Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
And turnover the puck less.

Both are things that can be improved over time as players mature and as they are coached.

Reactions: dood

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
A giveaway per game is really bad, though. Last season, among forwards only 5 players in the entire league averaged a giveaway per game or more. And all of those players played significantly more minutes than what Ho-Sang is currently playing.

Now, I'm not saying he can't improve or that every single one of his giveaways lead to scoring chances against. But in the context of why a coach might not have confidence in playing him as much, and why he might be the first the coach looks at to bench, it stands out quite easily.

You also have to consider that veterans -- whether fair or not -- will always get more rope. A guy who has been in the league 4+ seasons will likely get a lot more chances to redeem himself for mistakes than a rookie with less than 30 games total in the league.

It's also a balancing act, where a coach may tolerate risky play if the reward is there (ie. the player is lighting it up). But if the player is making a lot of errors or playing a risky game AND there's not much actual production coming from that play, he'll be less likely to look the other way.

Tavares has a bad habit of being among the league leaders in giveaways each season. But he makes up for it with raw production. Ho-Sang's essentially doing what Tavares does (a lot of giveaways), but without the high end production to make up for it.

(Again, I'm saying all this stuff above in the context of why WEIGHT probably doesn't give Ho-Sang much rope. Not a commentary on Ho-Sang in general)

I thought giveaway numbers were a lot higher? Actually, I had to research because I was sure. https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-giveaways-statistic/2016/ 1 giveaway per game is not a bad stat at all and most of the studs are up there because of the sheer fact they have the puck so much. When you look at giveaways per 60 it is even worse. I count 20 (played at least half a season) players that averaged more than a giveaway per game. So I have to disagree that Ho-Sang's 1 giveaway per game, normally in the offensive zone, is a glaringly bad stat in and of itself. I get what you are saying about production, but JT started out the season slow, I think it's just a matter of time with Ho-Sang and finding the right linemates. I think if you keep Ho-Sang, Bailey and Beauvillier together all season you'll see a decent uptick in production.

Of course I understand the notion that Vets get a longer rope. I just think, in that situation, Lee's turnover was absolutely brutal and could possibly be worse than all of Ho-Sang's put together. In the end, I'm not going to go back and forth about it. It's way better in Islander's country then Capuano's knack for obliterating rookie's confidence. I'm glad Weight is playing the rookies more, I just don't think, in this NHL, guys like Beauvillier and Ho-Sang should be sitting too much. I'm all for teaching moments...I just hope it doesn't become too much of an unwarranted habit.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
He needs to shoot more.
He needs to get the F off when his 45 second shift is over, not go for a skate.

Oh, and the anger is not directed at you Seafoam but at Ho Sang. His overstaying shifts are becoming egregious. I checked it out and he is repeat offender.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Coaching decisions re: young players like JHS and Pulock have to be considered in light of not just that individual player right now. That player's long term development matters. And the messages being sent to the entire team are important too. To a coaching staff, playing within the system is most important, and things like defensive deficiencies and bad decisions with the puck can only be accepted up to a certain point. Hopefully what the coaches do is best for the kids in the long-term and the team in the short term.

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
doug weight on ho-sang
(@BComptonNHL) <a href=""

<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Isles?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Isles</a></p>&mdash; Brian Compton (@BComptonNHL) <a href=""
Isles

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I just hope that if Ho-Sang is back in the line-up, it wont be for Beauvillier but for Chimera.

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Beauvilier-Barzal-Bailey
Ladd-Nelson-Ho-Sang
Kulemin(or Chimera)-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
That 3rd line is so much more dangerous with JHS in. It's a long season and I think he'll get his chances but hopefully he plays himself into that role.

I can't totally disagree with him being scratched at this point as he is somewhat of a liability but hopefully that all gets worked out and he gets in there. Very soon.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Just a bump
I don't watch the SOUNDTIGERS but just looked in on basic player stats. JHS in 28 games has very similar numbers to MDC if compared to the 42 game total of MDC. Easy math since its 50 percent more games played. There would only be a couple goals and less than a handful of assists more for Josh. He is so dynamic do any Tigers watchers have a view on why he is not tearing it up down there. He seemed to be fine with the speed of the NHL game.In the AHL why is he not controlling the play nightly. I see he only has 31 shots in 28 games too. Now that's a problem . He was sent down to correct mistakes and become a better all around player I can only guess. Is there any good news ? The 5-11-16 in 28 games seems low . Maybe he is the defensive forward of the year. That would answer everything.

SMG LGI

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Just a bump
I don't watch the SOUNDTIGERS but just looked in on basic player stats. JHS in 28 games has very similar numbers to MDC if compared to the 42 game total of MDC. Easy math since its 50 percent more games played. There would only be a couple goals and less than a handful of assists more for Josh. He is so dynamic do any Tigers watchers have a view on why he is not tearing it up down there. He seemed to be fine with the speed of the NHL game.In the AHL why is he not controlling the play nightly. I see he only has 31 shots in 28 games too. Now that's a problem . He was sent down to correct mistakes and become a better all around player I can only guess. Is there any good news ? The 5-11-16 in 28 games seems low . Maybe he is the defensive forward of the year. That would answer everything.

SMG LGI
Seen him play three times and he wasnt good in any of them, just over handling puck and numerous turnovers. Sound Tigers arent great and dont have alot of talent at center to play with him either in fairness.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
I went to the sound tigers game today .

Ho-sang did not look like a threat for 3/4 of the game.
He definitely doesn’t have the jump he had when he was with the Isles last season.

He did have a breakaway which drew a penalty late in the game , but he really did not look too good

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I went to the sound tigers game today .

Ho-sang did not look like a threat for 3/4 of the game.
He definitely doesn’t have the jump he had when he was with the Isles last season.

He did have a breakaway which drew a penalty late in the game , but he really did not look too good

i just have a bad feeling about this whole situation. almost like he's going to be over coached and never have his original offensive flair

Reactions: C24

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
i just have a bad feeling about this whole situation. almost like he's going to be over coached and never have his original offensive flair

Like they are trying to change him, suck the life out of him, turn him into a robot, train him like a dog, take away his individualism,take away his zest for life , his spark , exactly like what a wife does.

SMG LGI

Reactions: C24

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland

My thoughts also. Some guys are built for defense and some guys are built for offense and you can try and improve on your deficiencies but you cannot change the player. My biggest fear is that he is in Snow's dog house like Nino was(not saying it was right or wrong with Nino) and he will trade Ho-Sang away for peanuts and we will see him shine with another team. Outside of Snow being afraid to pull the trigger on a blockbuster or mini-blockbuster(perhaps because of the Vanek trade), Snow's stubbornness is his biggest downfall.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Just a bump

SMG LGI

could be depressed because he is being unjustly subjected to Bridgeport

yup, eventually the Islanders are going to get rid of him and you are going to see him break out on another team and the management (who is probably not going to be here anyway) is going to say "Durr? why did we not see that?"

C24

Jan 25, 2018
could be depressed because he is being unjustly subjected to Bridgeport

yup, eventually the Islanders are going to get rid of him and you are going to see him break out on another team and the management (who is probably not going to be here anyway) is going to say "Durr? why did we not see that?"
Says the guy who does not want Snow fired.....

Reactions: periferal

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Says the guy who does not want Snow fired.....
I dont think Bood even knows what he himself believes or is talking about anymore at this point. One day it is the Isles fans fault they are losing. Then the next day management is unjustly treating a player who will want to leave because of it. The next day he is defending Snow, who is the one making these decisions. What is next? The fans will be at fault for JHS wanting to leave because they didnt do enough to counter the unjust demotion that Garth Snow had no choice but to make?

Reading Bood's posts is like watching the movie Split with an Isles fan as the main character.

Reactions: periferal and C24

C24

Jan 25, 2018
I dont think Bood even knows what he himself believes or is talking about anymore at this point. One day it is the Isles fans fault they are losing. Then the next day management is unjustly treating a player who will want to leave because of it. The next day he is defending Snow, who is the one making these decisions. What is next? The fans will be at fault for JHS wanting to leave because they didnt do enough to counter the unjust demotion that Garth Snow had no choice but to make?

Reading Bood's posts is like watching the movie Split with an Isles fan as the main character.
Lol! He is entertaining. I will give him that.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

where does it say you have to blindly support every move that person makes and it is do or die?

The idiotic "Snow Must Go" movement especially at this point in the year as the Islanders are fighting for a playoff spot, and they are hoping to re-sign JT and Snow was pretty much responsible for getting the Islanders Barzal is about the dumbest thing imaginable

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
where does it say you have to blindly support every move that person makes and it is do or die?

The idiotic "Snow Must Go" movement especially at this point in the year as the Islanders are fighting for a playoff spot, and they are hoping to re-sign JT and Snow was pretty much responsible for getting the Islanders Barzal is about the dumbest thing imaginable
So just leave Snow alone until we get in the playoffs because the billboard is distracting the team? Back to back shutouts and all is right with the world. :help:

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
So just leave Snow alone until we get in the playoffs because the billboard is distracting the team? Back to back shutouts and all is right with the world. :help:

I was against the anti-Snow thing before the shutouts

Isles1966

Oct 14, 2017
I would have to know if JHS is improving on his 200 ft game, keeping his shift times resposible. The little things will get him back to the show. Playing with Nhl centers will make him more willing to pass the puck rather than skate it end to end because he knows he will likely get it passed back. Bridgeport centers will not really help his offence numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce