Jozef Balej vs. Peter Sejna

Status
Not open for further replies.

degroat*

DuklaNation said:
NCAA always list players as bigger than they really are. Do you follow college hoops at all?

Do you really think only the NCAA does this?

I have seen Sejna play when he was with St Louis. I stand by my comment.

Your comment is wrong.

Sammy*

SneakerPimp82 said:
I don't know if you noticed, but last year the entire Blues team struggled offensively the entire season, that had more than a little to do with Sejna's numbers. Like you said, they even took a flyer on Brian "the Savior" Savage, that tells you how desperate they were for offense. I believe he was ready offensively, but the anemic Blues offense didn't help much at all.
How in gods name can you say he was ready offensivly when, as a 24 year old (with all that entails , including been much more physically mature than a 19 year old,) he posted the numbers he did in St.Lou & Worcester?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I also take Balej since I've seen them both play in the NHL and Balej looks much steadier in the play.

And yes. I DID see Sejna play in the NHL since I was very interested in following him. He just didn't look spectacular and was hardly noticable.

Balej just makes plays and moves that are so so slick. He makes himself known a lot more than Sejna and played just as hard and strong.

I don't think it's a very hard decision as of right now. Sejna has a LOT more to prove to me than Balej does.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Sammy said:
How in gods name can you say he was ready offensivly when, as a 24 year old (with all that entails , including been much more physically mature than a 19 year old,) he posted the numbers he did in St.Lou & Worcester?

Can you not read? The whole Blues team struggled offensively last year, look up their numbers as you've obviously done for Sejna. As for his numbers in Worcester, kimzey and 210 have pointed out ad nauseum that they aren't reflective of his play in the AHL, especially in the latter part of the season.

One more thing, from what I've read on here, Balej better turn out to be a consistent 40+ goal scorer cuz he's being pimped as one in this thread. I mean, since he is far far far better than Sejna, a projected top 2 line winger. There's got to be a limit to this sh*t idiocy.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Taupy said:
Oh... it's so funny that now that Balej is not with the Habs anymore, that video emerges again and people look like loving it (Even if it wasn't the case before)

Yea, it's funny how prospects are regarded when they're on different teams, who knew this could happen? No hype or bias my ass.

Sammy*

SneakerPimp82 said:
Can you not read? The whole Blues team struggled offensively last year, look up their numbers as you've obviously done for Sejna. As for his numbers in Worcester, kimzey and 210 have pointed out ad nauseum that they aren't reflective of his play in the AHL, especially in the latter part of the season.

One more thing, from what I've read on here, Balej better turn out to be a consistent 40+ goal scorer cuz he's being pimped as one in this thread. I mean, since he is far far far better than Sejna, a projected top 2 line winger. There's got to be a limit to this sh*t idiocy.
The guy scores all of12 goals in a vastly inferior league to the NHL & he is offensivly NHL ready? :joker: :joker: :joker:

degroat*

Sammy said:
The guy scores all of12 goals in a vastly inferior league to the NHL & he is offensivly NHL ready?

.... says the guy that clearly did not see him play in the AHL last year. :joker: :joker: :joker:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Stich said:
.... says the guy that clearly did not see him play in the AHL last year. :joker: :joker: :joker:

Apparantly you haven't watched him much either since he was FAR from dominating. Honestly, he needs another year at least. He needs to prove he can even be a top liner there first.

Sammy*

Stich said:

Yeah, I am sure if I did I would be convinced he was offensivly "ready".
Probably just had a little bad luck around the net, no? :joker: :joker:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
SneakerPimp82 said:
this is what happens when you look at numbers alone.

I don't think that anyone is judging him on numbers alone. But aren't we allowed to factor in his actual production in our evaluations?

We've got a player that several posters said was sent down to the AHL because he wasn't polished enough defensively. If that's the case, wouldn't you expect that player to put up some some pretty solid offensive numbers? Especially in the AHL? And shouldn't a guy is projected to be a scorer at the NHL level be able to contribute more, even on a bad team, than Sejna did last year?

I'll admit to not seeing Sejna play in the AHL last year. I will say that the couple of games I saw him with the Blues weren't all that impressive. I would also say that if you're getting icetime with Doug Weight, and your not productive offensively, that it's more of the players issue than the team being "bad offensively". At what point does the player take responsibility for the team being "bad offensively"? Just wondering. (And I'm not saying that Sejna should of carried the load last year for the Blues, just that wasn't part of the solution for the Blues.)

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Reveille said:
He's played VERY strong in Hartford and his brief stint with NYR. Never shyed away from physical contact and harder to move off the puck than most players of his type. He also likes to use his stick a bit and will play dirty if he has to in order to get free.

I never said he shyed away from physical contact or didnt use his stick or didnt play dirty. Hes a very emotionnal player and always has been, but that doesnt make him a strong player, hes a weak player wether you like it or not.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Balej has cool goal celebrations. Especially when he eyes a camera. In conclusion, he wins, because of that.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Beukeboom Fan said:
First, let me say that I'd like to have either player on my team.

Call me crazy - but if Sejna was able to produce offensively, why did he only have 2g & 2a for 20 games? That would put him on pace to score 8g & 8a for a full season. He was also getting 15 minutes a night, which is pretty decent icetime for a rookie. Add in ALL of his points came on the PP, and I think that anyone could make a case that it was just Sejna's defense that got him sent to the AHL.

Also, the Blues were desperate all year for someone to step up and score on the 2nd line winger positions. Hell, they went so far as to give Brian Savage a chance (free or not!)!

I think that Sejna just needed some time to adjust to the pro game. I do think that it's a HUGE assumption though to say that he was ready offensively, but just wasn't polished enough defensively.

As the Blues fans here will tell you I was the only person saying the Sejna shouldn't have started the year in StL...in June of 2003.

The worst thing that could have possibly happened for the Blues and Sejna was that he scored a meaningless goal vs Roy in a meaningless game. Suddenly everyone thought this kid was the Second Coming and he was going to score bushel loads of goals last season.

The player that arrrived in Worcester was totally shell shocked and had no business even being in the AHL. But as the weeks went by Sejna regained his confidence, and had there been an NHL seasons to start I'm condident Sejna would have made a good run at it.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Beukeboom Fan said:
I don't think that anyone is judging him on numbers alone. But aren't we allowed to factor in his actual production in our evaluations?

Only when you are able to put those numbers into their proper perspective...had Sejna spent the entire season at Worcester I think he would have put up decent numbers here. Unfortunately he was "mishandled" and that lead to a lot of problems.

Sammy*

210 said:
Only when you are able to put those numbers into their proper perspective...had Sejna spent the entire season at Worcester I think he would have put up decent numbers here. Unfortunately he was "mishandled" and that lead to a lot of problems.
My, what an apologist for Sejna. I guess there is no self responsiblity for Blues players.
And pray tell, how was he so mishandled in Worcester?

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Sammy said:

I cant stand that excuse. There going to say they put him in a defensive mode or something. NJ is the most defensive team yet they have a couple of high scorers. Aslong as he got minutes he should produce.

degroat*

Sammy said:
My, what an apologist for Sejna. I guess there is no self responsiblity for Blues players.

The mishandling he was referring to was starting him in the NHL. Like he said, getting sent down had a negative effect effect on him and it took him a little while to adjust once he was sent down the AHL... which surprisingly is exactly what I said earlier in this thread. And also like I said earlier in this thread, Sejna's production after he got acclimated to the demotion his production was probably on par with that of Balej.

degroat*

NYRangers said:
I cant stand that excuse. There going to say they put him in a defensive mode or something. NJ is the most defensive team yet they have a couple of high scorers. Aslong as he got minutes he should produce.

Perhaps next time you should wait for a response instead of assuming something completely wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sammy*

Stich said:
The mishandling he was referring to was starting him in the NHL. Like he said, getting sent down had a negative effect effect on him and it took him a little while to adjust once he was sent down the AHL... which surprisingly is exactly what I said earlier in this thread. And also like I said earlier in this thread, Sejna's production after he got acclimated to the demotion his production was probably on par with that of Balej.
Well, I could be wrong butI think that Balej did a little better than 5 goals in his last 25 games in the "A", which was Sejnas production.Given that Sejna scored an eye poppin 12 in 59, he really probably never did actually acclimitize as his goal scoring production never really increased.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Stich said:
And also like I said earlier in this thread, Sejna's production after he got acclimated to the demotion his production was probably on par with that of Balej.

Your comment is wrong.

In no way did Sejna even TOUCH Balej in the AHL. No way. Sorry, but he wasn't even close to the level Balej played there. Balej played a much more complete game even. Not just beating Sejna in production.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Sammy said:

I'm not not an apologist for anyone. I know the facts. He was mishandled in StL, not Worcester...he should not have played there at all.

Of course, if you actually read my post you wouldn't have asked why he was mishandled in Worcester...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad