Josh Bailey is 5th in Scoring... (Up to 2nd as of 12/30)

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Well here we are two days past Christmas and Josh Bailey is on pace for 106 points.

With two points today (1+1) he now has 48 in 37.

Kucherov 51
Bailey 48
Tavares 48
McDavid 45
Stamkos 45

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's sort of funny Bailey(and Tavares for that matter) got an assist on Barzal's goal yet he wasn't on the ice

If you notice he was the guy who handed it off to Barzal.

By the way Bailey winning the Art Ross would be hilarious

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It's very rare to see a player have this kind of jump in production at such a point in their career. 10th season and 28 years old, his career high of 56 points is going to be shattered in short order.

My question to Isles fans and others who have watched him a ton is, how do you explain it? Did you see signs of this coming before this season? He is a former 9th overall pick who looked like he was rushed and just never put it all together. How has he put it all together?

Let's say he finishes this season with 80+ points, which looks more realistic than not at this point. Do you expect him to continue this level of production (or similar) in the future or does this season look like lightning in a bottle rather than an evolutionary step in Bailey's development?

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
It's very rare to see a player have this kind of jump in production at such a point in their career. 10th season and 28 years old, his career high of 56 points is going to be shattered in short order.

My question to Isles fans and others who have watched him a ton is, how do you explain it? Did you see signs of this coming before this season? He is a former 9th overall pick who looked like he was rushed and just never put it all together. How has he put it all together?

Let's say he finishes this season with 80+ points, which looks more realistic than not at this point. Do you expect him to continue this level of production (or similar) in the future or does this season look like lightning in a bottle rather than an evolutionary step in Bailey's development?
He completely changed the way he plays. He used to overthink things which lead to delayed playmaking. Every move was a second behind. Now, he plays on instinct.

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
My question to Isles fans and others who have watched him a ton is, how do you explain it?

80% John Tavares, 20% Bailey pulling his head out of his *** and playing the way he was always capable of.

Did you see signs of this coming before this season?

He was getting better over the past two seasons but nothing to indicate this type of production.

Do you expect him to continue this level of production (or similar) in the future or does this season look like lightning in a bottle rather than an evolutionary step in Bailey's development?

If he stays with Tavares, maybe he can continue at this level for another year or two. Signing him to a 5+ year deal is buyer beware, especially teams not named the Islanders.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Just dont know, I'm waiting for Bailey to go Ice cold for like 20 games and it's not happening. The guy does have some soft hands and is pretty damm patient with the puck. Who the heck knows what is happening

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Bailey has always showed signs of amazing skill on and off. Basically this year he is just on all the time. Plus he is shooting a bit more.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Tavares isn't just getting himself paid this offseason. Bailey should buy JT a boat or something with his next contract.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Just dont know, I'm waiting for Bailey to go Ice cold for like 20 games and it's not happening. The guy does have some soft hands and is pretty damm patient with the puck. Who the heck knows what is happening

Contract year.. no other explanation needed.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
As a Ranger fan I have to admit this Isles team is pretty likeable. Good for them. After years of taking shortcuts they seem to have built a good team.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
As a Ranger fan I have to admit this Isles team is pretty likeable. Good for them. After years of taking shortcuts they seem to have built a good team.

Except for the defense and goaltending ;)

I'm less worried about the defense (I actually figured there would be a lot of issues with Pelech, Mayfield and Pulock really playing their first season) and there's a bunch of viable prospects almost ready (Toews, Aho, Salo and possible Vende Sompel or Wothershpoon).

It's goaltending that worries me a bunch. A year or two ago there was a glut of quality starters and backups available. Now at the worst possible time for the Isles there isn't.

Re: Bailey. Always been a good two-way player. What was brought up before (overthinking) is probably the answer. He came into the league as a reputation as being a good leader and playmaker. He's only shown glimpses of that before last season. Since then he's been a solid hockey player, though the production is certainly surprising. Should be interesting to see what he's going to sign for, whether with the Isles or not. 5.5 per should be enough but some team might give him more, which would be a mistake (methinks).

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
How many average players are going to come out of the Islanders system and tank soon after? Moulson, Paranteau, Okposo, Nielson, Streit, Grabner. Now Lee and Bailey.

Eventually hfboards will notice the common denominator and dont give me that crap about different lines for 3% of the games. Anything and everything goes through Tavares and if he was on a decent team/franchise, he could easily be fighting with Crosby for best in the world over the past decade.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Shortcuts? If anything we took the very, very, VERY long road.
Haha. Sorry. I just meant the way they played for a while. They had to make-do with castoffs from other teams. So they tried gimmicky defensive systems and stir-the-pot, chip-on-the-shoulder type players.
Now they have some good talent and pride. It shows.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Haha. Sorry. I just meant the way they played for a while. They had to make-do with castoffs from other teams. So they tried gimmicky defensive systems and stir-the-pot, chip-on-the-shoulder type players.
Now they have some good talent and pride. It shows.

Different owners changed entire outlook of team..

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

He has definitely evolved his game, but I see him as more of a 65 point player after this year if he sticks with Tavares. A lot of this is chemistry but his decision making in the offensive zone is just quicker and more confident. Josh has always been an excellent passer but has never had the confidence to make the ballsy plays. Looks like he’s trying to develop a one timer too now.

Bailey has always been a solid player and everyone saw the potential was there which is why he was so frustrating.

Reactions: schnapshot

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
How many average players are going to come out of the Islanders system and tank soon after? Moulson, Paranteau, Okposo, Nielson, Streit, Grabner. Now Lee and Bailey.

Eventually hfboards will notice the common denominator and dont give me that crap about different lines for 3% of the games. Anything and everything goes through Tavares and if he was on a decent team/franchise, he could easily be fighting with Crosby for best in the world over the past decade.

This is just an odd post. It's true that PAP and Moulson were Tavares products. Okposo was to a certain extent, but his dropoff has other explanations. But the rest? Nielsen is 33. Streit had some good seasons in PHI until he got old. Grabner is the same inconsistent speedster he ever was.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He has definitely evolved his game, but I see him as more of a 65 point player after this year if he sticks with Tavares. A lot of this is chemistry but his decision making in the offensive zone is just quicker and more confident. Josh has always been an excellent passer but has never had the confidence to make the ballsy plays. Looks like he’s trying to develop a one timer too now.

Bailey has benefited a lot from Barzal on the PP too.

If someone pays him much over 6, they're going to regret it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad