Prospect Info: Joshua Roy, LHC, Sherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL), 150th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Has nothing to do with the Q. There could be many factors, but at a young age playing for a coach like Gallant, is not always that easy.
Lafreniere was always a good little player, however he was not always destined to be a superstar from a young little age. It was on his second year bantam aaa, where we were all like "where did this kid come from?". He had a great midget aaa, a stellar 3 year in the Q, as well the world jr.

He's still young and too early to call him a bust.

Roy on the other hand, was a little superstar from a young age. His skating (speed) was a question mark as he was growing older, but his high hockey IQ always compensated. In any case, I see Roy's skating has improved from last year.
Sounds like Lafreniere could be another Drouin. Came out of nowhere late

Jul 6, 2016
Ask that to Crosby, Radulov, Lecavalier, Mackinnon , Huberdeau etc etc...

Everything to bash the Q when The Q's teams won many Memorial Cups in the last 20 years.

Laf is 20 ....jeez..
Lafrenière has Huberdeau's style and potential.

Reactions: Just Linda

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Lafreniere really struggling too. Not sure if all points in Q mean as much as we think?
Lafrenière is a head scratcher. He was never a dynamic player in the Q, he lacked speed and pace in his first year, but his pace picked up and his IQ and puck skills were on clear display on a game to game basis. I didn't think he would light the league right away, I always thought he would be a "project", but still the clear cut 1st overall, but man I never though he would struggle the way he is. He's on a deep team though and barely gets PP, which is a spot where his lack of speed could be on display. I'm happy that Roy was a 5th rounder because we're not expecting him in the NHL a year or 2 out. Lafrenière was on a bad spot though, being 1st overall he couldn't go to the AHL and he was definitely too good for the Q. With Roy, we can safely send him back there and give him a year or two in the AHL. He needs to pick up the pace and pick up some speed, so grooming him in the Q and the AHL is perfect.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018

Everything to bash the Q when The Q's teams won many Memorial Cups in the last 20 years.

Laf is 20 ....jeez..
The Q is the worst of the 3 CHL leagues because of it's depth. The depth is lacking big time, but the top end talent is similar, although also lacking in depth. Q and W also have an easier time trading for top talent, as they can trade 1st rounders. OHL teams cannot trade 1st rounders, so trades are harder to come by and superpowered teams aren't as popular as the Q and the W.

Edit : The Q isn't a bad league though, it's still a pretty good league to develop in. It's just not as good as the other leagues. The W in particular is on a strong surge and should be the best league for the next few years.

Reactions: RealityHurts

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The Q is the worst of the 3 CHL leagues because of it's depth. The depth is lacking big time, but the top end talent is similar, although also lacking in depth. Q and W also have an easier time trading for top talent, as they can trade 1st rounders. OHL teams cannot trade 1st rounders, so trades are harder to come by and superpowered teams aren't as popular as the Q and the W.

Edit : The Q isn't a bad league though, it's still a pretty good league to develop in. It's just not as good as the other leagues. The W in particular is on a strong surge and should be the best league for the next few years.
I would say that it's change each year. But I need to say that this year, it's true that the Q is weaker then usually.

Reactions: Sagikev

Jul 6, 2016

Ideally, there would be less teams in the Q and overall better depth. They usually have good first lines. The best teams have decent second lines. But most of them have really mediocre and weak bottom lines. Same for D. The overall Quebec minor hockey has to be revamped too. That is what they are doing right now. Birth rate and more interest for other sports (football, soccer, ski, etc...) have also direct impact on the talent pool.

Reactions: Sagikev

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Come on, every year some guys light up the Q and become non factors afterwards or disappoint at NhL level (see Veleno, Mckenna, Abbandonato, Checkovich only for year 2019….) I mean I d love for him to become a top6 player but this is not a guarantee at all
I agree that there's no guarantee that Roy becomes a good nhl players, but those players are not good comparables. Those guys had their great season in their d+2 years, while Roy is doing it as an 18 year old, which makes a big difference.

Veleno did it as an 18-year-old as well, but its way too soon to write him off. He's in his first nhl season.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I agree that there's no guarantee that Roy becomes a good nhl players, but those players are not good comparables. Those guys had their great season in their d+2 years, while Roy is doing it as an 18 year old, which makes a big difference.

Veleno did it as an 18-year-old as well, but its way too soon to write him off. He's in his first nhl season.
Definitely just mentioning the comment above that „it s hard to see him not be a superstar at NHL level“, people need to come down to earth ;)

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Lafrenière is a head scratcher. He was never a dynamic player in the Q, he lacked speed and pace in his first year, but his pace picked up and his IQ and puck skills were on clear display on a game to game basis. I didn't think he would light the league right away, I always thought he would be a "project", but still the clear cut 1st overall, but man I never though he would struggle the way he is. He's on a deep team though and barely gets PP, which is a spot where his lack of speed could be on display. I'm happy that Roy was a 5th rounder because we're not expecting him in the NHL a year or 2 out. Lafrenière was on a bad spot though, being 1st overall he couldn't go to the AHL and he was definitely too good for the Q. With Roy, we can safely send him back there and give him a year or two in the AHL. He needs to pick up the pace and pick up some speed, so grooming him in the Q and the AHL is perfect.
Yup, I didn't know Lafreniere in the Q except scouting reports. Gorton may trade for him where picked him. Still lot of like there I imagine. Under MSL he may flourish. I just don't know Lafreniere's trade value right now? Would you deal Flames first and Lehkonen for him?

Reactions: Dutronc

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Laf is 20 ....jeez..
He's also a 1st overall player.....he just might become a good player, maybe even a great one but right now, it's not looking to good when it comes to attaining elite status.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
He's also a 1st overall player.....he just might become a good player, maybe even a great one but right now, it's not looking to good when it comes to attaining elite status.
Based on what exactly? We’ve had plenty of elite players from the 2nd round on this team it can happen. Subban and Weber to name a few

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Based on what exactly? We’ve had plenty of elite players from the 2nd round on this team it can happen. Subban and Weber to name a few
based on what? He's a 1st overall that just hasn't really progressed, maybe slightly but you'd expect a much better surge in production from a 1st overall that plays for a very good team. He's being outproduced by both Raymond and Stutzle who have played less games then he has. Even on a PPG basis, Mercer, Lundell, and Drysdale are outproducing him, all players that are part of his draft class.

Lafreniere is starting to look like a KK clone....not looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad