Confirmed with Link: Josh Leivo signs for a 1 year, 925k

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Interesting (to not say pointlesss/meaningless) question. I am, not sure about you though.

BTW, are you even a Leaf fan? If you are, enjoy the game tonight! If not, um I dunno, whatever.

I am a leafs fan, seriously f*** you. I don't have to like Leivo and not liking him doesn't make me less of a fan than you.

And I will enjoy the game, especially since Leivo will be scratched tonight.

Reactions: cupcrazyman

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I am a leafs fan, seriously **** you. I don't have to like Leivo and not liking him doesn't make me less of a fan than you.

man, if its causing you that much emotional distress, maybe it's time for a break from HF

the Leivo signing can be nothing but neutral or good for your team, and you're swearing at super reasonable agreeable posters because you're so mad about it

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
man, if its causing you that much emotional distress, maybe it's time for a break from HF

the Leivo signing can be nothing but neutral or good for your team, and you're swearing at super reasonable agreeable posters because you're so mad about it

I LOL'd IRL. Sounds like good advice though. :laugh: again. :laugh:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

i don't care about the leivo signing, it literally means nothing to me.

It's him thinking he's the best thing on this board and only he offers the best insight. He's always been like that. I don't have to agree with everything he says. It's not gospel

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

It's him thinking he's the best thing on this board and only he offers the best insight. He's always been like that. I don't have to agree with everything he says. It's not gospel
that hasn't been my experience.

Would also say that your disparaging line of posts in a thread dedicated to a Leivo signing is pretty clear evidence that the "literally means nothing to me" comment is not true

Leivo turning out is a good thing for your team, you should want that

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
that hasn't been my experience.

Would also say that your disparaging line of posts in a thread dedicated to a Leivo signing is pretty clear evidence that the "literally means nothing to me" comment is not true

Leivo turning out is a good thing for your team, you should want that

again stop telling me it's not your experience. It's what I think, so stop diminishing it, I didn't ask you to tell me what you feel about Gary Nylund.

My response to him had nothing to do with Leivo's contract.

I never once said it was a bad signing, I said people are reading too much into the signing. There's a clear difference. Him signing this contract literally does not change his situation one bit except for the fact that he is making guaranteed money next year. He still has to compete for a spot next year, one he isn't guaranteed to get, especially since Brown isn't playing 4th line minutes again. So the only spot available again will be a 4th line winger spot.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
again stop telling me it's not your experience. It's what I think, so stop diminishing it, I didn't ask you to tell me what you feel about Gary Nylund.

I never once said it was a bad signing, I said people are reading too much into the signing. There's a clear difference. Him signing this contract literally does not change his situation one bit except for the fact that he is making guaranteed money next year. He still has to compete for a spot next year, one he isn't guaranteed to get, especially since Brown isn't playing 4th line minutes again. So the only spot available again will be a 4th line winger spot.

That's a false statement. There will likely be four spots open next year... three wingers and a C spot. Not all three wingers will play on the fourth line. The guy managed 10 points in 13 games last year, he's had 19 points in 46 games... If he becomes a third liner, and manages .5ppg, that's a pretty great guy to have... He hasn't been given much of a chance, but he's played well when he has. Bottom Line, we need cheap contracts, and role players, to fill in our roster around the core. We need guys like him in the pipeline, and luckily we have quite a few now. Maybe he makes it, maybe not, but it's important that we don't give away all our depth, when we lose or trade away UFA's.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

haha bud, if you need a safe space this isn't going to be it. One of the two of you is having an unreasonable tantrum, it's not Gary.

We need reinforcements for next year, Leivo is gonna get a look at being one of those

Reactions: Menzinger

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The Josh Leivo contract extension appears to mean James van Riemsdyk is likely playing his last season with the Maple Leafs.

And if that’'s not entirely certain, then at the least this a terrific and relatively inexpensive insurance policy for general manager Lou Lamoriello, who has yet to be extended himself beyond this season.

Either way, it seems the Leafs win. They win paying rather cheaply buying Leivo out of apparent coming free agency. They win buying a player who can fill JVR's 14 minutes a game. They win getting a middle-of-the-roster player for less than $1 million a year at a time when they’re going to need salary cap space.

Leivo is no van Riemdsyk, but he can be a less expensive, less productive version of him. He is big, with good hands, some power-play skills and offensive creativity. He has upside, the question is: How much?

What's interesting here is that Leivo was willing to take a sure thing in a one-year deal rather than gamble on himself in free agency, which means he likes playing for Lamoriello and coach Mike Babcock, even though he rarely gets utilized.

The money he'’ll make next season represents a greater than 50% raise from this season of inactivity but Leivo provides the Leafs with what they require just as Nikita Soshnikov becomes the likely replacement for pending free agent Leo Komarov. They have someone to move in for JVR, someone to move in for Komarov but right now no one to take the place of centre Tyler Bozak, also a free agent.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's a false statement. There will likely be four spots open next year... three wingers and a C spot. Not all three wingers will play on the fourth line. The guy managed 10 points in 13 games last year, he's had 19 points in 46 games... If he becomes a third liner, and manages .5ppg, that's a pretty great guy to have... He hasn't been given much of a chance, but he's played well when he has. Bottom Line, we need cheap contracts, and role players, to fill in our roster around the core. We need guys like him in the pipeline, and luckily we have quite a few now. Maybe he makes it, maybe not, but it's important that we don't give away all our depth, when we lose or trade away UFA's.

Yep.

There's going to be a LOT of open spots next season.

I don't think Leivo is going to be a core guy, but he's got the puck skills that if you out him in a line with appropriate usage he can produce depth scoring.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
wonder where he will play next season. maybe on the 2nd line with nylander and marner?

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017

This is a major problem with these boards. A group of posters on here that if you don't agree with them they are free to name call without repercussion. Then the group support each other like a rabid Wolfpack. Stick to your guns 246. You are not wrong regarding Leivo. If he's in your lineup you aren't very good. Babcock agrees with us on this one.

Reactions: francis246

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This makes all kinds of sense.

No offense, Francis, I have nothing against you as a poster, but you are clearly letting the discussion get to you. It happens to all of us at times, but to take a step back from it isn't the worst suggestion.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If he's in your lineup you aren't very good. Babcock agrees with us on this one.
You're basically saying here:

1) That our depth isn't very good. Meanwhile, everything supports the opposite.
2) That Babcock would think that a lineup's quality depends on how good one of the depth players is.
3) That Babcock doesn't like Leivo. Meanwhile, not long ago Babcock went out of his way to bring up Leivo on a question about Soshnikov, to point out that he is an NHL player that belongs in a top 9, but that there's no spot for him right now on our team.

Your downfall is the quality of your posts, nothing else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Stuff like this is why people don't respect you, not that you don't agree with the popular opinions. You're basically saying here:

1) That our depth isn't very good. Meanwhile, everything supports the opposite.
2) That Babcock would think that a lineup's quality depends on how good one of the depth players is.
3) That Babcock doesn't like Leivo. Meanwhile, not long ago Babcock went out of his way to bring up Leivo on a question about Soshnikov, to point out that he is an NHL player that belongs in a top 9, but that there's no spot for him right now on our team.

Your downfall is the quality of your posts, nothing else.
How does anything support the opposite? The minute he can Babcock removes Leivo from the lineup. The minute he can he takes players out of the lineup that weren’t original. There is no extended looks because he just doesn’t have faith.

Babcock believes in 4 lines. Look at minutes doled out. He definitely looks at quality top to bottom.

What Babcock says and what he does are often the opposite. You’ve got a fan base and media whom Babcock verbally plays too then does the opposite.

Reactions: francis246

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
How does anything support the opposite?
Because we have Connor Brown on our fourth line. Beyond him, we have some of the very best AHL players available. Our depth is one of the absolutely best in the league. Arguing otherwise is ridiculous.

The minute he can Babcock removes Leivo from the lineup. The minute he can he takes players out of the lineup that weren’t original. There is no extended looks because he just doesn’t have faith.
So when I say it's wrong to say our depth isn't good, this is what you counter with? Nothing here has any bearing on whether or not our depth is good. It's all about how Leivo compares to established high quality players that end up pushing him out of the lineup.

because he just doesn’t have faith.
This is worth repeating. Leivo is getting pushed out by established high-end players, and you think the only reason why Leivo doesn't get pushed into the lineup on their expense is because Babcock have no faith in him.

And then you wonder why people don't respect you as a poster.

Babcock believes in 4 lines. Look at minutes doled out. He definitely looks at quality top to bottom.
And this is supposed to say that Babcock doesn't think his team is good if the wrong guy ends up on the fourth line?

Btw, Martin and Moore generally play less than 10 minutes.

What Babcock says and what he does are often the opposite. You’ve got a fan base and media whom Babcock verbally plays too then does the opposite.
You are welcome to provide examples. Otherwise this is just an hypothesis.

We have two pieces of evidence on this subject. One is that Leivo isn't getting into the lineup over Connor Brown or Mitch Marner, who have been his direct competition. That's just common sense, and shows us nothing regarding what Babcock thinks of him.

The other is that Babcock expresses that he likes him. We can be skeptical about that, for sure, but it's certainly more evidence in favor of Leivo than against him.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yep.

There's going to be a LOT of open spots next season.

I don't think Leivo is going to be a core guy, but he's got the puck skills that if you out him in a line with appropriate usage he can produce depth scoring.

Yup. It seems so obvious that with so many spots to fill, as long as Leivo might be one of the best possibilities to fill one of those spots, losing him would not be good news and having him locked up is great news!

I can't remember exactly I first said this (and I'm certainly not the only one who's said it) but with this new regime, the shipping out of the old guard and stockpiling of picks etc., training camp should be just off the charts interesting and competitive in the not too distant future. It's looking now like next spring will be that time!

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

Does the name Gary Nylund give you nightmares?

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Because we have Connor Brown on our fourth line. Beyond him, we have some of the very best AHL players available. Our depth is one of the absolutely best in the league. Arguing otherwise is ridiculous.

So when I say it's wrong to say our depth isn't good, this is what you counter with? Nothing here has any bearing on whether or not our depth is good. It's all about how Leivo compares to established high quality players that end up pushing him out of the lineup.

This is worth repeating. Leivo is getting pushed out by established high-end players, and you think the only reason why Leivo doesn't get pushed into the lineup on their expense is because Babcock have no faith in him.

And then you wonder why people don't respect you as a poster.

And this is supposed to say that Babcock doesn't think his team is good if the wrong guy ends up on the fourth line?

Btw, Martin and Moore generally play less than 10 minutes.

You are welcome to provide examples. Otherwise this is just an hypothesis.

We have two pieces of evidence on this subject. One is that Leivo isn't getting into the lineup over Connor Brown or Mitch Marner, who have been his direct competition. That's just common sense, and shows us nothing regarding what Babcock thinks of him.

The other is that Babcock expresses that he likes him. We can be skeptical about that, for sure, but it's certainly more evidence in favor of Leivo than against him.
Based on what do we have good depth? Josh Leivo is next in line and can’t crack the lineup. Ben Smith leads the AHL in scoring. The depth is a fan base fantasy.

Again I’m not sure why i would care about respect as a poster from you or anyone else. I’m just stating my opinion and why I have that opinion. Josh Leivo is not an NHL player and Mike Babcocks actions point to that fact.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Based on what do we have good depth? Josh Leivo is next in line and can’t crack the lineup. Ben Smith leads the AHL in scoring. The depth is a fan base fantasy.

Again I’m not sure why i would care about respect as a poster from you or anyone else. I’m just stating my opinion and why I have that opinion. Josh Leivo is not an NHL player and Mike Babcocks actions point to that fact.

Yet he's played a bunch of games in the NHL, he's on an NHL team's roster, he has an NHL contract and that contract was just extended. Hmm, I dunno man, that sounds like an NHL player to me.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Yet he's played a bunch of games in the NHL, he's on an NHL team's roster, he has an NHL contract and that contract was just extended. Hmm, I dunno man, that sounds like an NHL player to me.
Lol injury replacement whom Babcock can’t wait to get out of the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad