Prospect Info: Jordan Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I would think that Hughes has already spoken to Harris about his intentions. If Harris told the team that he is absolutely not signing with them, he’ll most likely be included in one of the trades leading up the deadline. If he’s still a Hab after the trade deadline, I’m pretty confident that he will sign with us.

Do we have to sign him after a certain date?

Because if he wanted to be a hab, I'm sure he'd have signed a contract by now. Aren't ELC contracts with all the maximums pretty standard

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Do we have to sign him after a certain date?

Because if he wanted to be a hab, I'm sure he'd have signed a contract by now. Aren't ELC contracts with all the maximums pretty standard
If he had signed his ELC already, Harris would have lost his NCAA eligibility. He will not sign until the end of his college season.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I can agree with Ducharme's inability to manage youth as a problem. But signing plugs? I don't agree with. Every team does it

I think it's not so much that they signed plugs, but that they brought in veterans who weren't very good, played them in spite of rough patches, and sat younger players regardless of performance. KK left because he was sat for Staal, and, outside of maybe 8 playoff games it was a crazy choice. Romanov sat for a variety of weak players, but that was more reasonable as it was his first year in NA and he wasn't obviously better than the journeymen coming through then (he is now). Most NHL coaches will go with veterans over young guys if it's not a complete slam dunk, but Martin, Therrien, Julien, and even Ducharme were even more veteran-fixated. It must have killed Kotkaniemi to try to find Staal out on the ice while he was sitting out. Harris might have had visions of sitting in the pressbox watching someone like Savard failing to stop opposing forwards.

I'm not knocking Perry, he earned his ice time. I think they should have played Romanov, but I'm no expert.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it's not so much that they signed plugs, but that they brought in veterans who weren't very good, played them in spite of rough patches, and sat younger players regardless of performance. KK left because he was sat for Staal, and, outside of maybe 8 playoff games it was a crazy choice. Romanov sat for a variety of weak players, but that was more reasonable as it was his first year in NA and he wasn't obviously better than the journeymen coming through then (he is now). Most NHL coaches will go with veterans over young guys if it's not a complete slam dunk, but Martin, Therrien, Julien, and even Ducharme were even more veteran-fixated. It must have killed Kotkaniemi to try to find Staal out on the ice while he was sitting out. Harris might have had visions of sitting in the pressbox watching someone like Savard failing to stop opposing forwards.

I'm not knocking Perry, he earned his ice time. I think they should have played Romanov, but I'm no expert.

Yes but it's not about having the plugs, it's about what the GM/coach have in strategy on how they play their players. So yeah, Ducharme got fired cause he lost the room with both the vets and the young players. He deserved it. Absolutely no excuses to how he managed the youth... especially in a tank year but he was probably in denial there was a problem.

All teams sign depth guys. That's not the problem. The problem is development and creating motivation

Last edited:
Reactions: dcyhabs

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Yes but it's not about having the plugs, it's about what the GM/coach have in strategy on how they play their players. So yeah, Ducharme got fired cause he lost the room with both the vets and the young players. He deserved it. Absolutely no excuses to how he managed the youth... especially in a tank year but he was probably in denial there was a problem.

All teams sign depth guys. That's not the problem.

The habs have a history of playing them to the detriment of the playoff run. Staal was egregious but they had Dwight King and others prior to that. MB has a history of digging up depth players who shouldn't leave the bench unless all other options are injured and habs coaches have a history of playing them anyway.

I agree that signing these guys is not a problem, and that the problem is playing them instead of better existing options.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

KK is playing 10 mins a night in Carolina. Its quite possible coaches don’t use him because he isn’t very good

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Can't fault them for the last playoffs... cup finals.

However, we can fault them for how they managed it this year cause there is zero excuses to not motivate and give opportunity to younger players.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Got it, thanks!

Those who know more, correct me where I am wrong...

Key dates:
* NCAA Frozen 4 tournament is Apr 7-9th
* NHL season ends Apr 29th for the Habs
* Harris can sign a ELC with anybody in Aug I believe (he will be 22 and can sign a 2 year ELC)

If Harris don't sign from Apr 10th - Apr 29th, he is as good as gone. Habs play 10 NHL games from the 11th to 29th. If Harris don't sign, he don't get signing bonus money (about $92K) and any prorated salary for those 10 games (maybe equals to about another $100k). If he don't sign with the Habs, he's throwing away about $200k of money.

The 2 or 3 year ELC is not a factor anymore. He's going to need an extension for his 2nd contract after this season and two more regardless on who he signs with.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Key dates:
* Harris can sign a ELC with anybody in Aug I believe (he will be 22 and can sign a 2 year ELC)

If Harris don't sign from Apr 10th - Apr 29th, he is as good as gone. Habs play 10 NHL games from the 11th to 29th. If Harris don't sign, he don't get signing bonus money (about $92K) and any prorated salary for those 10 games (maybe equals to about another $100k). If he don't sign with the Habs, he's throwing away about $200k of money.

The 2 or 3 year ELC is not a factor anymore. He's going to need an extension for his 2nd contract after this season and two more regardless on who he signs with.

All this makes sense.

But our GM coached him in Novice and knows him. So, that and Gorton and MSL could help our case, contract and games played aside.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All this makes sense.

But our GM coached him in Novice and knows him. So, that and Gorton and MSL could help our case, contract and games played aside.

I don't see any red flags and the road is set up for Harris to sign. If he does not, he really hates the Habs. He's garbage to me if he don't sign. There is no reason for him not to sign with our new management and team direction of youth and opportunity with proper development management

Said it before and will say it again. The CBA rules need to be adjusted. There is no way in hell anybody can convince me a 22 year old who has not played one NHL game can screw over the team that drafts them and become a UFA. They did not earn it! Basically, the team rights should be protected and if the team wants to sign their property, that player can either sign or sit at home.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't see any red flags and the road is set up for Harris to sign. If he does not, he really hates the Habs. He's garbage to me if he don't sign. There is no reason for him not to sign with our new management and team direction of youth and opportunity with proper development management

Said it before and will say it again. The CBA rules need to be adjusted. There is no way in hell anybody can convince me a 22 year old who has not played one NHL game can screw over the team that drafts them and become a UFA. They did not earn it! Basically, the team rights should be protected and if the team wants to sign their property, that player can either sign or sit at home.

I agree that the CBA rules need to be adjusted.

But if I really liked a city, I may sign there if I had the opportunity. For example, I'd like to think that if I were drafted in the NHL and came out of college as a ufa, I'd sign with the Habs, regardless of who drafted me. But in reality, my loyalties might change towards the organization that went out and drafted and developed me...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree that the CBA rules need to be adjusted.

But if I really liked a city, I may sign there if I had the opportunity. For example, I'd like to think that if I were drafted in the NHL and came out of college as a ufa, I'd sign with the Habs, regardless of who drafted me. But in reality, my loyalties might change towards the organization that went out and drafted and developed me...

Where I see things is players need to earn their UFA rights by actually playing in the NHL. It's a different story if the teams decides not to offer a contract though.

Habs own his rights and drafted him. We have done nothing but support his development and I just hate the idea that he even has the option to screw over the team that drafts him.

Call me old fashioned but you earn your rights with time spent and hard work.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does Hughes get a negative grade if he can't get Harris to sign? I personally would not blame him cause we have set up a structure for Harris to develop and get opportunity.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Carolina is an outstanding team, not the same situation.
Agreed, but he plays less the Lorentz and when they tried him in their top 6 he flopped.

Again, maybe he just isn’t that good and his coaches realize who he is

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Key dates:

The only thing I will add to those dates is that if Harris's team is eliminated from the NCAA tournament before the Frozen Four, he could sign before April 10th, as his season would be over.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Does Hughes get a negative grade if he can't get Harris to sign? I personally would not blame him cause we have set up a structure for Harris to develop and get opportunity.

No, if Harris doesn't sign here it's because he made up his mind on not signing here more than just a month ago when we hired Hughes

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
FWIW, I've seen Harris play in person and was not blown away by him. But, admittedly, that's a tiny sample size.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, if Harris doesn't sign here it's because he made up his mind on not signing here more than just a month ago when we hired Hughes

Very possible. Hopefully if that is true, Gorton/Hughes and some of the players from the US can change his mind.

Personally, I think he choose to play one more NCAA year just like what Evans and Poehling did. They were part of team and felt they could win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad