Value of: Josh leivo to Vancouver

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Fair enough. Do you think he will ever get a chance in TO, or will he have a tough time climbing the depth chart?

To be honest, it could go either way. JVR, Komarov, Bozak, Moore are all pending UFA's. 4 spots need to be filled next year, and it's a guessing game if management actually values C Depth up the middle as much as I personally do- i.e. making a play for a Tavares, Ellers, Backlund type..or simply moving Nylander/Marleau to C next year.

Then you have internal guys in our system all itching for a spot- Johnsson, Kapanen, Soshnikov (primarily, and even an outside but remote shot for guys like Grundstrom). There are probably about 4 spots to be won internally, if the Leafs let everyone go. I would say there's a good shot he cracks the lineup next year full-time. Probably around a 75% chance, but it becomes more difficult if the Leafs start resigning/signing guys.

The JVR situation will be the most telling, because Leivo isn't going to be a PK player so someone else (like Johnsson, Kappy, Sosh) are going to need to fill the potential holes left out by Moore, Komarov.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Not given a change in Toronto? Well Levio just signed an extension for next season, so must you must think it's OK here.
The Leafs have had the good fortune of having so few injuries to their wingers in the past 1.5 years.
The Leafs have to be play the "long game" with players and contracts. Likely the Leafs aren't going to the final four this year.
I agree with "first emperor " above. Leafs have four forward UFAs next summer (I don't think any are resigned) and there will be opportunities for Leivo, Soshnikov, Johnsson, Kapanen. The Leafs really don't have much cap room year, if they want to put their 2018/19 bonus in next years cap, and therefore have to put Horton's cap hit on the opening day roster too, for performance bonuses reasons.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah I'd probably say a 2nd. He's looked good when in the lineup, just needs to have the spot. Can not really blame Babcock though. Unless he takes out a much better player like JvR (just not going to happen) or plays over someone who has a defined role he can not fill (Komarov and his PK/defensive abilities, Moore is a C, Martin as our primary physical force, etc.), there is nothing really there for him unless we trade JvR or otherwise open up a spot for him.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Toronto just re-signed him until the end of the 2018-2019 season so I doubt he's available. His value is too low to even consider trading him bc he rarely even plays. Supposedly a rival team reached out to the Leafs inquiring on Leivo and Toronto management said the asking price is high.

The Leafs will lose any trade sending Leivo the other way. His IQ, board play, and shot would make him a 20-20 player at the least if he gets top 9 minutes.

Why isn't he playing if he's at least a 20-20 player?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd be fine paying a 2nd for Leivo if we were in a better situation.

Our team was average with out injuries to 2/3s of our top line and the only thing resembling a shutdown player. Without these guys, for 4-6 weeks, we are a losing team. That second could end up being 32nd overall. If we weather the storm here, I'd be happy to revisit this if we are in playoff position in February.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Would Leafs fans trade Leivo for Mike Reilly with a small add if needed?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think the Canucks already have enough of their own players like Leivo in the system ...Doesnt make a lick of sense to me..?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Do you really wanna go down this road? You’re going to have to post in a lot of threads.
Honestly? Seeing as the Canucks just waived another case of leaf fan overvaluing in Leipsic, I don’t think it’s egregious to say this about the posts in this thread.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Honestly? Seeing as the Canucks just waived another case of leaf fan overvaluing in Leipsic, I don’t think it’s egregious to say this about the posts in this thread.
Oh I agree. I was just saying if someone is going to point out every time Leaf fans overvalue someone they’re going to be busy and may want to hire a secretary.

Reactions: mstad101

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Funny how much Leafs fans overvalued him

Keep in mind this thread was in the middle of Johnssons’ coming out party in the AHL. By the end of the AHL season, his stint in the NHL, and through the Calder playoffs Johnsson jumped Leivo on the LW depth chart making him less valuable.

That said. I don’t know how anyone thought we were going to get a 2nd for him...

Reactions: FishManSam

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Keep in mind this thread was in the middle of Johnssons’ coming out party in the AHL. By the end of the AHL season, his stint in the NHL, and through the Calder playoffs Johnsson jumped Leivo on the LW depth chart making him less valuable.

That said. I don’t know how anyone thought we were going to get a 2nd for him...
What I’m hearing from this is that we should all be prepared for threads in which Leaf fans overvalue Johnsson, amirite?

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018

Funny how much Rangers fans overvalued McDonagh. Went from expecting Rielly/Marner/Nylander to getting Howden + some picks and prospects as well as downgrade significantly from Miller and Namestnikov. :laugh: I also remember quite well how Rangers fans thought both Brassard and Stepan were bonified #1C's. Funny how every single fan overvalues their players. But yeah just pin it to the Leafs.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Because value changes over time, and Leivo did not have a spot with the team anymore. Back then, he still had a lot of promise and was not exactly something the Leafs were going to toss away. Heck he still has a lot of promise, and I think there still should have been a spot for Leivo in the top 12, but it was going to be a battle and Dubas did not want Leivo to have to go through that again.

I think the Leafs did quite well in the deal. Considering we were the only team to get something of value out of a young winger with promise this week. Carcone gives the Leafs a ton of flexibility on the trade market, since they do not need to worry about depth on the Marlies. There may even be a chance he carves out a role with the Leafs next year. There could easily be 4 lower tier forward roles available next year, and while there will be a lot of internal competition for those spots, Carcone offers something unique. Otherwise, he could be another solid option for the Marlies going forward, like Klimchuk, and then could maybe make it later on. There is a lot of attractive things that he provides, and the few times I have seen him on Utica, he looked better than his numbers indicated.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Funny how much Rangers fans overvalued McDonagh. Went from expecting Rielly/Marner/Nylander to getting Howden + some picks and prospects as well as downgrade significantly from Miller and Namestnikov. :laugh: I also remember quite well how Rangers fans thought both Brassard and Stepan were bonified #1C's. Funny how every single fan overvalues their players. But yeah just pin it to the Leafs.
Considering this is a leafs conversation yea its crazy how much you guys overrated the value of Levio. As for Mcdonagh, the value we got in that trade is close to what I said the Rangers would get for him anyone expecting the stuff you said was dumb, like the leaf fans thinking Levio was worth a 2nd or more.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

The way I see it, Leivo was with the Leafs for years. They had high picks and made some other moves but he got passed over by a lot of the younger guys, and babcock seems to not like him.

They did the smart move by moving him instead of losing him on waivers for free. Sure they would have liked a draft pick probably instead but they got an AHL winger to help the farm.

Finally a player I mention got traded to the Canucks tho. Best of luck to Leivo but in no way am I expecting him to be some kind of savior. Hopefully he takes this opportunity and runs with it tho!!!

Reactions: Dustin

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017
They told him when he resigned, if there wasnt a place for him, they'd find somewhere for him to be traded to.

they basically did Josh a solid.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Considering this is a leafs conversation yea its crazy how much you guys overrated the value of Levio. As for Mcdonagh, the value we got in that trade is close to what I said the Rangers would get for him anyone expecting the stuff you said was dumb, like the leaf fans thinking Levio was worth a 2nd or more.

Well from the sounds of it, it looks like the Leafs just wanted to give him away with respect to Leivo so he doesn't sit. Im sure the Leafs could've gotten at least a 4th if they made an effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->