Speculation: Joonas Korpisalo trade to Leafs

kb

Aug 28, 2009
They also looking for a top 6 winger.

Johnsson for Korpisalo + Dubinsky (if he goes on LTIR)
The Leafs aren't taking back anyone's any LTIR contracts. That will just hamstring them at the deadline when they can only do cap in, cap out moves.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The Leafs aren't taking any LTIR contracts. That will just hamstring them at the deadline when they can only do cap in, cap out moves.
Agreed but it won't.

Leafs will go over the cap as much as Dubinskis cap hit. So as long as they meet the 81.5 cap for everything else, they should be fine.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
They also looking for a top 6 winger.

Johnsson for Korpisalo + Dubinsky (if he goes on LTIR)

Then you are wasting an asset that could be used to upgrade the team elsewhere. Goaltending is not a priority. IF I am going your route, however, then I am moving Campbell and running with Korpi/Andy as a tandem. I am not running with Soupy/Korpi as a tandem, how is that an upgrade?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Agreed but it won't.

Leafs will go over the cap as much as Dubinskis cap hit. So as long as they meet the 81.5 cap for everything else, they should be fine.
It will hamstring them. They can't do what you are saying. Their effective cap limit would essentially be $75.65M (The maximum cap - Dubinsky's cap hit) as LTIR is not free space, and that's not how it works.

To be able to use all of Dubinsky's LTIR, the Leafs would have to get as close to the $81.5M cap as possible (setting the ACSL) on opening day with Dubinsky and his cap hit on the active roster. So the Leafs would have to make cap clearing trades to fit Dubinsky's cap hit under the $81.5M limit, since all NHL contracts above the buriable limit count towards the cap and must be counted.

So the Leafs would be required to trade away cap totaling at least $5.85M just to fit Dubinsky under the $81.5M cap on the opening day roster, and then he can be put on LTIR.

Now it should be obvious that the problem is the Leafs already traded away the very players they would have liked to add using the LTIR (in cap clearing moves) just to fit Dubinsky on the roster and be cap compliant, as teams can't just leave players (and their cap hits) off the roster and then add them in later. Every dollar over the buriable limit on every NHL contract counts towards the cap on opening day.

Hope that makes it clearer why this won't, nor should it be done. Plus they don't accrue cap space over the season either if they are into LTIR.

Last edited:
Reactions: htpwn

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
It will. They can't do what you are saying. Their effective cap limit would essentially be $75.65M (The maximum cap - Dubinsky's cap hit) as LTIR is not free space, and that's not how it works.

To be able to use all of Dubinsky's LTIR, the Leafs would have to get as close to the $81.5M cap as possible (setting the ACSL) on opening day with Dubinsky and his cap hit on the active roster. So the Leafs would have to make cap clearing trades to fit Dubinsky's cap hit under the $81.5M limit, since all NHL contracts above the buriable limit count towards the cap.

So the Leafs would be required to trade away cap totaling at least $5.85M just to fit Dubinsky under the $81.5M cap on the opening day roster, and then he can be put on LTIR.

Now it should be obvious that the problem is the Leafs already traded away the very players they would have liked to add (in cap clearing moves) just to fit Dubinsky on the roster and be cap compliant, as teams can't just leave players (and their cap hits) off the roster and then add them in later. Every dollar over the buriable limit on every NHL contract counts towards the cap on opening day.

Hope that makes it clearer why this won't, nor should it be done. Plus they don't accrue cap space over the season either if they are into LTIR.

To add to this Dubas has stated he wants to have cap room this TDL to add to the time this year. He is very reluctant to go the LTIR route gain and he is not doing it to acquire a back up to 1 B goalie in a market awash with goalies.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
It will. They can't do what you are saying. Their effective cap limit would essentially be $75.65M (The maximum cap - Dubinsky's cap hit) as LTIR is not free space, and that's not how it works.

To be able to use all of Dubinsky's LTIR, the Leafs would have to get as close to the $81.5M cap as possible (setting the ACSL) on opening day with Dubinsky and his cap hit on the active roster. So the Leafs would have to make cap clearing trades to fit Dubinsky's cap hit under the $81.5M limit, since all NHL contracts above the buriable limit count towards the cap.

Now it should be obvious that the problem is the Leafs already traded away the very players they would have liked to add (in cap clearing moves) just to fit Dubinsky on the roster and be cap compliant, as teams can't just leave players (and their cap hits) off the roster and then add them in later. Every dollar over the buriable limit on every NHL contract counts towards the cap on opening day.

To add to this Dubas has stated he wants to have cap room this TDL to add to the time this year. He is very reluctant to go the LTIR route again and he is not doing it to acquire a back up to 1 B goalie in a market awash with goalies.

Reactions: htpwn

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
He’s done for: A Farewell To Brandon Dubinksy

I don’t think there is an official injury reserve over the offseason; players are added the first day of the season...no idea why cap friendly has some players on IR in off season...

There is offseason IR but it’s reserved for players who have been sitting the whole year or have been on for X amount of time. I don’t remember the exact requirements

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
There is offseason IR but it’s reserved for players who have been sitting the whole year or have been on for X amount of time. I don’t remember the exact requirements
Gotchya thanks: I couldn’t find anything. I remember a bunch of players are put on LTIR every year; it might be based on diagnosis?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Gotchya thanks: I couldn’t find anything. I remember a bunch of players are put on LTIR every year; it might be based on diagnosis?

Can LTIR be used in the off-season?

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed.

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The problem with this idea is i doubt the Leafs will be looking to trade much for a goalie, especially with free agency on the horizon.

Maybe if they'd consider Kerfoot or Johnsson, but thats about it.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Jeez Dubas, just trade Marner or Nylander for a top 4 RHD defenseman who's good defensively (2-way player)...

Andersen is not the problem, the teams skewd balance is.

Giovanni Martino

Aug 12, 2020
The Fourth Period is reporting that the Toronto Maple Leafs may be interested in Columbus goaltender Joonas Korpisalo.

The Maple Leafs seem to be in on every netminder as they contemplate dealing Frederik Andersen who is in his last season of a five-year contract and has yet to win a playoff series for the blue and white. If there is a deal to be made, Toronto would likely need to take back Brandon Dubinsky whose career seems to be over, but still carries a $5.85 million salary cap hit, something the Blue Jackets want to get rid of as they don't want to pay out the actual cash to the center. The player coming back, should there be a trade, will be less, if Dubinsky is part of the deal.

what would leafs give for korpi? Heard my jackets are looking for #2 center!

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Jeez Dubas, just trade Marner or Nylander for a top 4 RHD defenseman who's good defensively (2-way player)...

Andersen is not the problem, the teams skewd balance is.

Andersen was statistically one of the worst goalies in the league last season. The Leafs underlying defensive metrics weren't bad at all and they were much improved from years prior.

Mar 26, 2010
Nylander would certainly fit the bill of a scoringW and 2C they've been looking for. Korpisalo and Savard would be up the Leafs' alley.

You guys come up with the proposal.
Korpisalo is not even a starting point for Willy Nylander. If Columbus wants him, the price is much higher.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I wasn't talking about that trade. I was asking about Nylander for Jones & asking you if you thought CBJ would do it.

I never said they would do it. I just said it makes no sense to trade Nylander for anything less than Werenski/Jones. If you were the Leafs, would you trade a first line RW for a goalie who played behind one of the best D in the league? Right after witnessing what happened to Bobrovsky?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Andersen was statistically one of the worst goalies in the league last season. The Leafs underlying defensive metrics weren't bad at all and they were much improved from years prior.

Why would anyone bank on Korpisalo to be an upgrade? What's so special about him? A whopping .002 better save % last year than Fred. If you're moving on from Fred, you better be damn sure you're getting a clear upgrade. This is not it, IMO. I'd be fine with Andersen for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad