Confirmed with Link: Jordan Subban traded for Nic Dowd

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Knew it was just a matter of time before Subban was moved. Don't really get what dowd brings over any of the mediocre centres we already have.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Sucks that the Canucks have to throw away a prospect because they couldn't acquire depth during the off season.

First of all Subban is no longer a decent prospect. Has regressed in his 3rd pro season.

After 29th place last year, the team is 14-11 while playing decent hockey many nights despite losing Chris Tanev, Alex Edler, Troy Stecher, Loui Eriksson, Eric Gubrandson, Brandon Sutter and now Bo Horvat to injury, all in the first 2 months of the season.

I would say the depth has been better than many here give credit for. Horvat will be very tough as tonight showed but what do you expect?

Reactions: Nomobo

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Subban will break out with the Kings. Some players make better NHLers than AHLers. Dowd is trash, he'll be in Europe next season. Would've rather a 7th round pick.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
This is a good trade.

Nic Dowd is a very serviceable 4th line player in the NHL (can step up to 3rd potentially), and those have value.

Jordan Subban was never going to play meaningful games as a Canuck, and I believe he will never play meaningful time in the NHL at all. The hype is all because of his brothers.

I also suspect this trade was fast tracked because of Horvat's injury. Dowd can play C. Obviously not 1st or 2nd line, but he helps with the depth.

Overall, I think it's good to have gotten some value out of Subban while we could

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Maybe at golf, but he certainly isn't better at ice hockey.
Nic Dowd NHL Stats: 91GP 6G 17A 23PTS -17 175Hits
Brendan Gaunce NHL Stats: 89GP 1G 6A 7PTS -12 148Hits

Dowd puts up more points and is more physical.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Meh. Let's be real. Subban's just not an NHL dman.

Subban is not likely to amount to much, but this is yet another case of us trading a younger player for an older one.

For a rebuilding team, it's amazing how often we trade 22 year olds for 27 year olds and then talk about how we are getting younger.

Dowd has zero value. He defines replacement level. I would rather trade Subban for a 6th round pick or another long-shot (younger) prospect than trade for the kind of player you can get off waivers (again.)

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Knew it was just a matter of time before Subban was moved. Don't really get what dowd brings over any of the mediocre centres we already have.[/QUOTE

I am sure Bad Goalie will be happy. Utica is starving for any decent centres who can play and help develop our forward winger prospects there.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Nic Dowd NHL Stats: 91GP 6G 17A 23PTS -17 175Hits
Brendan Gaunce NHL Stats: 89GP 1G 6A 7PTS -12 148Hits

Dowd puts up more points and is more physical.

Last season he actually got pretty good minutes including PP time, and yeah he put up some points.

This year his ice time has been cut and he has 1 point in 16 games. It's the same kind of story as always. Play a guy 14+ minutes for 70 games with PP time and yeah, he can put up 20 points. Gaunce would too.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
This whole issue could have been avoided had we signed Valk like we should have.

Utica wouldn't need a #1 center, because they'd have one. This is just a dumb move, trying to cover an issue that shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

Really not much to say about this trade but it was a rookie mistake by a GM not to sign their #1 center when they had the chance. The problem is Benning isn't a rookie, so he doesn't have any more excuses.

Last edited:

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
This is a good trade.

Nic Dowd is a very serviceable 4th line player in the NHL (can step up to 3rd potentially), and those have value.

Jordan Subban was never going to play meaningful games as a Canuck, and I believe he will never play meaningful time in the NHL at all. The hype is all because of his brothers.

I also suspect this trade was fast tracked because of Horvat's injury. Dowd can play C. Obviously not 1st or 2nd line, but he helps with the depth.

Overall, I think it's good to have gotten some value out of Subban while we could
I’d take a late round pick over a seat filler any day

Reactions: WTG

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Subban is not likely to amount to much, but this is yet another case of us trading a younger player for an older one.

For a rebuilding team, it's amazing how often we trade 22 year olds for 27 year olds and then talk about how we are getting younger.

Dowd has zero value. He defines replacement level. I would rather trade Subban for a 6th round pick or another long-shot (younger) prospect than trade for the kind of player you can get off waivers (again.)

Subban might have negative value at this point because he's trending as a career AHL'er. It might be easier to lose Dowd on waivers than Subban and clear a useless contract spot. In the meantime he can give us spot NHL duty at centre. It's pretty easy to see why this trade was made.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Ugh, I had such high hopes for Subban. And Los Angeles is a terrible place for him to take his play style. Jesus, I would have rather he got traded to Arizona or Florida. But Los Angeles? If he "makes it" there I will be soundly impressed. Just disappointing news all around.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Subban might have negative value at this point because he's trending as a career AHL'er. It might be easier to lose Dowd on waivers than Subban and clear a useless contract spot. In the meantime he can give us spot NHL duty at centre. It's pretty easy to see why this trade was made.

Then don't trade him.

Also, that's not true at all.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I’d take a late round pick over a seat filler any day
The odds of a late rnd pick making the NHL are about 10%. Probably less.

Nic Dowd is already an NHLer.

It's trading for a guy that has proven he can play in the NHL over magic beans that have a ~10% chance of turning into an NHL player.
I'll take the former any day of the week.

Reactions: DarrenX

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
The odds of a late rnd pick making the NHL are about 10%. Probably less.

Nic Dowd is already an NHLer.

It's trading for a guy that has proven he can play in the NHL over magic beans that have a ~10% chance of turning into an NHL player.
I'll take the former any day of the week.

That is why we should trade all of our 4-7th round draft picks for depth players at the deadline.

Jokes aside, but that's the same type of logic you are using. It's very weak. Just because Subban doesn't have much NHL potential doesn't mean we should trade him for a waiver wire pick up.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
That is why we should trade all of our 4-7th round draft picks for depth players at the deadline.

Jokes aside, but that's the same type of logic you are using. It's very weak. Just because Subban doesn't have much NHL potential doesn't mean we should trade him for a waiver wire pick up.
I didn't say we should trade picks for guys like Dowd. However, if the team is contending for a playoff spot and more, I fully support trading mid and late round picks for guys like Dowd.

In this particular case, Subban has no value. We are fooling ourselves if we think we could have gotten more. He won't have a substantial NHL career. I think getting Dowd is better than getting a 6th or 7th rnd pick, for the asset that we traded.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Then don't trade him.

Also, that's not true at all.

So if you have a player of negative value, you should keep him? I'm not sure what you are arguing here...

He might have value to a GM that is looking for a depth AHL d-man, but these players can be had for cheaper on AHL deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad