Value of: Josh leivo to Vancouver

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Toronto just re-signed him until the end of the 2018-2019 season so I doubt he's available. His value is too low to even consider trading him bc he rarely even plays. Supposedly a rival team reached out to the Leafs inquiring on Leivo and Toronto management said the asking price is high.

The Leafs will lose any trade sending Leivo the other way. His IQ, board play, and shot would make him a 20-20 player at the least if he gets top 9 minutes.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Toronto just re-signed him until the end of the 2018-2019 season so I doubt he's available. His value is too low to even consider trading him bc he rarely even plays. Supposedly a rival team reached out to the Leafs inquiring on Leivo and Toronto management said the asking price is high.

The Leafs will lose any trade sending Leivo the other way. His IQ, board play, and shot would make him a 20-20 player at the least if he gets top 9 minutes.

He looked VERY good in the 2nd game vs the Jets last year.
I was like who is this frick'n guy.
He was in many ways the player that stood out the most that game.
Based on not expecting him to cause us so many problems.

Reactions: 95

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
He has potential but is just a victim of the numbers game in Toronto right now.
We have 3 impending UFAs so he should get his full time spot next season.

I really doubt the Leafs are looking to trade him but at the same time he isn't the kind of player that would be untouchable either.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

I don't necessarily think he'll be traded this season, but I don't think them re-signing him was solely because they want to keep him long term. They did it in large part to keep him as an RFA, otherwise he'd have less value trade-wise as he'd be a UFA.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Don't think he's going anywhere, his value is low but his upside is relatively solid. Just can't crack the lineup because Babcock loves certain players more and others are higher on the depth chart for obvious reasons. He'd cost more in actuality than his perceived worth on these boards.

Reactions: TS Quint

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs used a protection slot on him, so yeah not gonna give him up for nothing

I think he is a regular next year with 4 UFAs up front

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He's worth way more to the Leafs than Vancouver would pay for him.
It's best not to even get into the cost because both sides will scoff.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think the Leafs would possibly want a 2nd for him.
Yes, but that would likely fall into the "over-payment" realm because he hasn't proven much (hasn't been given a chance), isn't waive eligible and doesn't have draft pedigree.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Right now? I'd probably keep him if all we were getting was that.
Exactly.
A 3rd only has a 23.8% chance of ever playing 100 games in the NHL.

I think teams would consider a 2nd as an overpayment until he gets more consistent ice time in the NHL. Basically, it's not worth it for the Leafs to trade him at his current value.

Reactions: garyturner3

willyjones

May 30, 2013
At this point it would take an over payment for leafs to move him. I don't think he replaces jvr, but I do think he can slot into uncle Leo spot next season and be a 20 20 guy.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Exactly.
A 3rd only has a 23.8% chance of ever playing 100 games in the NHL.

I think teams would consider a 2nd as an overpayment until he gets more consistent ice time in the NHL. Basically, it's not worth it for the Leafs to trade him at his current value.

Leivo was a 3rd round pick and he is half way to being in that 23.8%, 50 games played. His cost to acquire would be seen as an overpayment to vancouver (or any team). He only doesnt play regularly because he doesnt PK

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
He should be in the lineup over Martin and Moore no doubt.

Unless it's something worth it, there's no reason to trade him.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leivo's value is low, because he's got such a small sample size. I see no reason to trade him at what his market value is.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
A prospect like Gadjovich may peak the Leafs interest. It would definitely take a good asset to pry Leivo away.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
What about Ben Hutton for Leivo?

Seems like a 2nd round pick is the expected value, that is about where I would put Hutton right now.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
What about Ben Hutton for Leivo?

Seems like a 2nd round pick is the expected value, that is about where I would put Hutton right now.

No interest in Hutton, would prefer the 2nd at minimum. And I personally still wouldn't do it. Maybe revisit around the draft to see how high the 2nd is. There is nothing wrong with how Leivo has trended from junior->Marlies. The only thing he has left to prove is to play at the NHL in meaningful minutes and a larger sample size. Which he hasn't really gotten. Just doesn't make much sense to sell a commodity that has trended well but hasn't gotten a shot.

In some pessimistic scenario and he busts out, a 2nd is hardly enough value to fret about. It'd be more worrisome to lose out on his potential productivity/upside.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
No interest in Hutton, would prefer the 2nd at minimum. And I personally still wouldn't do it. Maybe revisit around the draft to see how high the 2nd is. There is nothing wrong with how Leivo has trended from junior->Marlies. The only thing he has left to prove is to play at the NHL in meaningful minutes and a larger sample size. Which he hasn't really gotten. Just doesn't make much sense to sell a commodity that has trended well but hasn't gotten a shot.

In some pessimistic scenario and he busts out, a 2nd is hardly enough value to fret about. It'd be more worrisome to lose out on his potential productivity/upside.

Fair enough. Do you think he will ever get a chance in TO, or will he have a tough time climbing the depth chart?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad