now :)

Reactions: Petrus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad