Speculation: Joonas Korpisalo trade to Leafs

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
this is the only reason I can see that Leafs would prefer Korpi to Freddy.

And I don’t see any great financial benefit to CBJ to include Dubinsky, and it would eliminate some financial benefit to Leafs.

Yeah on the financial side you'd have to think Wennberg would be the "better" fit for both parties, and I don't love it for the Leafs. 6 years is a long time to eat that 900k

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How long have the Leafs been a goalie graveyard before they traded for Andersen? I’m trying to recall the last good goalie they had before him. And now they want to move on? They’d better have a better plan than a Korp/Campbell combo if that’s their decision. The media/fans will eat Dubas alive if he goes that route.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Nylander would certainly fit the bill of a scoringW and 2C they've been looking for. Korpisalo and Savard would be up the Leafs' alley.

You guys come up with the proposal.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Im not arguing for this move necessarily, but the argument for moving Freddy isn't because we blame him or don't think he is good enough as people here seem to be thinking. It's because he IS good, and only has 1 year left at 5m before he probably becomes too expensive for our cap situation. With how many goalies are available this offseason, I can't entirely fault Leafs management if they want to get ahead of this, or at least explore it, while they still can get something for him and reasonably expect to be able to replace him

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Jesus. Just get some defense for the goalie. Same problem with all the other goalies they’ve had the last 15 years. Culpability continues to be put on the goalies when the management still has yet to put a reliable defense in front of them the better part of the last two decades.

Reimer sucked

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I'm pretty sure Korpisalo will not be traded, why would you not play Andersen, he's been a solid #1 during his tenure in TOR

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
(1) The Leafs finally got out of the LTIR situation with the expiry of Horton's contract this off-season. Up until then, it made sense to add additional contracts (ex. Clarkson last year), because once a team is in LTIR, there is no real downside to adding more LTIR contracts. But LTIR is NOT free cap space. There are numerous downsides to being in LTIR, ranging from complications at the beginning of the regular season to impacts on how performance bonuses are counted. Pagnotta (of The Fourth Period) should know better: no team is going to willing go into LTIR unless it is made worth their while. The going rate for that is a 1st round pick.

(2) His remarkable playoffs aside, Korpisalo is a below average goalie: .908SV% for his career; .911SV% last year in front of a fairly solid defence. There are reasons why the Leafs might consider swapping out Andersen for another goalie (has more to do with his contract situation than his play), but I'm doubtful Korpisalo is established enough to fill the role the Leafs would want him to fill. Even if I'm wrong and Dubas is interested, given the below average career stats and the generally low value of goalies in general, I'd probably offer a 3rd + prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
That would be huge for the leafs.

The recency bias on this website is unreal.

Korpisalo is still fairly young for a goalie and may grow into a good starter, but he's simply not been very good over his career so far. Had a good 9 game run in the playoffs.

Reactions: Kurtz

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Jesus. Just get some defense for the goalie. Same problem with all the other goalies they’ve had the last 15 years. Culpability continues to be put on the goalies when the management still has yet to put a reliable defense in front of them the better part of the last two decades.

Exactly. There has to be many times in the last 3-4 years that Andersen would be shell-shocked after having seen so much rubber coming his way. He does have the odd tendency to let in a soft one, but I’m sure if he had a better defence in front of him, this would rarely happen.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think it is a good fit conceptually.

Insured players aren't entirely covered by insurance. Trading Dubinsky probably saves them a good chunk of change and Korpisalo is a bit of an expensive luxury as well. Dubois isn't going to be cheap and losing both guys saves 8.5M on cap which gives them more than enough space without resorting to using Dubinsky's LTIR exception.

For the Leafs, they're going to be against the cap anyway, so going over it with LTIR money isn't a big deal. Dubinsky si pretty meaningless. Also, Korpisalo is a good "push" to a guy like Andersen in case of struggles. Plus he's signed for one more season, so if he does take over the job, it won't immediately jack-up the Leafs salary. After taking on Dubinsky, the cost should be much reduced as well, allowing the Leafs to pick up someone withotu paying UFA prices or giving up real assets.
Yeah usually it is about 80 percent insured...so the Jackets are in the hook for less than 1.2M. I don’t think that moves the needle much for Columbus to give a major discount on Korpi. If it was an issue they could probably trade a third or 4th to move him to another team...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The recency bias on this website is unreal.

Korpisalo is still fairly young for a goalie and may grow into a good starter, but he's simply not been very good over his career so far. Had a good 9 game run in the playoffs.

I basically said this in my post lol. Also, to preform in the playoffs like that can’t be discounted. Yes, it’s recent and yes it’s a small sample size but it’s not insignificant.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
How long have the Leafs been a goalie graveyard before they traded for Andersen? I’m trying to recall the last good goalie they had before him. And now they want to move on? They’d better have a better plan than a Korp/Campbell combo if that’s their decision. The media/fans will eat Dubas alive if he goes that route.

Reimer the last goalie if you wanna count that, besides that your going back to Ed Belfour

You'd figure the plan would be to significantly improve the D if the goalie combo is this. Pietroangelo is a must have if your dumping Andersen who has carried our crappy defence to the playoffs every season.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

horner

May 22, 2007
The Fourth Period is reporting that the Toronto Maple Leafs may be interested in Columbus goaltender Joonas Korpisalo.

The Maple Leafs seem to be in on every netminder as they contemplate dealing Frederik Andersen who is in his last season of a five-year contract and has yet to win a playoff series for the blue and white. If there is a deal to be made, Toronto would likely need to take back Brandon Dubinsky whose career seems to be over, but still carries a $5.85 million salary cap hit, something the Blue Jackets want to get rid of as they don't want to pay out the actual cash to the center. The player coming back, should there be a trade, will be less, if Dubinsky is part of the deal.

what would leafs give for korpi? Heard my jackets are looking for #2 center!
Nothing
We will take korpi for taking dubinsky
Sorry bud we don't need more salary.
I believe the idea of trading Anderson is to get rid of his cap hit and bring in a cheaper netminder.
I would trade for korpi but we can't take dubinsky .

horner

May 22, 2007
Nothing
We will take korpi for taking dubinsky
Sorry bud we don't need more salary.
I believe the idea of trading Anderson is to get rid of his cap hit and bring in a cheaper netminder.
I would trade for korpi but we can't take dubinsky .

It will cost them a first to get rid of dubinsky.​

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It will cost them a first to get rid of dubinsky.​
No? Dubinsky is on LTIR and is insured I believe, so his dollar cost is like 1.2M and his cap hit is 0...

Marleau went for a first because a team has to assume his cap hit for a year...Staal went for a 2nd due to his cap hit for a year

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Korpisalo could pan out as a great goalie, you never know.

So why are we trading Andersen for a "maybe"? Is a Korpi/Campbell tandem clearly better than Andersen as your #1? No, I don't think so. IMO, you trade Andersen for a clear upgrade, and even then you still need to round out the team better. Otherwise, I ride out the season with Andy and figure things out next summer.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So why are we trading Andersen for a "maybe"? IMO, you trade Andersen for a clear upgrade, and even then you still need to round out the team better. Otherwise, I ride out the season with Andy and figure things out next summer.

I didn't propose trading Andersen for Korpisalo, but replacing the former with the latter would be a cap savings move with an eye to the future.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Korpisalo could pan out as a great goalie, you never know.

Maybe... but I dont think hes on the verge of anything great, or even average amongst starters, and I dont think Toronto is the place to do it. No denying his talent, but he's a huge question mark. Toronto doesn't need more of those.

horner

May 22, 2007
No? Dubinsky is on LTIR and is insured I believe, so his dollar cost is like 1.2M and his cap hit is 0...

Marleau went for a first because a team has to assume his cap hit for a year...Staal went for a 2nd due to his cap hit for a year

Capfriendly says he is on there cap for his full contract.
Not on IR.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Well, Tavares has a NMC, and Matthews isn't going for Korpisalo.....kinda leaves one option?
They also looking for a top 6 winger.

Johnsson for Korpisalo + Dubinsky (if he goes on LTIR)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad