Confirmed with Link: Josh Leivo signs for a 1 year, 925k

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yet he's played a bunch of games in the NHL, he's on an NHL team's roster, he has an NHL contract and that contract was just extended. Hmm, I dunno man, that sounds like an NHL player to me.
It is hard to see him in this Teams future though.

Reactions: francis246

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Not hard for me. Not saying he'll make it but it looks like he'll get his chance and he was pretty good last year. He's also a big body which every team can use and we don't have much of - I can also think of only one prospect in our system who's comparable in that regard so I think that also suggests he'll get every chance to prove his worth.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not hard for me. Not saying he'll make it but it looks like he'll get his chance and he was pretty good last year. He's also a big body which every team can use and we don't have much of - I can also think of only one prospect in our system who's comparable in that regard so I think that also suggests he'll get every chance to prove his worth.
I think he'll play in the league, just for another Team.

Reactions: francis246

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

You may well be right, I'm rooting for him to be with us though. Once JVR is gone, Leivo could be just what we need - a big body in front of the net with good hands.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
So take
You may well be right, I'm rooting for him to be with us though. Once JVR is gone, Leivo could be just what we need - a big body in front of the net with good hands.
So take a step backwards rather than keeping the better player?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So take a step backwards rather than keeping the better player?

If you mean JVR (and I'm assuming you do) then I'm good with keeping him as long as the price/term makes sense for us but I doubt it will. If it does, great but if it doesn't, then signing him would indeed be a step backwards.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
If you mean JVR (and I'm assuming you do) then I'm good with keeping him as long as the price/term makes sense for us but I doubt it will. If it does, great but if it doesn't, then signing him would indeed be a step backwards.
We have no idea the price/term for any of these guys but saying price/term needs to be low so we can sign less contributors to better price/term is ridiculous

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
agree with Gary, he'll get a shot this year or next year at a real job. His agent knows that his value is at an all time high and they still decided to sign here, can't imagine that's for an indefinite 13th forward job

the pressure to get him games is completely gone though, so at this point it doesn't matter much. I'd like to see him and Kapanen get work between now and the deadline to see if they can make JVR expendable to get some assets back - not absolutely critical but that would be nice

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Don’t worry. The ridiculous numbers you see float around to sign Nylander and Marner yet don’t sign the better contributor boggles the mind.

You seem to be so "boggled" you're unable to form proper sentences. Best of luck with your recovery.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Again I’m not sure why i would care about respect as a poster from you or anyone else.
Because respect is something you earn by providing something of value?

Mike Babcocks actions point to that fact.
Mike Babcock's actions indicate that he prefers Connor Brown, a high-end proven NHL player, in the lineup. Not that he doesn't want to use Leivo.

To still not understand that difference even after its been pointed out to you several times just shows willful ignorance. As such, I'm done with you.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's funny that folks think they can speak for Babcock - especially when he's even gone out of his way to praise Leivo for being a pro. The team wasted no time signing him to a new deal, folks thinking is a rubbish asset I think don't have much of a leg to stand on at this point.

With 100ish points in depth scoring departing with Bozak/JVR departing, that will become the team's #1 need to start the next season. Leivo is more offensively ready than any of the younger Marlies, so I can see him sliding into the roster, at least to start the next season.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
so if Leivo gets a real chance either this year or next, and turns into our very own second coming of Brandon Saad, will those in here that obviously dislike him be mad about it? Super confusing

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
so if Leivo gets a real chance either this year or next, and turns into our very own second coming of Brandon Saad, will those in here that obviously dislike him be mad about it? Super confusing

I don't think anyone dislikes Leivo. Its more directed to the fan base that believes he is a shoe in for 60 points a year because he had 2 goals and 8 assists in 13 games last year.

Fact is, Leivo is an average skater at best, who has decent hands and may be able to produce a decent amount of points in the right situation. Essentially he is a poor mans JVR, who most people dislike for his lack of defensive effort. In my opinion, I would rather have Kapanen and/or Soshnikov fill any internal spots, as they are more diverse than Leivo.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't think anyone dislikes Leivo. Its more directed to the fan base that believes he is a shoe in for 60 points a year because he had 2 goals and 8 assists in 13 games last year.

Fact is, Leivo is an average skater at best, who has decent hands and may be able to produce a decent amount of points in the right situation. Essentially he is a poor mans JVR, who most people dislike for his lack of defensive effort. In my opinion, I would rather have Kapanen and/or Soshnikov fill any internal spots, as they are more diverse than Leivo.

the way I'm reading this thread it's the opposite - the optimist camp (where I am) is happy that he's getting a shot and think he could turn out as a viable JVR replacement. The pessimist camp is making absolute statements about what he is (one guy's post devolving into incoherent babble, another guy swearing at people)

that 13 game sample was impressive when you look at the underlying numbers, I don't think that any of us believe that Leivo is going to be a Hart candidate. If he can come close to being that player over a larger sample, and with JVR-like offensive zone/weaker competition usage, he could be a nice inexpensive replacement and possibly an overall small upgrade with the possession abilities

it could also turn out that what he's done in the NHL before this year was a total false positive, and he's a bubble NHL'er, and I think the optimist side of this has acknowledged that

I think there's room for more than Kapanen/Sosh, and that Leivo and Sosh really aren't competing for the same spots - Sosh hasn't shown the offensive ability to be a PP/scoring line option to this point but he has the wheels and tenacity to be a good energy player, Leivo's the opposite of that

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

it all depends where leivo plays and with who he plays with. if leivo becomes the leafs #2 lw and plays with nylander and kapanen, he will probably get 55 or 60 points imo

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Injury occurs bring up Kapanen. Anyone but Leivo. Gauthier gets the call but play neither does Leivo. Soshnikov gets the call because of contract clauses. Didn’t need play just get the call but hell play him before Leivo. Babcock would rather play your pet gerble before Leivo. Bury your heads in the sand all you like. He’s only played him when there is no other option.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Injury occurs bring up Kapanen. Anyone but Leivo. Gauthier gets the call but play neither does Leivo. Soshnikov gets the call because of contract clauses. Didn’t need play just get the call but hell play him before Leivo. Babcock would rather play your pet gerble before Leivo. Bury your heads in the sand all you like. He’s only played him when there is no other option.
weird that Leivo has more games played this year than Kapanen, Gauthier, Soshnikov and anyone's pet gerbil then when those have all been options

Toronto Maple Leafs 2017-18 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Not sure why people are so dumbfounded or upset that Leivo was signed, just take a look at our depth chart at LW and that will tell you EXACTLY why he was signed. It buys time.

James van Riemsdyk(Gone in 2018)
Zach Hyman
Leo Komarov (Gone in 2018)
Matt Martin
Josh Leivo
Andreas Johnsson (M)
Kerby Rychel (M)
Dmytro Timashov (M)
Trevor Moore (M)
Colin Greening (M)
Pierre Engvall (E)
Nolan Vesey (C)
Vladislav Kara (E)

Not sure you want to go into next year and have Hyman as your #1 at LW. Some might say well you can just sign a UFA to take over as your #1 LW, well thatis your plan, you will not sign a legit #1 LW for less that 5.5 to 6 mil, so you might as well keep JVR and then plan on dumping one of the big three, cause you can only fit so many 6+ mil contracts under the cap and still be competitive.

There might be a goal scoring winger on that list after Leivo but do you want to hope and pray or do you want to sign a low cap hit and a player who has shown he can score at the NHL level?

Reactions: Menzinger

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Straw man alert.

I haven't seen one single person say he's a shoo in. I have seen a number of people spew nonsense such as "Leivo's not an NHL player" when it's clearly too early to make that call and there's evidence to suggest otherwise.

Poor man's JVR is a decent description. And he'll make up some of what he lacks as far as scoring touch goes with the fact that his defensive effort will be an improvement over JVR.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That’s some ugly sentence structure

Yeah I don't really like complaining about people's spelling/grammar but man, that guy ...the funny part is that people like that can always come back with denials like "that's not what I meant" and then it's like, OK if you say so I guess, the way you express yourself, who the hell knows what you're trying to say.

weird that Leivo has more games played this year than Kapanen, Gauthier, Soshnikov and anyone's pet gerbil then when those have all been options

Toronto Maple Leafs 2017-18 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

It's true. I've been keeping a close eye on things and I swear, I haven't seen a gerbil suit up for us even once this season. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad