Value of: Josh Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He is not a playmaker but he can score and that has value in this league. Again looking at the 64 Forwards who make between 5 and 6M Cap hit He has more goals than
Taylor hall
Phil Danault
Jordan Stall
Bryan Rust
Joe Pavalski
jaden Swartz
Jordan Eberle
Michael backlund
Andrew Mangiapane
Huberdeau

and a bunch more

Are they all washed up too?
That list isn't even close to being a fair comparison to Anderson. Let me know when Anderson has a MVP or can shut down some of the best NHL players or has a 115 point season. Poor poor list as there is no comparison on it.

Hyman is a better comparison at the same dollars and even than Hyman does more except the fighting part but puts up way better numbers.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
That list isn't even close to being a fair comparison to Anderson. Let me know when Anderson has a MVP or can shut down some of the best NHL players or has a 115 point season. Poor poor list as there is no comparison on it.

Hyman is a better comparison at the same dollars and even than Hyman does more except the fighting part but puts up way better numbers.
You’re doing it wrong! You’re not supposed to look at anything but goals! And intangibles/60.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You’re doing it wrong! You’re not supposed to look at anything but goals! And intangibles/60.
Isn’t it funny how that only works with Hab’s fans? The very best one is how their players get a free pass for their terrible stats ( see Edmundson and his stats) because they are on a bad team but in their proposals they don’t make the same allowances ( See Hart trade proposal) I am fine with that but use the same measuring formula with all players not just your own.

The one thing I do agree with Hab’s fans on is fans of other teams keep bringing up Anderson injuries and he been healthy for a while now. I get it as fans Iove to overvalue their own but to be credible fans need to be objective and see it from both sides. I am guilty of this as well. I would love to Have Anderson on the Oilers. He would be our best right winger but his contract is a concern. Players that play the hard physical game decline at an earlier age

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Josh Anderson has more goals than Panarin.

Panarin’s AAV is almost $12M.

Josh is great value!!

(It’s a good thing I always wear tinfoil around my head. My IQ might otherwise leak out reading the homerism and awful logic in support of Anderson).

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
It doesn't work that way. McDavid will even slump when the linemates don't gel with him. There has to be a fit
yea i know chemistry helps but just saying anyone playing with McDavid will have boosted stats that guy his the best player ive seen play since Lemieux

Im sure Anderson's stats would be alot better if hes center was Connor and not Dvorak/Drouin i do prefer Hyman to Josh but i just think alot of people crap on Anderson for no reason hes not a cap dump hes a good player my only knock on him is i wish he was more consistent

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It’s kinda weird though. The rumors start from LeBrun who hears out of Montreal that “teams are asking about Anderson”. Then Montreal reporters go back to Hughes who was presumably the source to LeBrun to get this quote. It’s like a snake eating its own tail.
I don’t see the point you’re trying to make. You have a thread full of Habs fans that says they like the player, have no issue with his cap hit and want him to stay in Montreal. Then you have a bunch of fans from other teams saying « yeah but he’s not worth his contract you’d have to pay to get rid of it and retain a whole bunch »

If it makes you sleep better, then yes, Anderson is overrated, overpaid and we could probably get a 3rd or 4th if we retain half of his contract for another 4 years. We’ll even send him to the team of your choice so we can finally close this thread down.

Reactions: c3z4r

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I don’t see the point you’re trying to make. You have a thread full of Habs fans that says they like the player, have no issue with his cap hit and want him to stay in Montreal. Then you have a bunch of fans from other teams saying « yeah but he’s not worth his contract you’d have to pay to get rid of it and retain a whole bunch »

If it makes you sleep better, then yes, Anderson is overrated, overpaid and we could probably get a 3rd or 4th if we retain half of his contract for another 4 years. We’ll even send him to the team of your choice so we can finally close this thread down.
I think you quoted the wrong person. This has nothing to do with my post.

Great, keep Anderson. No one was asking for him, just Habs fans trying to unload him.

Reactions: Snowman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Josh Anderson’s comparable to me isn’t Tanner Jeannot, but Nick Paul and it all goes back to the contract.

Nick Paul is a valuable piece and so is Anderson. But Anderson is overpaid by about $2.5 million compared to Paul and is miscast as a front line player and signed for a long time.

That alone is going to knee cap the value Montreal hopes to get back in a trade because a team would be committing to the bad AAV Bergevin locked in.

I’d ballpark Josh Anderson’s value at somewhere like a 3rd round pick and an early to mid 20s forward off his ELC, not a boat load of draft picks.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Great, keep Anderson. No one was asking for him, just Habs fans trying to unload him.
I think non-Habs fans see his name in proposals and think we want to dump him.

The reality is Habs fans value him and think he could fetch something interesting for a rebuild, hence, his name is in proposals. We aren't suggesting we get anything for, says, Armia, Hoffman or Gallagher, because we actually do want to unload them. Please take one.

Reactions: c3z4r

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Josh Anderson is shit on HFboard, against the grain of multiple credible NHL insiders that say there's demand for such a player.

And when he'll get traded, then all the so called HFboard experts will be shown how actual real insiders are in the know and them not...

I say a Petry kind of deal, where Habs receive a less paid and younger player that's gonna reveal himself with the good cares of MSL. Just like Matheson...

Reactions: pth2

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

The reality is Habs fans value him and think he could fetch something interesting for a rebuild, hence, his name is in proposals. We aren't suggesting we get anything for, says, Armia, Hoffman or Gallagher, because we actually do want to unload them. Please take one.
He clearly has more value to Habs fans than the rest of the league. At this point after several attempts by Habs fans to find any interest it’s clear that there is none. At least not at the price of his contract.

Josh Anderson is shit on HFboard, against the grain of multiple credible NHL insiders that say there's demand for such a player.

And when he'll get traded, then all the so called HFboard experts will be shown how actual real insiders are in the know and them not...

I say a Petry kind of deal, where Habs receive a less paid and younger player that's gonna reveal himself with the good cares of MSL. Just like Matheson...
Hughes tells LeBrun they were offered a 1st In a sad attempt to pump his value at the TDL. LeBrun puts it out there like the good little monkey he is. Habs reporters go back to Hughes and he confirms. Habs fans “there has been multiple sources”!

It’s just one source. Just Hughes. That’s it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

To me it makes no sense for the Habs, while they are rebuilding and bringing in young players, to move Anderson. He can play on any line. He’s big. He’s tough. He will stand up for his teammates. His leadership to a rebuilding team is of more value than his value in trade.

Reactions: Scintillating10

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The Petry comparison is one I've made in the past, as well.

Of course, Anderson might fetch a promising young player and the only response will be "see, he didn't fetch a 1st!"

To me it makes no sense for the Habs, while they are rebuilding and bringing in young players, to move Anderson. He can play on any line. He’s big. He’s tough. He will stand up for his teammates. His leadership to a rebuilding team is of more value than his value in trade.
I think his biggest asset is actually his speed, it's rare on big guys, and it means he can add size without slowing down a fast team. A guy like Latendresse added size and physicality, but his lack of speed was always an issue. That's not a problem with Anderson.

The Anderson conversation are getting tiring, though, when you have Habs fans saying "we're open to listening to offers for pry-away value", and other fans saying "we'll give you a 6th in 2027 if you retain 50% and take back a bad contract".

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Petry comparison is one I've made in the past, as well.

Of course, Anderson might fetch a promising young player and the only response will be "see, he didn't fetch a 1st!"

I think his biggest asset is actually his speed, it's rare on big guys, and it means he can add size without slowing down a fast team. A guy like Latendresse added size and physicality, but his lack of speed was always an issue. That's not a problem with Anderson.

The Anderson conversation are getting tiring, though, when you have Habs fans saying "we're open to listening to offers for pry-away value", and other fans saying "we'll give you a 6th in 2027 if you retain 50% and take back a bad contract".
And we fans don’t make the trades. We have fun discussing them though.
And discussing Anderson is interesting. He definitely has the combination of skills and size to play on any line. But his contract is one where (on a team that’s trying to win now) placed him in the top six. Yes, one of the top clubs might trade for him to play that role. I just see the return being not what the Habs’ need while they’re rebuilding. So they should keep him.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
But his contract is one where (on a team that’s trying to win now) placed him in the top six. Yes, one of the top clubs might trade for him to play that role.
Name me a single top club where it would make sense for them to acquire Josh Anderson and stick him in their top 6.

PS: I’ve asked a lot of Anderson supporters this question and none of them could provide an answer for some reason.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Am I crazy for rather having Brandon Gallagher then Anderson? If Gallagher is healthy ( 2020 season healthy ) then he’s a far better player then Anderson imo he is one of the biggest pests in the league, has a offensive game and is tenacious on the forecheck/Backcheck.

He’s been pretty bad the past 2 seasons but if he can bounce back then I’d take him.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Am I crazy for rather having Brandon Gallagher then Anderson? If Gallagher is healthy ( 2020 season healthy ) then he’s a far better player then Anderson imo he is one of the biggest pests in the league, has a offensive game and is tenacious on the forecheck/Backcheck.

He’s been pretty bad the past 2 seasons but if he can bounce back then I’d take him.
He's yours. For free. I'll even throw in a couple of 3d round picks. No backsies.

Reactions: _vivelequebec_

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
He's yours. For free. I'll even throw in a couple of 3d round picks. No backsies.
Seriously though, Gallagher is an anchor contract. The guy is done - multiple injuries mean he's slow and his shot is gone, and he's gassed after 25 minutes. I expect the Habs to tolerate him for 2 years before buying him out when the cap that this would free up could be put to good use.

The only "not that bad" outcome for Gallagher, from a Habs point of view, is that he gets LTIRed. My biggest concern is that he stays healthy and pulls a "Vlasic" on us (ie, playing till the end of his contract. Badly.) But if he's playing 40 games, is hurt 40 games, and keeps his cap space unavailable for anything better (litterally, anything.), that's a big drain.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Seriously though, Gallagher is an anchor contract. The guy is done - multiple injuries mean he's slow and his shot is gone, and he's gassed after 25 minutes. I expect the Habs to tolerate him for 2 years before buying him out when the cap that this would free up could be put to good use.

The only "not that bad" outcome for Gallagher, from a Habs point of view, is that he gets LTIRed. My biggest concern is that he stays healthy and pulls a "Vlasic" on us (ie, playing till the end of his contract. Badly.) But if he's playing 40 games, is hurt 40 games, and keeps his cap space unavailable for anything better (litterally, anything.), that's a big drain.
Cap aside you believe Anderson at his best is better then Gallagher at his best tho?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Cap aside you believe Anderson at his best is better then Gallagher at his best tho?
Depends on how you define "best". At their best game ever, Anderson is better. But Gallagher's best was being a consistently strong performer every shift of every game, and over a full season I'd take peak Gallagher in my lineup over a full season ahead of peak Anderson. Giving it his all every single shift is also part of the reason Gallagher's so badly beaten up, though, whereas Anderson is better at picking his spots.

Seriously though, Gallagher is an anchor contract. ... gassed after 25 minutes...

Correction Gallagher is gassed after 25 seconds, not 25 minutes. His shifts have to be short, and that means he's now useless on the forecheck. He reminds me of a post-cancer Koivu in that regard: limited endurance is a major limitation to his game. He won't tire out a team in the offensive zone through relentless work. Not anymore.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Depends on how you define "best". At their best game ever, Anderson is better. But Gallagher's best was being a consistently strong performer every shift of every game, and over a full season I'd take peak Gallagher in my lineup over a full season ahead of peak Anderson. Giving it his all every single shift is also part of the reason Gallagher's so badly beaten up, though, whereas Anderson is better at picking his spots.

Correction Gallagher is gassed after 25 seconds, not 25 minutes. His shifts have to be short, and that means he's now useless on the forecheck. He reminds me of a post-cancer Koivu in that regard: limited endurance is a major limitation to his game. He won't tire out a team in the offensive zone through relentless work. Not anymore.
Endurance can be made in the gym he was probably just playing injured

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Name me a single top club where it would make sense for them to acquire Josh Anderson and stick him in their top 6.

PS: I’ve asked a lot of Anderson supporters this question and none of them could provide an answer for some reason.
I think we agree. I don’t see a top team trading for Anderson to play in their top six (which his salary dictates) so any return would be such the Habs would not want. He is a guy who can play on all four lines though. He’s just paid too much for a bottom six role and he isn’t a player a very good team would want in their top six without the Habs taking back money. Just my opinion, of course. But that’s how I see it.
That’s why I think the Habs should keep for their rebuild. He’s ideal during a rebuild.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad