Player Discussion Josh Norris C 6’1” - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean... sure? But the point of this board is to discuss the combinations we've seen to date, and talk about what we as fans like/don't like. Isn't it?

I don't like Tarasenko at LW. I understand that by game 1, he may not be at LW.

If your thinking is that we shouldn't have opinions because nothing is ever certain and everything can change tomorrow... then I guess I can't argue with that. You're right.

Why has he always started on the left? From what I've seen based on practice tweets, he's primarily played on the left in drills, as well. It seems like they're really trying to make him work on the left. Maybe I'm wrong...

My opinion is that we should just give him all his reps at RW. Maybe starting today that's what happens.
Lol, what are you talking about? I never said you can't have opinions, I simply challenged regarding how important which wing a player is on, and called out when you clearly misrepresentated how upfront Tarasenko has been about his preference.

Are we trying to show horn him into his opposite wing, well it seems not based on seemingly trying him on both sides, presumably to see what works. If you don't think it has worked so far, and prefer him to go to RW, that's fine, I don't think he's looked bad at LW, he just looks like a typical vet that's out there to shake off the rust rather than make impressions with the coach.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Did I miss more news on Norris or is all this just fear and what if?

At this point, it's all what if.

To date, the team has always said the plan was to get him 2 pre-season games. And we still have 2 pre-season games to go, so there really has been no change to the plan.

If he misses the next one though... that's when you can probably sound the alarm.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Lol, what are you talking about? I never said you can't have opinions, I simply challenged regarding how important which wing a player is on, and called out when you clearly misrepresentated how upfront Tarasenko has been about his preference.

Are we trying to show horn him into his opposite wing, well it seems not based on seemingly trying him on both sides, presumably to see what works. If you don't think it has worked so far, and prefer him to go to RW, that's fine, I don't think he's looked bad at LW, he just looks like a typical vet that's out there to shake off the rust rather than make impressions with the coach.

Well, now you're misrepresenting things.

You said that it's very common for wingers to play both sides so it's not a big deal if Tarasenko starts on the left.

I said that in Tarasenko's specific case, it's not common at all. He's never played LW, and has been upfront about never having played LW. So it is a big deal. He's being asked to do something different than he's done in his entire career.

When you take a 12-year veteran who's only ever played one position and play him at a different position because your team has a need at that position... that's shoehorning him into a new role.

If Pierre Dorion and DJ Smith wanted a 2nd line LWer, they could've gone out and signed a 2nd line LWer. Instead they signed a RWer, and after signing him, are trying to see if he can play on the left instead.

But at this point it's clear this is going nowhere so we'll just see how it shakes out.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At this point, it's all what if.

To date, the team has always said the plan was to get him 2 pre-season games. And we still have 2 pre-season games to go, so there really has been no change to the plan.

If he misses the next one though... that's when you can probably sound the alarm.

There is info we are not getting .. Not being cleared and Close (DJ's feedback).. I am going with Close until told otherwise.. if he misses another game or not.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, now you're misrepresenting things.

You said that it's very common for wingers to play both sides so it's not a big deal if Tarasenko starts on the left.

I said that in Tarasenko's specific case, it's not common at all. He's never played LW, and has been upfront about never having played LW. So it is a big deal.

When you take a 12-year veteran who's only ever played one position and play him at a different position because your team has a need at that position... that's shoe-horning him into a new role.

If Pierre Dorion and DJ Smith wanted a 2nd line LWer, they could've gone out an signed a 2nd line LWer. Instead they signed a RWer and are trying to see if he can play on the left.

But at this point it's clear this is going nowhere so we'll just see how it shakes out.
He literally talked about how it happens in game anyways and he's good to try it, you claimed he was upfront about how much more comfortable he is on the right which just isn't what he said. He brushed it off as not that big of a deal despite him not having done it before.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think most people are worried at this point. He hasn't played in almost a year and pre-season would be as important or more to him than anyone.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
He literally talked about how it happens in game anyways and he's good to try it, you claimed he was upfront about how much more comfortable he is on the right which just isn't what he said. He brushed it off as not that big of a deal despite him not having done it before.

Lol. I'm not disputing that. I've seen the quote: "I’ve played right all my life but I can try left."

I never said he was unwilling to try it. I said he's never played there before and if I was the team, I wouldn't be asking him to try it for the first time in his career.

I'd have him play the position he's always played. That gives him, and the team, the greatest chance at success.

It's not a leap to assume a person would be more comfortable doing the thing they've always done vs. the thing they've never done.

And obviously in a shift a RWer could end up on the left. That doesn't make them a LWer. Tkachuk is a LWer not a RWer even though sometimes, he ends up taking a shot from the right side.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Is what's best for the team to assume surgery won't be successful and pass up on a winger that will help fill a need for top 6 scoring just because of the hypothetical chance Norris wasn't going to be ready in 3 months?
Well I probably would have passed up tarasenko to sign pinto and a cheaper winger. Forget Norris

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Well I probably would have passed up tarasenko to sign pinto and a cheaper winger. Forget Norris
I really don't think that was the think to do. You have a young core who are starving to take the next step and Debrincat leaves. You do them a disservice by not going hard after a scoring winger IMO. You could have snuck by with Kubalik and then turned to Greig or signed someone lesser, but when you're at this point where you've assembled a heck of a roster, why not go the extra mile.

There'll be money to sign Pinto, I assume. Then we'll re-neg with him in Jan or next summer, but he's another core piece. He needs to PLAY, he needs to get in there. We have a monster of a team, play and then get paid, DON'T hold out.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Didn't our very own insider say that he had heard rumblings about LTIR and Norris a while ago? Not that it was a sure thing but that the team was thinking it may be a possibility.

Dorion has been caught outright lying more than once and I wouldn't put it past him to think "we can't tell people the truth before the season starts or else there will be too much negativity" and string along everyone. Very unlikely but Dorion has lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Didn't our very own insider say that he had heard rumblings about LTIR and Norris a while ago? Not that it was a sure thing but that the team was thinking it may be a possibility.

Dorion has been caught outright lying more than once and I wouldn't put it past him to think "we can't tell people the truth before the season starts or else there will be too much negativity" and string along everyone. Very unlikely but Dorion has lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago.
Who is our very own insider? BG?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It makes me think it's training camp and they are experimenting with their options to see who fits where, I just don't get why there would be any concern at this stage.

I'm not sure that's what they're doing but...for a team and coaching staff with a history of absolutely rancid starts I would think they'd want to get things locked in pretty quick and, hopefully, start running like a well-oiled machine.

Reactions: Ghost of Jody Hull

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This is a forum where hearsay is discussed. Ever been to the trade rumors board? I'm not writing a piece for the Athletic.
8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure that's what they're doing but...for a team and coaching staff with a history of absolutely rancid starts I would think they'd want to get things locked in pretty quick and, hopefully, start running like a well-oiled machine.
We had a strong start at 4-2 last year until injuries hit and Norris and Zub went out, can't control injuries. We have a preseason record of 5-1 so it seems like they're finding chemistry.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Are you suggesting that discussing whether or not Josh Norris will be ready to start the season is not allowed because we don't know for a fact whether his injury, or "tweak" is worse than the team has disclosed to the public?

I don't recall anyone posting anything that this "rule" would apply to, in this thread.

What an odd post.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Are you suggesting that discussing whether or not Josh Norris will be ready to start the season is not allowed because we don't know for a fact whether his injury, or "tweak" is worse than the team has disclosed to the public?

I don't recall anyone posting anything that this "rule" would apply to, in this thread.

What an odd post.
I assume they were referring to whoever posted the original comment claiming inside information is what isn't allowed.

Surely, once it's already made the rounds, we're allowed to discuss the hearsay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad