Value of: Josh Manson

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
Manson has been good this year, but the Avs will need to make some tough decisions this summer and he might be the odd man out.

Manson’s still only 32 and his NTC becomes a 12-team NTC this summer. He’s a quality RHD, who is big and physical, and is signed for two more years after this ($4.5M AAV).

What is his trade value should he become available?

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
if the best offer was a 3rd round pick, I’d accept that.

He’s a big RHD that can skate, has more offense than defense and seems to enjoy hitting.

Manson is Defensively overrated.

But he’s Offensively underrated.
Canes in on this. Could use a Pesce replacement for a couple of years to be a 4D at a decent cap hit.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

He’s a big RHD that can skate, has more offense than defense and seems to enjoy hitting.

I feel like Anaheim could do that. Or maybe even just trade you a young dmen in place(not sure what Colorado needs) but lacombe, Vaakanianen, or maybe a guy like moore if he doesn’t want to sign with Anaheim(I assume he is going back to Harvard next year).

My guess is we draft levshunov/Dickinson or yakemchuk this year, and we’d be using Manson as a stop gap.

Fowler luneau
Mintyukov Manson
Zellweger gudas

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

You might accept a third, I don’t think the Avs would. He’s still a decent top 4 defender who is physical, something our defense as a whole is missing. His contract is fair, but the Avs have impending cap concerns.

A physical top 4 RHD with a couple years left is likely a hot commodity and multiple teams would be interested.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You might accept a third, I don’t think the Avs would. He’s still a decent top 4 defender who is physical, something our defense as a whole is missing. His contract is fair, but the Avs have impending cap concerns.

A physical top 4 RHD with a couple years left is likely a hot commodity and multiple teams would be interested.

What are avs need? I could see Anaheim interested if we can lure in Roy or pesce

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
What are avs need? I could see Anaheim interested if we can lure in Roy or pesce

I’m not sure how likely Manson truly is to be moved (I think the offer would have to blow their socks off). If Manson is moved I would imagine they have an idea in mind to re-shape their bottom two defense pairs, with the goal to possibly keep Walker over him.

If that is the case the Avs needs might be a comparable LHD, decent picks or prospects to get a player that fits the hole better.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Don’t see the Avs trading Manson or Girard unless they re-sign Walker.

Cap wise they are fine leading into next year.

Obviously if Landeskog’s comeback is a failure and he is out next year there are no cap issues at all — and there is a greater than 0% chance of that.

But say he is back, the math is still doable. Just means the bottom pair on D is going to be a combo of rookies and vets on min contracts and same for the 4th line.

Avs have a few prospects on D that are 1-3 years out, I suspect they hold this core 4 basically as is until one of them really hits.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Don’t see the Avs trading Manson or Girard unless they re-sign Walker.

Cap wise they are fine leading into next year.

Obviously if Landeskog’s comeback is a failure and he is out next year there are no cap issues at all — and there is a greater than 0% chance of that.

But say he is back, the math is still doable. Just means the bottom pair on D is going to be a combo of rookies and vets on min contracts and same for the 4th line.

Avs have a few prospects on D that are 1-3 years out, I suspect they hold this core 4 basically as is until one of them really hits.
The Avs are not fine cap wise if Landeskog comes back.
At least 1 4-5 million contract needs to go out. Minimum 1.
If Landeskog is officially done, that changes everything.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m not sure how likely Manson truly is to be moved (I think the offer would have to blow their socks off). If Manson is moved I would imagine they have an idea in mind to re-shape their bottom two defense pairs, with the goal to possibly keep Walker over him.

If that is the case the Avs needs might be a comparable LHD, decent picks or prospects to get a player that fits the hole better.
that makes sense, hoping we draft levshunov…. And just need to find a stop gap dmen

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
that makes sense, hoping we draft levshunov…. And just need to find a stop gap dmen

I’m my opinion if the Ducks can’t sign a vet RHD they’d be better off not involved in a Manson trade. I would think Toronto would be falling over themselves for Manson, then there’s a wide range of other teams looking to improve their right side (Ottawa, Edmonton, etc.) at the end of the day it’s pretty unlikely he’s moved as he fills a unique need for the Avs.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m my opinion if the Ducks can’t sign a vet RHD they’d be better off not involved in a Manson trade. I would think Toronto would be falling over themselves for Manson, then there’s a wide range of other teams looking to improve their right side (Ottawa, Edmonton, etc.) at the end of the day it’s pretty unlikely he’s moved as he fills a unique need for the Avs.

Eh they didn’t even beat the avs offer of 2nd + helleson when he was available lol…. I think they like to dream of Manson but never want to pay the price

Granted new gm so maybe

Reactions: Perratrooper

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Yes, he has many aspects to his game that typically appeal to teams. Yes, there will be a lot of interest in him. But don’t underestimate what happened in 2023 when he missed 70% of the season. It’s becoming more and more important to not have dead cap space with guys who miss significant time. He might fill a need but he needs to be on the ice and that’s not a guarantee. It would not be shocking for the Avs to sell high before another injury plagued season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

3rd is what I’d accept. I’d start the negotiation at a 1st + B prospect. Think it settles as a 2nd + B- prospect.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
if a contract needs to go (in order to re-sign everyone), he is the #1 on my list.

a pick is fine for him. 2nd, 3rd, whatever.

I actually like him and his gamestyle but no way should the Avs get rid of someone better and younger.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Lot's of teams need RHD right now, and the market is pretty thin. Some team will be in on both Roy and Pesce this summer, miss out on both, and then get desperate. Plus Manson plays a physical style, which is something teams value. I could see him going for more then he's worth if made available.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Yeah I don’t think it’s gonna be Manson… it’ll be interesting for sure

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
The Avs are not fine cap wise if Landeskog comes back.
At least 1 4-5 million contract needs to go out. Minimum 1.
If Landeskog is officially done, that changes everything.
1710612309464.png

Not saying it would be all these exact players, Pavel, Foudy, Johnson, Behrens, Malinski, ect all could be swapped around others in that same rookie/affordable vet type player -- depending on how his season ends Annunen at 1.25 might be a bit rich -- or if he gets playoff games might be low --- and in general the bottom of the lineup contracts are more just placeholders.

But this leaves you with 4-5 million in cap space depending on how you construct the bottom of the roster. This exact roster totals 83,288,750.

The big hole there of course is needing to fit in Mittelstadt into that. The last few weeks here and the playoffs are going to shape out where he comes in at. Can you get him on a 2 year 5-5.5 million dollar deal -- do you want to risk/do that and walk him to UFA where he will likely leave for a big payday elsewhere? If that is the route, I would move Wood for a cheaper option - maybe Richie is ready for the NHL, or another of the Avs forward prospects. Kovalenko probably takes Wood's spot on the 3rd line next year anyways? Moving Wood would clear you 1.5-1.7 more in cap space depending on the cost of the player replacing him on the roster. Again, depending on the roster build, you are around 5.5-7 million in cap space.

If you believe in Ritchie as the future and/or just want to ice the most competitive roster you can in the moment, you shape the Mittelstadt contract to be as affordable as possible for the now and are resigned to letting that asset walk eventually -- or hell maybe trading him after next season.

Deadline next year you once again go shopping for depth players to upgrade around the bottom of the roster as needed.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
View attachment 836912
Not saying it would be all these exact players, Pavel, Foudy, Johnson, Behrens, Malinski, ect all could be swapped around others in that same rookie/affordable vet type player -- depending on how his season ends Annunen at 1.25 might be a bit rich -- or if he gets playoff games might be low --- and in general the bottom of the lineup contracts are more just placeholders.

But this leaves you with 4-5 million in cap space depending on how you construct the bottom of the roster. This exact roster totals 83,288,750.

The big hole there of course is needing to fit in Mittelstadt into that. The last few weeks here and the playoffs are going to shape out where he comes in at. Can you get him on a 2 year 5-5.5 million dollar deal -- do you want to risk/do that and walk him to UFA where he will likely leave for a big payday elsewhere? If that is the route, I would move Wood for a cheaper option - maybe Richie is ready for the NHL, or another of the Avs forward prospects. Kovalenko probably takes Wood's spot on the 3rd line next year anyways? Moving Wood would clear you 1.5-1.7 more in cap space depending on the cost of the player replacing him on the roster. Again, depending on the roster build, you are around 5.5-7 million in cap space.

If you believe in Ritchie as the future and/or just want to ice the most competitive roster you can in the moment, you shape the Mittelstadt contract to be as affordable as possible for the now and are resigned to letting that asset walk eventually -- or hell maybe trading him after next season.

Deadline next year you once again go shopping for depth players to upgrade around the bottom of the roster as needed.
Mittelstadt is at least getting a 3 year deal(I'm hoping 5)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad