Josh Bailey is 5th in Scoring... (Up to 2nd as of 12/30)

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Nick Foligno finished top 10 in scoring, as did Hudler

btw not saying Justin Bailey is in the same league as Hudler, no disrespect to Jiri
He honestly could be, though. Hudler was a solid offensive player, but was never the kind of guy you build a line around; I'd say the same goes for Bailey.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
He honestly could be, though. Hudler was a solid offensive player, but was never the kind of guy you build a line around; I'd say the same goes for Bailey.

Yeah it’s not like Hudler was some elite player

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
How many average players are going to come out of the Islanders system and tank soon after? Moulson, Paranteau, Okposo, Nielson, Streit, Grabner. Now Lee and Bailey.

Eventually hfboards will notice the common denominator and dont give me that crap about different lines for 3% of the games. Anything and everything goes through Tavares and if he was on a decent team/franchise, he could easily be fighting with Crosby for best in the world over the past decade.
grabner already tanked on the isles. Once he got healthy he started scoring again (for the rangers).

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
My question to Isles fans and others who have watched him a ton is, how do you explain it? Did you see signs of this coming before this season? He is a former 9th overall pick who looked like he was rushed and just never put it all together. How has he put it all together?

I think Bailey has always had the talent to be a 50-60 point guy in the right situation, he generally showed spurts of it here and there. In terms of his production now no I would never expect it. I think part of the problem with Bailey is the Islanders basically used his caphit his rookie 18 year old season which hindered him for a bunch of years and then she sort of got slotted as a middle 6 winger(many times to the detriment of his statline).

As for what is working this year I just think the combination of 2 linemates that require alot of attention(Tavares and Lee) and an above average hockey IQ, that extra second to second and a half allows him to make good plays(since he is generally the forgotten man of defensive coverage). it's a basic case for Bailey he either tries to get it to the net so Lee can tip it, pass off to Tavares or pass to the defense who have an open lane for the shot(many times where they get the puck to Lee)

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
How many average players are going to come out of the Islanders system and tank soon after? Moulson, Paranteau, Okposo, Nielson, Streit, Grabner. Now Lee and Bailey.

Eventually hfboards will notice the common denominator and dont give me that crap about different lines for 3% of the games. Anything and everything goes through Tavares and if he was on a decent team/franchise, he could easily be fighting with Crosby for best in the world over the past decade.
You need to define “decent team/franchise” and let us know how that apples to how players actually play. Do you seriously think that players play differently when they’re in a crappy arena with a car in the corner? Or it still a 200x85 slab of ice?

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Lee is an average player? I know scoring is up, but ...
Okposo almost died last year, but he will be fine and is not a product of Tavares.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Hell sign a friendly contract. He has a young baby, has his home here, and meshes with the franchise player. Anything more than 5x6 ill be floored. He wont hold this season over the isles head. Thats what i believe.

Now if theres a team or two that will bring him into the 7-8 range because of this season then hed be stupid not to take it, but the grass is not always greener. Even with more money. He doesnt strike me as the cash over everything type of guy. At all. But i dont see any scenario where the Isles entertain his services for anything more than 6.25 per long term.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

If only the NYI were as decent a franchise as your avalanche. If only...

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Yes, contract year. Yes, JT. But the bottom line here is chemistry. Watch JT, Bailey and Lee play together a bit this year. This is not the first time they have played together yet this year is completely different. After playing on and off with each other the last couple of years prior, it seems they finally have developed a chemistry where they just know where the other guy will be. No look passes like no line I have ever watched on the Islanders in my 35 or so years as a fan. It isn't just JT. Bailey and Lee work incredibly well together also. Add Barzal on the power play, who has great chemistry with anyone on the ice with him and you have a breakout year for Lee, Bailey and on pace for a career year for JT even.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
This dude is nine points away from surpassing his career high in points.

If he somehow wins the Art Ross, he would be the most random winner in years or ever, no?

OccasionalPoster

Nov 18, 2017
Who is the last player to have such an anomalous* season? This is unreal.

* Currently stating this as anomalous. Will become a breakout if it persists for more than a season.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Extended his points streak to 10 games. 18 points in that time. Remains tied with JT for 2nd in scoring in the league. Leads the league in assists. 7 points shy of his careeer high and we're not at the halfway point yet. Currently pacing for 106 points, which would be tied with Kane's Hart season as the highest point total of the past 5 years (12/13 - 16/17).

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Who is the last player to have such an anomalous* season? This is unreal.

* Currently stating this as anomalous. Will become a breakout if it persists for more than a season.
I was trying to think of a skilled 30-40 pt player, who after 7/8 yrs in the league busted out offensively and was able to keep producing at a high level.

Bailey had always shown flashes of high skill and he has gone through really good stretches of play on a line with Nielsen and Okposo. These last 1 and 1/2 seasons have just been on another level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad