Prospect Info: Jordan Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Agreed. If he declines the 3 year ELC (burns one quickly this season) with the Habs, he is basically throwing $800K away. Anybody know if his family is rich? :sarcasm:

As far as UFA 1 year earlier, that depends on NHL games played. Need 40 games to kick start the RFA years I believe. It has nothing to do with contract and burning one year of his ELC.
He's a real smart, well spoken kid. I'd be willing to bet he'll take the business/money aspect of things quite seriously. He doesn't seem the type to sell himself short.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Agreed. If he declines the 3 year ELC (burns one quickly this season) with the Habs, he is basically throwing $800K away. Anybody know if his family is rich? :sarcasm:

As far as UFA 1 year earlier, that depends on NHL games played. Need 40 games to kick start the RFA years I believe. It has nothing to do with contract and burning one year of his ELC.
I didn’t know that information. I mean, I don’t think it would be wise for him to sit with his agent, rejecting 800k early in his career and reject the offer from Montreal. Montreal would be a perfect fit in term, which he could play rapidly in the pro team. Even if I like the potential of this player, we arent talking about The next superstar a la Adam Fox.. the best idea is to take this offer. Play some game this year, burn a year on elc and win this 800k.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I didn’t know that information. I mean, I don’t think it would be wise for him to sit with his agent, rejecting 800k early in his career and reject the offer from Montreal. Montreal would be a perfect fit in term, which he could play rapidly in the pro team. Even if I like the potential of this player, we arent talking about The next superstar a la Adam Fox.. the best idea is to take this offer. Play some game this year, burn a year on elc and win this 800k.

He has two choices...

1) 3 year ELC where he earns money this year by playing a few games ($800k +/-) with the Habs
vs
2) 2 year ELC cause he will be 22 in Aug (with any team)

His timing of when his 2nd contract has to be signed is the same.

However, if he is still playing NCAA (Frozen Four Tournament) and the Habs are finished the season, we can't offer him that 3 year ELC I believe. Not sure of the timing of when the frozen four ends vs when the NHL season ends.

Reactions: Hins77

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

I don't think he's said anything about not signing and I don't see an advantage for Harris in hiding his intentions. If he wants to play somewhere else the more time he gives the habs to work that out the better his chances are. I suppose Harris might want to wait until this season is over to announce what he will do, just not think about it for now, but I don't see much in it for him, other than peace of mind short term.

Harris seems like a serious guy, and he wants to finish school. I expect he'll sign and burn a year. If he's unhappy later he can always demand a trade after he burns the elc year.

Reactions: Hins77

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Habs can offer him this over most other teams...
* A higher performance bonus in his ELC.
* A roster that is going towards youth and he has a higher probability to play more NHL minutes

He basically gets a 2 year ELC regardless. With the Habs, he can get the 3 year (burns one year this season) where the difference is money. I'm assuming Caufield got his entire $792.5k salary for only playing 10 NHL regular season games last year?

What is the max amount you can sign someone in a ELC? Can you give him the same contract as KK got as a top 5 pick? Is there limits to what a 2nd/3rd rounder can get over a 1st rounder? :dunno:

If Harris decides not to sign with us, he basically throws away $800k or more (See what Caufield got below).

I2IYg9V.jpg
Contract values are pro-rated over the length of the season in days and I think there are about 187 or so days in a "regular" season. So a 800k yearly salary would be around 4,200 per day on the NHL roster, plus whatever he gets for a signing bonus. Assuming he was on the NHL roster for 25 days (those games last year were pretty close together), Cole would have earned about 30K. CC getting 792K over the last 10 games of the season equates to about 6m per year in salary.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Contract values are pro-rated over the length of the season in days and I think there are about 187 or so days in a "regular" season. So a 800k yearly salary would be around 4,200 per day on the NHL roster, plus whatever he gets for a signing bonus. Assuming he was on the NHL roster for 25 days (those games last year were pretty close together), Cole would have earned about 30K. CC getting 792K over the last 10 games of the season equates to about 6m per year in salary.
It's the signing bonuses people!

$100K regardless of games played + $100K again a few months later

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I was wondering how that worked. Thank you for correcting my brain cramp. :laugh:

I went back to Cap Friendly and it says Caufield's career earnings so far is $741k (what he made last year and this year so far). He got a $300k signing bonus this summer and $92k last year when he signed.

What is the largest signing bonus we can offer Harris?

Jul 6, 2016
Music to my ears. Development is deep in context and we have to do better but the best development is picking guys who are hungry to improve. Hunger and obsession to improve is the best development. The organization has a role but it's not the entire picture. Far from it

I'll echo your last statement... You want a good pipeline, scout well and draft often

Ducks are considered a very good drafting team. According to my research, their draft power from 08-21 has been top 15 or better the whole time. That's 14 draft years man!

No wonder they did not want to let loose Madden Jr to join another organisation.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Caufield got $300k this past summer. I'm wondering how high we can go with signing bonus this season and what we can offer him in July?
If you click the total on Cap Friendly, you can see how they came up with that number. They are assuming 300K in performance bonuses this year, which I doubt he gets all of.

The maximum signing bonus you can give on an ELC is 10% of the total, so 92,500$ per year. Total amount for all performance bonuses is 850k. Any individual bonus is capped at 212,500, but can be broken down to different levels (example: 100k for 10 goals, 112k for 10 more). an ELC can also include games played bonuses for 5, 10, and 10+ games. 5 games is capped at 25K. Any remaining games played bonuses has no limit, other than the total limit for a bonus (including the 25k for 5 games).

For a defenseman, the performance bonuses available to get (if negotiated for) are:
  • being top 4 in ice time (minimum 42 games played). For an ELC, this can be the total ice time, and/or per game ice time
  • total goals scored (minimum 10)
  • total assists (minimum 25
  • total points (minimum 40)
  • points per game (minimum 42 games, .49 ppg)
  • plus minus (top 3 of club D, 42 games minimum)
  • blocked shots (top 2 of club D, 42 games minimum)
  • End-of-season all-rookie team
  • NHL all star game
  • NHL all star MVP

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you click the total on Cap Friendly, you can see how they came up with that number. They are assuming 300K in performance bonuses this year, which I doubt he gets all of.

The maximum signing bonus you can give on an ELC is 10% of the total, so 92,500$ per year. Total amount for all performance bonuses is 850k. Any individual bonus is capped at 212,500, but can be broken down to different levels (example: 100k for 10 goals, 112k for 10 more). an ELC can also include games played bonuses for 5, 10, and 10+ games. 5 games is capped at 25K. Any remaining games played bonuses has no limit, other than the total limit for a bonus (including the 25k for 5 games).

For a defenseman, the performance bonuses available to get (if negotiated for) are:
  • being top 4 in ice time (minimum 42 games played). For an ELC, this can be the total ice time, and/or per game ice time
  • total goals scored (minimum 10)
  • total assists (minimum 25
  • total points (minimum 40)
  • points per game (minimum 42 games, .49 ppg)
  • plus minus (top 3 of club D, 42 games minimum)
  • blocked shots (top 2 of club D, 42 games minimum)
  • End-of-season all-rookie team
  • NHL all star game
  • NHL all star MVP

I'm not having a good day lol. I seen the $300k and assumed it was signing bonus but it's performance bonus. Weird how Cap Friendly calculates that he gets his performance bonus eh?

So If I assume this correctly, the largest signing bonus we can give Harris is $92k? If he chooses not to sign, he throws away that and whatever prorated salary he would get to finish the year?

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
I would think that Hughes has already spoken to Harris about his intentions. If Harris told the team that he is absolutely not signing with them, he’ll most likely be included in one of the trades leading up the deadline. If he’s still a Hab after the trade deadline, I’m pretty confident that he will sign with us.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'd be surprised if he doesn't sign now.

With Bergevin, he probably saw us trading for plugs like Merrill/Gustaffson etc for the bottom pairing and dinosaur coaches playing these guys over young kids.

Under the new management, there will be plenty of opportunities to gain a spot on our D, and now we have a coach who is willing to play and work with our young guys to help them improve.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022

With Bergevin, he probably saw us trading for plugs like Merrill/Gustaffson etc for the bottom pairing and dinosaur coaches playing these guys over young kids.

Under the new management, there will be plenty of opportunities to gain a spot on our D, and now we have a coach who is willing to play and work with our young guys to help them improve.

I’d be surprised too, especially given Billy Jaffe’s tweet yesterday. He’s about as well connected in Boston as they come.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I don't think plugs or no plugs factor into Harris's decision

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Harris is signing with the Habs. Maybe he would have with Bergevin, but 100% with Gorton, MSL and Hughes. Why wouldn't you want to go somewhere that's like home to you and you can trust will do all they can to make you a success within their organization. There is literally no other org in the NHL where the GM, coach and VP will know him better. It couldn't have been planned better if they tried.

I say the matter is closed and he's signing the second his college year is over.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Harris is signing with the Habs. Maybe he would have with Bergevin, but 100% with Gorton, MSL and Hughes. Why wouldn't you want to go somewhere that's like home to you and you can trust will do all they can to make you a success within their organization. There is literally no other org in the NHL where the GM, coach and VP will know him better. It couldn't have been planned better if they tried.

I say the matter is closed and he's signing the second his college year is over.
Let's hope. It looks like a poised, mobile and offensively minded defensive corps is in the works. About time the team adapted to the modern game.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I don't think plugs or no plugs factor into Harris's decision

Maybe it was one of the concerns that led to changing the coach? It wouldn't be only for Harris but if Ducharme wasn't getting respect and/or his system wasn't popular it might make it harder to bring new players in.

I suppose that now that they have signaled the rebuild it will take the pressure off. The team and coach have an easy answer to unrealistic media with bitchy questions.

Based on how Ducharme looked on TV he may have wanted out and may be very happy to leave with his salary and no heart attack.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe it was one of the concerns that led to changing the coach? It wouldn't be only for Harris but if Ducharme wasn't getting respect and/or his system wasn't popular it might make it harder to bring new players in.

I suppose that now that they have signaled the rebuild it will take the pressure off. The team and coach have an easy answer to unrealistic media with bitchy questions.

Based on how Ducharme looked on TV he may have wanted out and may be very happy to leave with his salary and no heart attack.

I can agree with Ducharme's inability to manage youth as a problem. But signing plugs? I don't agree with. Every team does it

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I'm hoping the left side of our D-squad next year consists of Edmundson, Romanov and Harris to start, with Guhle potentially added after Eddy is traded (and if Laval is not playoff bound). The right side should be filled with quality vets that can eat minutes, like Savard.

Reactions: dralaf

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I can agree with Ducharme's inability to manage youth as a problem. But signing plugs? I don't agree with. Every team does it
Fine, but playing the plugs over more deserving guys just because they're vets / have experience? It's not ideal, and I'm sure it bothers younger players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fine, but playing the plugs over more deserving guys just because they're vets / have experience? It's not ideal, and I'm sure it bothers younger players.

That falls in line with inability to manage youth which is on Ducharme. But having depth guys in the mix is not a reason I see Harris not wanting to sign. It would be more on Ducharme than it would be about our depth charts.

It's about how you mange the ice time and circumstances of opportunity. Not about the depth charts. Does Gorton/Hughes/MSL help? Yeah, from what we have seen so far, I would say yes.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I'm hoping the left side of our D-squad next year consists of Edmundson, Romanov and Harris to start, with Guhle potentially added after Eddy is traded (and if Laval is not playoff bound). The right side should be filled with quality vets that can eat minutes, like Savard.

Maybe unlike Savard? He was a reasonable lower pairing minute eater 2-3 years ago but his game has been plummeting. It just wasn't as obvious when he was on a good team that could shelter him as opposed to a bad team that needed him to contribute.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Maybe unlike Savard? He was a reasonable lower pairing minute eater 2-3 years ago but his game has been plummeting. It just wasn't as obvious when he was on a good team that could shelter him as opposed to a bad team that needed him to contribute.

A Savard-like D is good enough for now, would come cheap and without much term. Just band-aids to help the younguns along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad