Confirmed with Link: Jordan Subban traded for Nic Dowd

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Thought in the last while Subban was looking better. Was really skating well and this might have been why LA was willing to take a flyer on him.

Dowd is a fairly good AHL type. Looked solid on very good Manchester team. However has done nothing at the NHL level. More or less a warm body who reminds me of a more in your face Megna.

Canucks got nothing IMO and gave away some potential in Subban.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Don't mind this trade one bit...Welcome to the club Dowd.
This kid can make plays but I just don't think it will be with a NHL team.

Nothing for nothing trade IMHO

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Honest Subban assessment?

He has a lot of talent but IMO is playing the wrong position. Simply is not big enough or good enough defensively to play that position in the NHL.

His skating ability and shot are NHL-calibre and he plays like a rover and scores goals like a winger. Has some jam and can play with swagger and confidence.

He should have been converted to wing ages ago to see how his skill level played there. The talent and upside are definitely there.

Reactions: DarrenX

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Man.

Knew it was coming eventually, too bad management didn't see more in Subban long term.

Thought with guys like Hutton, Stecher and Pouliot in the system, they'd see the potential in a guy like Subban. Still had a long ways to go before being an NHLer, but the potential is there.

Guess this is to help fill down the middle in the bottom 6 while Horvat/Sutter are still gone.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Trades made out of necessity because of injury don't usually make me happy. Dowd is competent on faceoff duty, that's about the extent of my knowledge of him. Given our two best faceoff men/defensive centers are gone, maybe he is going to be asked to fill that role as a stop gap.

Hopefully this means Chaput goes back to Utica to boost their forward group. Wonder what it means for Burmistrov, though.

Best of luck to Subban in California. I agree he is likely not an NHL player, but there were times - especially in the last two seasons - where I really wish we would have given him a look.

Reactions: MajinBo

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Subban was never going to get a chance here sadly. All the best of luck to him and I hope he makes the NHL to prove Benning wrong.
Prove Benning wrong how?...The final call on who makes the cut at training camp is up to the coaching staff, and at the end of the day,he was never good enough.....Green saw the same flaws in Subbans game that all the other Canuck coaches did.....Best of luck to Jordan in LA.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
At first i thought subban would make it to the show, this year he took a big step backwards imo

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Prove Benning wrong how?...The final call on who makes the cut at training camp is up to the coaching staff, and at the end of the day,he was never good enough.....Green saw the same flaws in Subbans game that all the other Canuck coaches did.....Best of luck to Jordan in LA.

I'm talking purely off him making the NHL. He never got a chance here even when we needed injury fill ins.

If he doesn't make it then so be it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A bit disappointing they couldn't parlay Jordan Subban into something a bit more exciting back when he was rolling offensively at least. He was always going to be on the outs with his lack of reach and stature and suspect approach to defensive hockey. Hard to say his value would've been particularly high at that point either though, as a diminutive offensive Defenceman with serious defensive shortcomings putting up points in the AHL doesn't exactly move the needle as an NHL acquisition until the guy actually proves he can hack it at that level. And he probably never will be able to prove he can hack it at that NHL level as a Defenceman.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is a nothing move and yet people get pissed.

Subban is not a good player. He clearly struggles even at the AHL level.

Saying Subban has potential at this point is pretty laughable.

I think for some, there's a disconnect between the idea of "talent" and "NHL potential" in this case. Jordan Subban obviously has plenty of talent, but at this point...the likelihood of him blossoming into an NHL calibre defenceman in his complete game is beyond slim.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
This is a nothing move and yet people get pissed.

Subban is not a good player. He clearly struggles even at the AHL level.

Saying Subban has potential at this point is pretty laughable.

They could have tried him out as a winger, he has speed and skill along with good offensive instincts. There really would've been no harm in trying

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Wonder how this trade's going over back home in Dowd's Alabama... Can't wait to hear Paterson ask him - is he a Jones or Moore guy?

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
They could have tried him out as a winger, he has speed and skill along with good offensive instincts. There really would've been no harm in trying

Sure I can agree with that. They should have tried in his 2nd year. But not many players are converted in the first place, and less so successfully.

For a purely "offensive defenseman", he didn't even manage to put up all that many points. I think his skill set, such as it is, is vastly overrated and I am extremely skeptical he would have been a successful winger at all.

Mind you, I think Dowd sucks, but this is a pure nothing for nothing trade.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I don’t know if we are allowed to post things here that can be considered heresy so I won’t say anything , but dig further deep in to this. You may find something....
Maybe Subban asked for a change of scenery (trade). Wish he got at least a game but he just doesn't have the defensive game

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't like this trade, but I don't necessarily dislike it. Don't really know much about Dowd but my first thought is that I think Subban has more value on the farm than Dowd who is a pending UFA? We could have kept Subban and see if he takes the (unlikely) next step next summer before he hits waivers. Ah well...

Honest Subban assessment?

Never got a chance with the Canucks but he is coming off a poor camp where he was terrible defensively. Honest opinion is that he has not shown the ability to defend at the NHL level even to an adequate extent. The way he showed at camp/pre-season, it doesn't look like his offensive game can compensate at the NHL level.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
If I see the word “potential” linked to Subban one more time in this thread.....

If this turns out to be the Forsling for peanuts part 2, then we can start the fire ....

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I wasn't a Subban fan, so good riddance to bad rubbish. He was never going to be an NHL defenseman anyway.

Welcome to the team, Dowd. We traded an AHL player for a depth NHL player. I don't mind it. I guess he's sent packing as soon as we ice a healthy lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad