Value of: Josh Manson

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
if a contract needs to go (in order to re-sign everyone), he is the #1 on my list.

a pick is fine for him. 2nd, 3rd, whatever.

I actually like him and his gamestyle but no way should the Avs get rid of someone better and younger.
Avs least valued contracts.

Colton
Manson

They both have positive value, but I’d gladly dump either for a modest return.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
given the avs position and mansons ntc they'll probably only get a mid/late pick. mansons been good enough not to need an asset attached in a dump.

i wouldnt be surprised if it was girard moved instead at the same price.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I love Colton on the 3rd line. I'd argue he's exactly what the Avs have been missing on the 3rd line the last 2 years.
Could easily be replaced in that role by a Trenin type.

A 3C should be good in the dot, he should PK and he should be good defensively. Colton is none of those things.

given the avs position and mansons ntc they'll probably only get a mid/late pick. mansons been good enough not to need an asset attached in a dump.

Only if we keep another puck mover like Walker.

Manson is mediocre. He’s not nearly as strong defensively as is assumed. I’d rather get a cheaper player that provides more defensive acumen.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Could easily be replaced in that role by a Trenin type.

A 3C should be good in the dot, he should PK and he should be good defensively. Colton is none of those things.

Only if we keep another puck mover like Walker.

Manson is mediocre. He’s not nearly as strong defensively as is assumed. I’d rather get a cheaper player that provides more defensive acumen.
Come play off time G will lose minutes to Manson, JJ and Walker. He’s just not a play off type grinder

• Wow
Reactions: McJedi

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd be interested in him for Vancouver, if Zadorov prices himself out as expected. But even with Manson's NTC dropping to a less stringent list, i'd imagine Canada is still on there anyway. So it's probably not even worth discussing.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Come play off time G will lose minutes to Manson, JJ and Walker. He’s just not a play off type grinder
I really doubt that. You need puck movers in the playoffs. Esp a team like the Avs. Girard is their best PK defender analytically and underrated defensively. Girard is overrated offensively.

Manson is the opposite. He's overrated defensively, but underrated offensively.

JJ is the guy that is losing minutes because he's pretty washed at this stage of his career. He's the guy that will see his minutes reduded.

Walker should get plenty of minutes. He's a good fit so far. His jump into the play.. take lots of shots play-style will work well with how the Avs attack. Which is north south.. full speed penetration of the Ozone with puck possession. Drive the defense back/deep into their zone... then the puck carrier throws on the breaks and let lanes open/develope for trailing wingers and defenders to join the offensive play as they rush up the ice with speed. See both Avs goals vs the Oilers.

Walker fits that style really well.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

It's the old-school way of thinking where physical = defense. But I think people are starting to realize that it's not necessarily true.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Yeah only way we should trade Manson is if we resign Walker. And we shouldn't trade G. We already traded Byram, there's no one else coming on the left side. We don't have any prospects ready to come in and take on top 4 minutes. So if we don't resign Walker, we should be trading a forward for cap space if needed. Preferably Colton, then Wood if we need a little more. If Landy is back for real we could technically do Lehky, but that would not be desirable.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah only way we should trade Manson is if we resign Walker. And we shouldn't trade G. We already traded Byram, there's no one else coming on the left side. We don't have any prospects ready to come in and take on top 4 minutes. So if we don't resign Walker, we should be trading a forward for cap space if needed. Preferably Colton, then Wood if we need a little more. If Landy is back for real we could technically do Lehky, but that would not be desirable.
I mean. The Avs only area of strength in their pipeline is LHD with Gulyayev and Behrens... but Gulayev is a few years away so I see your point for next year anyway.

Avs should replace Manson with a cheaper bottom pair guy next year on a one year, cup chasing type deal. Reallocate the dollars to Walker, whom looks like a better fit than Josh.

Colton and Wood have been fine, but I suspect the Avs will explore moving one or both this summer.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I mean. The Avs only area of strength in their pipeline is LHD with Gulyayev and Behrens... but Gulayev is a few years away so I see your point for next year anyway.

Avs should replace Manson with a cheaper bottom pair guy next year on a one year, cup chasing type deal. Reallocate the dollars to Walker, whom looks like a better fit than Josh.

Colton and Wood have been fine, but I suspect the Avs will explore moving one or both this summer.
Yeah I agree with you, and I am thinking about next year specifically for D replacements. I'd be happy with your plan if they can pull it off. I was just thinking they shouldn't move Manson if they can't resign Walker.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State

If EJ can get a 4th rd pick, Manson should be worth at least a 3rd and prospect.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
No interest in a goon who is too scared to back up his cheap shots.

Signed,

All Blackhawks fans
Did anyone on Chicago even have the balls to challenge Manson? Probably wise not to do so:

Plus Manson has a NTC he's not going to the worst team in the league.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Did anyone on Chicago even have the balls to challenge Manson? Probably wise not to do so:

Plus Manson has a NTC he's not going to the worst team in the league.

odd question to ask when Manson didn't even have the balls to play in the game and instead opted for a 1 game injury/rest. Sure sounds like Manson thought there were plenty of challengers waiting for him on the Hawks.

• Haha
Reactions: Muffin

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah I agree with you, and I am thinking about next year specifically for D replacements. I'd be happy with your plan if they can pull it off. I was just thinking they shouldn't move Manson if they can't resign Walker.
The nice thing about the Avs post RyJo (and EJ) is I don't see a bad contract on our books. Even Landy being LTIR makes that one a non-problem. Nothing negative value.

While I don't think Manson or Colton or Wood carry big trade value, I think each could be moved if necessary. Wood less likely given the term and low AAV.

But I think you'd find takers for Manson and Colton without retention and with an add of some sort if the Avs want or try to move either.

For the Avs this summer, the goal is cap space more-so than value for the player. That latter part is the gravy.

Reactions: Mac Attack

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
odd question to ask when Manson didn't even have the balls to play in the game and instead opted for a 1 game injury/rest. Sure sounds like Manson thought there were plenty of challengers waiting for him on the Hawks.
Even as an Avs fan... I hated that slash Manson did on Bedard. That was a bush league play. Not sure why he felt compelled to try to hurt a great young 18 year old. What message are you sending in an otherwise innocuous game?

I really didn't like that play. His check from behind on JT Miller wasn't a favorite of mine either. Manson has been a little too dirty lately and I hope he cleans up his game. Some grit and edge is fine... if you're upset with Bedard... face rub him after a save around your net. But the over the top stuff is uncalled for and not Avs hockey. And if you injure a guy with some malice, you'll be suspended and rightfully so.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Even as an Avs fan... I hated that slash Manson did on Bedard. That was a bush league play. Not sure why he felt compelled to try to hurt a great young 18 year old. What message are you sending in an otherwise innocuous game?

I really didn't like that play. His check from behind on JT Miller wasn't a favorite of mine either. Manson has been a little too dirty lately and I hope he cleans up his game. Some grit and edge is fine... if you're upset with Bedard... face rub him after a save around your net. But the over the top stuff is uncalled for and not Avs hockey. And if you injure a guy with some malice, you'll be suspended and rightfully so.

thanks, appreciate the comments. The slash on Bedard was definitely bush league and can only be looked at as an intent to injure. Personally, I think he should've been suspended for it. He knew exactly what he was doing. It was well behind the play, Bedard was oblivious to it coming and it could've easily led to a broken bone. The kid is barely 18 and Manson is 32, almost twice his age.

Honestly, besides a suspension he should've been arrested for child abuse.

• Wow

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
No interest in a goon who is too scared to back up his cheap shots.

Signed,

All Blackhawks fans
Yeah, who the hell does Josh Manson think he is slashing THE Connor Bedard like that??

Bedard should be able to go out and slash + cross-check whoever the hell he feels like - whenever the hell he feels like and certainly not be subject to ANY kind of repercussions at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad