Value of: Josh Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
With Jeannot returning a boatload, what could Habs get for Josh Anderson? He's got 17 goals in 57 games. He's big and fast, hard to play against in playoffs.

A similar player locked up long term Anderson would have higher value. Habs could take contract back as have 20 million coming off their cap this summer.
Jeannot - $800,000.
Anderson - $5,500,000

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I might add, Jeannot is probably going to have a similar contract this summer to what Anderson already has. Given how Tampa gave a lot to get him, they can't easily nickel-and-dime him.

I think Toronto and Carolina should look long and hard to adding Anderson.

I don't see Montreal moving him for less than Jeannot.
Knies, a 2nd and some expiring contract Toronto needs to move out from ?

Jeannot - $800,000.
Anderson - $5,500,000
But Jeannot isn't a UFA/pure rental. He'll get re-signed. For significantly more money.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
He won't make the same. Expect 3-3.5 million. People exaggerate how bad Anderson's contract is (it's acceptable) but the contract situation makes this comparison moot.
I was going to say something between miles Wood and Barclay goodrow in terms of aav, so we are of a like mind. 2-3 years, I think

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Jeannot will turn 26 in May. Anderson will turn 29 in May. For the player type, that's a big difference.

FWIW, Chris Johnston said on his podcast last week, direct quote:

"I don't get the sense the interest is there, quite honestly. That seems to be like a rumor that won't go away out of Montreal, but it hasn't lined up with what I've heard leaguewide, in terms of teams."

~28:34

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Josh Anderson does not have the same value. Anderson has a long injury history and his contract is a risk. He’s getting lots of ice time in Mtl so he has inflated numbers where as he’d be a 3rd liner on a contender and his production will dip. Tampa has overpaid for their target guy the last number of years to try and get them to the finals. Those trades are anomalies compared to other trades and only happen when a team targets one guy and will pay any price for that one guy. No other teams have really paid astronomical prices just because Tampa has.

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I might add, Jeannot is probably going to have a similar contract this summer to what Anderson already has. Given how Tampa gave a lot to get him, they can't easily nickel-and-dime him.

I think Toronto and Carolina should look long and hard to adding Anderson.

I don't see Montreal moving him for less than Jeannot.
Knies, a 2nd and some expiring contract Toronto needs to move out from ?

But Jeannot isn't a UFA/pure rental. He'll get re-signed. For significantly more money.
Knies? No way.

Maybe a Niemela/Robertson level prospect + more for retention.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Knies? No way.

Maybe a Niemela/Robertson level prospect + more for retention.
Retention is a non-starter. And if you downgrade the prospect, upgrade the picks.

Edit: From my POV as a Habs fan, Knies and a second, is pretty much the asking price. And there's no rush from our POV, I actually expect a better market in a year with a rapidly rising cap, and having a solid veteran around while we're adding all these kids is valuable in the meantime.

Last edited:

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I expect Anderson to bring in a silimair return regardless of what the posters think on here. GM'S PAY A PREMIUM for these rare type of players.

Retention is a non-starter. And if you downgrade the prospect, upgrade the picks.

Edit: From my POV as a Habs fan, Knies and a second, is pretty much the asking price. And there's no rush from our POV, I actually expect a better market in a year with a rapidly rising cap, and having a solid veteran around while we're adding all these kids is valuable in the meantime.
Knies is a B+ prospect and a 2nd is pretty much a 3rd on the Leafs I think we can do better than that for Anderson.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

Not interested in Josh Anderson’s contract for free. Not for Knies and a 2nd, not for a 7th, not for future considerations.
Decent player that plays a style that’s hard to find but he is paid far too much for far too long. He is injury prone and part of why his style is so hard to find is it leads to a short career and he is 29.

You are ignoring that even though Tampa overpaid the reason Jeannot had so much value is because he is cost controlled.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Anderson kinda sucks. Ben Chariot does too but he still got a first so I'm not saying it won't happen but Anderson is a prime example of a player who everyone believes plays a certain way because he's big and fast.

He's a guy who is really good on the rush.

That's pretty much his only gimmick. Given his contract, a 1st round pick is all I'd see teams giving up for him. 1st+ if Habs retain.

Reactions: ffsffs1 and McJedi

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
With Jeannot returning a boatload, what could Habs get for Josh Anderson? He's got 17 goals in 57 games. He's big and fast, hard to play against in playoffs.

A similar player locked up long term Anderson would have higher value. Habs could take contract back as have 20 million coming off their cap this summer.
Difference is that Anderson has a bad contract. Jeannot doesn't.

Reactions: Fatass

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I expect Anderson to bring in a silimair return regardless of what the posters think on here. GM'S PAY A PREMIUM for these rare type of players.

Knies is a B+ prospect and a 2nd is pretty much a 3rd on the Leafs I think we can do better than that for Anderson.
I'm trying to stay objective and downgraded my initial ask... but you may well be right.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I'm trying to stay objective and downgraded my initial ask... but you may well be right.
Well I get it, you will get Leaf fans all up in Arms because Knies is their only decent prospect. Thing is, he would be around our 10th best prospect. Nothing special but when their cupboards are so bare he is Bedard.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Ghule, Xhekaj, Hutson, Farrell, Beck, Roy, Mailloux, Slafkovsky , Barron

So yea he would be about our 10th best prospect.
Ghule, Xhekaj, Barron and Slafkovsky are players, not prospects.

Beck, Roy and Mailloux are the difference then - you rate them ahead of Knies, The Athletic staff doesn't (Beck is close at #50, and Mesar and Roy get honorable mentions....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad